CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

If you reside in Canada - and purchase an item from the USA - you need to educate yourself as to the fact that you WILL be paying applicable taxes and possibly duties on the item when it crosses the border into Canada.

Yes, if the item is shipped by postal service, your "brokerage handling fee" will be a nominal $5 or $8 - plus the applicable taxes for your province (and possibly duties, but seldom are they charged.)

And yes, MANY times the items shipped by postal service are NOT charged taxes or duties incoming - so sometimes you will escape paying the taxes that are due to the Canadian and provincial governments.

However, you should ALWAYS - and I stress ALWAYS! - calculate the cost of the taxes and possibly duties into the decision to make a purchase internationally.

Additionally, if your item is sent by the USA seller (or other international seller) through a courier service (for example, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.) then your applicable brokerage fee will be upwards of $25, on a sliding scale dependent upon the value of the incoming item.

Yes, these fees (brokerage, tax, duty) are ALL part of the cost of buying an item internationally and having it shipped to you in Canada.

It is NOT up to the seller to pay these for you - YOU are the importer of record - YOU are the one who will be billed for these charges - YOU are the one who will NOT get your parcel until you pay these charges.

So - before hitting the "BID NOW" button, do a bit of calculating and make an informed decision to see if it is really worth getting that imported widget!

Happy Bidding, Folks!
:-D
Photobucket

Message 1 of 628
latest reply
627 REPLIES 627

Re: CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

I read somewhere that books are exempt from the $20 thing.

Does that mean if I purchased a used book (under $15 not including shipping), from a seller in the USA, will I have to pay any duties?

Message 521 of 628
latest reply

Most eBay sellers send items as Gift by their own volition. However, Canada Customs charges are negligible and never should cause distress in buyers. UPS is the cause of stress that is unpredictable and its big-belly dumb delivery guys at your door suddenly may ask for $20/$40/$60 extra for bla bla surcharge before handing parcel to you.:_|

Message 522 of 628
latest reply

You are correct.

Technically, books, magazines, etc... are not eligible to the $20 exemption:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

However, I am not aware of any instances recently where tax was in fact charged when importing a book with a value under $20

Message 523 of 628
latest reply

Most eBay sellers send items as Gift by their own volition. However, Canada Customs charges are negligible and never should cause distress in buyers. UPS is the cause of stress that is unpredictable and its big-belly dumb delivery guys at your door suddenly may ask for $20/$40/$60 extra for bla bla surcharge before handing parcel to you.:_|

UPS charges for items from the USA is very predictable  All you have to do is look at their rate table online. Understanding the rate table may be a challenge to some but the schedule of charges is there.

Items sent by USPS and delivered by Canada Post are predictable as to charges. Handling fee of $8.50 + sales taxes + duty if applicable if over $20.

However, what is unpredictable is whether you will be charged what is supposed to be due when shipped by USPS /Canada Post. Many items that should have charges are not because Canada Customs does not seem to have the manpower to access all shipments entering the country. Canadians are simply lucky when some of their items get through without charges.

Message 524 of 628
latest reply

11heeed
Community Member

Same here. Haven't paid a dime and hope it stays that way!

Message 525 of 628
latest reply

danceswithuglywomen
Community Member

CC's post should be standard reading for new members of eBay Canada. A must know.

I'm not sure if someone else has mentioned this, This is a huge thread but:

I have found that if I can't find an item and must buy from the US and sellers shipping is UPS, asking if they are willing to ship USPS will get about a 90% yes. The 10% that say no, well, I guess I won't buy it because UPS has gouged my eyes out one too many times. They ALWAYS charge added brokerage fees.  I will 'NEVER' use private shipping services again for US items to Canada. X-( Sometime USPS may be a couple dollars more but usually that will be all a buyer pays so it's worth it; usually not always.

I've had good luck with not being charged anything for duty taxes through USPS although higher priced non-US electronics are the ones USPS has charged me some duties.

If you must shop US, ask and make sure they ship USPS. A lot that quote UPS with ship USPS.

Message 526 of 628
latest reply

Canada Post actually does not charge anything!

Customs and Excise charge the items and Canada Post just collects it, for them.

Just trying to clarify things Lol

Shona

Message 527 of 628
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I refused to bid or buy anything if the sellers prefer to ship by UPS or other courier that will make me pay for brokerage fees.  I always ask the sellers if they would ship them by USPS, if they say NO, then they don't get my business at all.  They can ship them by USPS but for some reasons they prefer courier. 

I often get parcels through FedEX from USA and never had to pay anything extra.  UPS is the worst one for $$$$$$$$$$$.

Message 528 of 628
latest reply

Canada Post actually does not charge anything!

Customs and Excise charge the items and Canada Post just collects it, for them.

Just trying to clarify things Lol

Shona

The $8.50 handling fee goes to Canada Post that is why it is called a handling fee.

Message 529 of 628
latest reply

Its not just this .. SHIPPING...Why does Ebay not split Canada from the USA.  USA need's us to help move their economy.  My god people .. keep up the attitude.  Look at China .. when they say Free Shipping they mean it.  Not in the USA listings ... they say FREE SHIPPING then ... you find out ... gee not for Canada ... but only if you scroll down!  ... .  Canada the USA treats us like .. crap .. all the time.  Look at what they are charging now from the USA to CANADA .. any were from $5.00 to $30.00 depending on how much they like to rip off Canada .. I will state this .. if EBAY does not sort this out .. like gee .. no more saying "Free" if its only for their Country.  Hmm also people that put shipping at $100 and the item for .01 .. needs to get a brain .... EBAY should stop this practice.  EBAY should start cracking down on China for counterfiting ... like "BUCK KNIFES" and much more .. like "Silver" from China is not REAL ... its fake.

Message 530 of 628
latest reply

"Why does Ebay not split Canada from the USA"

???

That was done eleven years ago.

If you want to view items available to Canada, check listings on eBay.ca, not eBay.com (USA).

" Hmm also people that put shipping at $100 and the item for .01 .. needs to get a brain .... EBAY should stop this practice"

eBay does have a policy prohibiting such practice.

Message 531 of 628
latest reply

Canada the USA treats us like .. crap .. all the time.  Look at what they are charging now from the USA to CANADA .. any were from $5.00 to $30.00 depending on how much they like to rip off Canada .. I will state this .. if EBAY does not sort this out .. like gee .. no more saying "Free" if its only for their Country.

It is the individual sellers (not the "USA") that set their shipping prices and some choose to ship with delivery confirmation so that they can be protected with ebay/paypal seller protection. Delivery confirmation from the U.S.- Canada starts at about 20/$25 so it is expensive. Those that use first class international are paying less money to ship and in most cases will charge less money to the buyer. Some sellers are not willing to use first class as it doesn't have delivery confirmation..that's their choice just as it is your choice to buy or not buy from them.

You really think that if a seller ships free within the U.S. then they have to ship free to Canada? I'm sorry but in many cases that isn't reasonable because it costs less to ship within the U.S. than it does to ship to Canada.  A small item with delivery confirmation within the U.S. may cost the a seller a few dollars. To send that same small item to Canada with delivery confirmation costs more than $20. It isn't reasonable to expect a seller to take an extra $15+ out of their profit to pay for shipping to another country.

Message 532 of 628
latest reply

I often send the attached to sellers that do not offer to send via USPS.

Message 533 of 628
latest reply

I understand the purpose of your letter.

However, you shoudl correct it for avccuracies.

Also, the following statement is against Canadian laws:

'Most shippers will mark the form "Gift" and shown an amount of less than US$40.00, this saves us money. The government has enough already. 🙂 Of course do not include an invoice in the shipment. Duh! Some shippers even include a note or card wishing "Uncle Bob" or "Aunt Mae" a Happy Birthday."

Message 534 of 628
latest reply

Hi I have been reading about the taxes and duty or brokerage fees. I am still new so I bought an item from usa and hong kong (both under 20 dollars) and they are shipped Economy Int'l Shipping to Canada, will I have to pay some big brokerage fee or no brokerage fee?

Thanks for your time and help.

Message 535 of 628
latest reply

Brokerage fee is usually charged by UPS and similar highway robbers, not for cheap items shipped by USPS of Canada Post.

Message 536 of 628
latest reply

Ok. so orders with Economy Int'l Shipping or Standard Int'l are Not sent by UPS, so I won't be charged brokerage fees?

Thanks

Message 537 of 628
latest reply

No you don't. Just remember in all your eBay purchases just prior to paying, add a note to seller that:

Safe delivery to USA/Canada requires rigid box or/and enough bubble wrap...B-)

Message 538 of 628
latest reply

Thank you very much for the information. I am happy I won't have to pay Brokerage Fees.

Good idea about the bubble wrap. 🙂

Message 539 of 628
latest reply

im charged taxes or duty for items sent via USPS like 1 in 20.

UPS and fedEX is a different story. no matter how big or small im always charged. They also provide very poor service in my city (especially UPS).

Message 540 of 628
latest reply