CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

If you reside in Canada - and purchase an item from the USA - you need to educate yourself as to the fact that you WILL be paying applicable taxes and possibly duties on the item when it crosses the border into Canada.

Yes, if the item is shipped by postal service, your "brokerage handling fee" will be a nominal $5 or $8 - plus the applicable taxes for your province (and possibly duties, but seldom are they charged.)

And yes, MANY times the items shipped by postal service are NOT charged taxes or duties incoming - so sometimes you will escape paying the taxes that are due to the Canadian and provincial governments.

However, you should ALWAYS - and I stress ALWAYS! - calculate the cost of the taxes and possibly duties into the decision to make a purchase internationally.

Additionally, if your item is sent by the USA seller (or other international seller) through a courier service (for example, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.) then your applicable brokerage fee will be upwards of $25, on a sliding scale dependent upon the value of the incoming item.

Yes, these fees (brokerage, tax, duty) are ALL part of the cost of buying an item internationally and having it shipped to you in Canada.

It is NOT up to the seller to pay these for you - YOU are the importer of record - YOU are the one who will be billed for these charges - YOU are the one who will NOT get your parcel until you pay these charges.

So - before hitting the "BID NOW" button, do a bit of calculating and make an informed decision to see if it is really worth getting that imported widget!

Happy Bidding, Folks!
:-D
Photobucket

Message 1 of 628
latest reply
627 REPLIES 627

That listing was offered at auction for US$ 400.00 - you used the Buy-it-Now option at US$ 650,00 - paying $250.00 more than the starting bid price to acquire the item.

What were you thinking?

I understand you are new to eBay but, quite frankly, that is no reason to blame the seller. Buyers have to be responsible for their actions.

Did you take the time to examine the $160 invoice from UPS?  How much was for GST? HST? PST? Duty?

Message 501 of 628
latest reply

Non Canadian sellers outside Canada are not entitled to GST or HST or charging any Canadian tax on their goods sold to buyers inside Canada. Never happeded to me on eBay or elsewhere. Any seller who adds such charges is a crooked seller...avoid him.

Message 502 of 628
latest reply

Its not ransom.

Its business.

If you drove across the border, purchased $650 US$ of goods - chances are pretty good that you MIGHT get back across with it (IF you declared it!) but chances are also pretty good that you will get the "pull over and go inside" routine and have to pay duty and taxes on the item.

Do NOT blame the seller.

Blame yourself for being UNINFORMED!

Photobucket

Message 503 of 628
latest reply

Another attempt, I was informed that I could return my purchase but I would be out the 160 plus another 160 to send it back to the boarder.

Wendy, if you had returned the saddle you would be responsible for the return shipping charges but you would be able to recover duty and taxes paid to Canada Customs if you could show them that the item had been sent back. You would not get back the brokerage fees that UPS had charged.

Please understand that the seller had nothing to do with the COD charge and probably had no idea that any fees would be charged to you. It is up to the person who imports a product (you) to know if there will be any fees, taxes and/or duty charged once the item has been received.

Regardless of where you buy online..when you purchase from the U.S., make sure that the item is not being sent by UPS or other couriers. If it is being sent by the post office, you may still owe duty and tax but the other fees will be quite a bit less.

Message 504 of 628
latest reply

"but the other fees will be quite a bit less"

Maybe, maybe not.

The buyer did not indicate if a brokerage fee was actually charged.  Most UPS services do not require additional fees for Customs clearance.  Only the Standard Service (cheapest) requires additional fees.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Considering the item was delivered in three days - during the Christmas rush - it is quite possible a Premium service was used and there would have been no brokerage fee as such.  Of course, duty (if applicable), HST/GST and/or PST are payable (and small fees such as COD and disbursement).

If it had been shipped by USPS and transferred to Canada Post at the border, brokerage fee would have been $8.50, duty and taxes exactly the same, and delivery would be sometimes in January, not Christmas Eve.

Message 505 of 628
latest reply

gry3v
Community Member

I think everybody who is purchasing items from US should also read this

http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

The website explains how to avoid those ridiculous UPS "brokerage" fees.

In my opinion those fees are the main reason why Ebay in NA is a dead-born-child.

world citizen

Message 506 of 628
latest reply

One Correction should be made to there statement .. ALL BUYERS .. I am canadian seller and have experienced this with US buyers all the time U.K,France,Mexico EVERYWHERE . Your thread to me is well stated but almost offensive to me because I am Canadian it seems as though you are saying Dumb Canadians whn it is everyone new to ebay all over the world

Message 507 of 628
latest reply

One Correction should be made to there statement .. ALL BUYERS .. I am canadian seller and have experienced this with US buyers all the time U.K,France,Mexico EVERYWHERE . Your thread to me is well stated but almost offensive to me because I am Canadian it seems as though you are saying Dumb Canadians whn it is everyone new to ebay all over the world

Maybe the OP said Canadians because it was posted on a Canadian board and it refers to things such as the $20 limit which is not applicable in other countries?

Message 508 of 628
latest reply

absolutely! i purchased from a US seller because they stated they shipped USPS, but they didn't and shipped UPS! i knew before i bought of the possible charges, and i also knew UPS is outrageous as they are unregulated..........so i went ahead and purchased, now only to refuse package and try and get seller to cover those charges for their not as described details!!

Message 509 of 628
latest reply

...and soon you discover that PAyPal is siding with the seller on this matter and you even have to pay for return postage:_| ....let us know what is the end result. Thanks.

Message 510 of 628
latest reply

will let you know outcome thanks. i haven't accepted package yet, so if seller isn't willing to cover charges, they will get a returned package via UPS, no cost to me, i will claim with paypal item returned, and seller will have to refund in full!

Message 511 of 628
latest reply

Very clever trick. Did you open the package or just refused to receive the package when the XL-big-belly UPS guy knocked at your door? Did you have to deliever the package all the way to UPS depot or agency in town to be returned? This is tricky too.

Message 512 of 628
latest reply

USPS - United States Postal Service is fine, regular fees.  UPS - United Parcel Service is crazy, ridiculous brokerage fees.  I bought over $1,500.00 worth of costume jewelry, cost to me via UPS including all fees was half the price I paid apparoximatley 6 months later when I made another large order and asked for it to be sent USPS - specifically. Since then I NEVER have items shipped UPS - the pricing is ridiculous!  Once burnt twice shy.

Message 513 of 628
latest reply

you'll be happy (i am)  to know the seller refunded the extra charges so i am now on my way to pick up my package, luckily it's not too far 🙂 now lets hope the goods were worth it :-}

Message 514 of 628
latest reply

i refused the UPS package when it came to the door initially, told him to take it back, then telephoned UPS and explained the situation, they put it on hold for 5 days so it wasn't shipped back until i tried to resolve my issue. i'm sure they will redeliver but i'd rather go get it since its Friday!

Message 515 of 628
latest reply

I am very familiar with all the rules about shipping to Canada and never purchase anything that is sent by any courier.  Everything I buy is shipped USPS.  Maybe customs are sleeping when it comes to me.......I have never paid any duty whatsoever, even on items valued at $200.00.  Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon!

Message 516 of 628
latest reply

The big-belly guy who used to charge customs on small items was fired...he used to receive a salary of $62,000 but still was nagging for more and most of the time on picket strike and when worked skipped every other package...so Canada Post was losing money on him more than gaining from customs on small packages:-D

Message 517 of 628
latest reply

Ah......THAT'S why!!;-)

Message 518 of 628
latest reply

shvmr
Community Member

Just happened to me.

Bought a item, listed as USPS as shipping, and the seller from the states sent it by UPS

The item is 60 dollars, but I fully expect the charges to be more, so I guess I will have to refuse.

Any tips guys?

Sigh, you would think US sellers after all these years would know about UPS to Canada. I'm thinking after I get this sorted of just closing my entire account and not dealing with ebay ever again.

Message 519 of 628
latest reply

bilge21
Community Member

Just happened to me.

Bought a item, listed as USPS as shipping, and the seller from the states sent it by UPS

The item is 60 dollars, but I fully expect the charges to be more, so I guess I will have to refuse.

Any tips guys?

Sigh, you would think US sellers after all these years would know about UPS to Canada. I'm thinking after I get this sorted of just closing my entire account and not dealing with ebay ever again.

Closing your Ebay account just because of UPS is ridiculous. UPS has nothing to do with Ebay.

Broker your shipment yourself. As posted by another poster, the Trueler site explains how:

http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

Message 520 of 628
latest reply