Can someone explain why I paid tax because ebay can't.

Hi,

So I purchased a item within Canada ( both the seller and myself are in the same province BC ) and I had to pay tax on the item at checkout, item was a auction listing.

The Seller is new, 0 feedback score, not a business or store. Why did I have to pay tax on the item? Did the seller set this up? Or is this automatically set up by ebay in some way?

I searched other random listings in the same category from other sellers in my Province and most don't charge tax. The only sellers that I can find that charge tax are big time sellers 5000+ feedback.

Ebay can't tell me why I had to pay tax on this item and are "looking into it".

Any help on this?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Can someone explain why I paid tax because ebay can't.

You need to ask the seller that you bought your item from, if they are registered to collect tax,

Perhaps it is a new seller that doesn't know any better, and ebay C.S. really doesn't know anything about Canada taxes, they are all set up by the seller..  So if the seller is a business and just starting out on eBay , then yes they can collect taxes.. So your best bet is to ask the seller, and if you still have your doubts, you have the right to ask for their tax number, and verify they are who they say they are..

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The seller would have had to set it up. It's possible that they have a brick and mortar store and are required to collect tax.   It's also possible that they assumed they were supposed to collect tax and unless they have a gst and pst number, it is illegal for them to collect tax.  I have seen the odd new seller do that because they think they are supposed to collect it.  You'll need to contact them and ask them if they have a tax number(s and if so, tell them you will need it for your records. 

edit...goes to the slow typist corner

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

He doesn't have a business selling, just a single time selling item.

So will ebay refund me the tax if that's the case? Where does the tax go? It was around $105 on a $855 item.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Because the seller likely set the listing up to collect tax on the sale, the tax would have gone to the seller.  You will have to pursue a refund on that amount from the seller.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Oh okay, the seller replied that they called ebay and that I have to pay the tax. But never gave me any tax number or said they were gst pst registered.

The item hasn't shipped yet, should I wait until I get the item and file a claim or?

Thanks for all the replies so far, much better help than ebay was with me.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

If your seller is not registered to collect BC PST, you should not be charged for it when purchasing from them.  As suggested earlier, your seller was probably given poor advice from a non-Canadian eBay customer service representative.

Try to persuade the seller to give you a partial refund on their own before pursuing one through a claim.  If you do have to file a claim, I'm thinking it might be best to wait for the item to arrive first just in case it doesn't show up in a timely fashion, in which case you'd be making a claim for the full amount of the sale.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Okay thanks.

I also called ebay again and they said they don't have any record of the seller contacting ebay about the matter... strange.

I contacted the seller to send proof that he/she is GST/PST registered. If I don't get a reply back or whatever I guess I'll have to open up a claim.

I'm also guessing since the seller has 0 feedback and the item sold was 855$ that the funds will be held in their PayPal account until delivery confirmation is confirmed, is that correct?

Thanks.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

yes funds will be held, but that is no guarantee that the seller will refund you anything, unless you really need this item, i would try cancelling the transaction, unless the item has already been shipped,  has the seller given you any follow up?? any seller will give you their tax number if asked..

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi,

The item is not shipped and no reply back yet about their possible tax number.

Ebay send a claim to their tax department to see if this tax was supposed to be charged or not.

Okay so say I do file a cancel claim for a refund, will I be refund the full amount with that tax amount of $105 as well?

I also paid 400 from my PayPal and 590 from my bank account, with the refund funds go back where they came from, or will the full refund go into either my PP or bank account?

Again thanks again for all the replies, ebay has been zero help on this matter.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply