Can't tell if seller hasn't shipped paid item yet or has changed mind about selling it?

ke432106
Community Member

Hello, I'm quite new to eBay (joined in January 2022) so I'm not sure if this is a common issue or if it has been answered previously, so please bear with me.

A couple of weeks ago I won an auction for a collectible statue that was described as brand new and sealed in the box.  Prior to bidding, I had contacted the seller and asked that If I won the auction and paid right away, would they be willing to open the box and send some photos of the statue prior to shipping so I could see that it was in good condition (I only asked this because I had previously puchased a brand new, sealed statue on eBay that unfortunately arrived with a manufacturer's defect).

After winning the auction, I saw that a tracking number was provided and electronic information was submitted by the seller. A day later the seller sent me some photos to show that statue was fine, after which I thanked him and confirmed that the statue was good to ship. However, the seller then sent me another message mentioning that they wish they hadn't opened the box to inspect/send me photos because now they saw how awesome the statue was. They said it was the best statue in their collection, regretted selling it and hoped it was going to a good home.

Since then I haven't received any tracking updates like I normally do for my other purchases. Usually it will indicate when the item is accepted/processed which I understand is when the post office actually receives the item. Right now it just shows that a shipping label has been created.

Anyway, should I be concerned that the seller has changed their mind about selling this item (especially after the last email they sent), or should I give them the benefit of the doubt and wait a few more days after the estimated delivery date?  Looking at their feedback, I see the seller only has one review for something they sold. They did mention that they were busy so maybe they didn't get around to it. I'm thinking of contacting them the day after the delivery date just to get an update on the order.

Appreciate any insights or advice based on similar experiences. Thanks for your time.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Can't tell if seller hasn't shipped paid item yet or has changed mind about selling it?

Don't wait to remind. Ask the seller (politely) if they have shipped the item.

You can open an Item-Not-Received case in the 30 days after the last estimated delivery date to get your money back.  I usually wait a few weeks extra for delivery before opening an INR case, but I do mark the calendar as a reminder not to let the ebay guarantee expire for slow orders.

-;-

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You have 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery to open an Item Not Recieved Dispute.

I saw that a tracking number was provided and electronic information was submitted by the seller

Not every number is a tracking number. Some are Delivery Confirmation and will only show actual delivery. However, most imported purchases will show arrival in Canada.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You can try to search the package here, you never know...

https://parcelsapp.com/en/carriers/upu#:~:text=UPU%20tracking%20number%20looks%20like,identify%20pac....

But, after reading your post I am a bit suspect about your transaction. All this sounds like "Seller Remose" it's a real thing, not as common as "Buyer Remose" but it exists...

I would wait for 30 days from the date of purchase and then open an item not received request, and then see how the seller responds. 

Simply, state the item has not arrived and the tracking has not been updated since such and such an amount of time.

And, if the tracking still does not update, get back your money.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

As others have told you, wait 30 days from date of purchase before opening an an item no received case through eBay.

But if you need to know right now if the seller likely sent the statue or not, got to the eBay.ca home page. From there look at the upper right hand drop-down menu "My Ebay".  Choose "Purchase History". It'll give you a list of your purchases. 

Look at the icon to the right of the dollar sign on your purchase, the icon that is a mail package (box). If you run your mouse over it, it should tell you what the confirmed date of shipment is by the seller. If the mail package isn't black in colour and doesn't show a date when you run your mouse over it, then the seller likely hasn't shipped.

I hope this helps.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Are you just looking  at the tracking on eBay or have you checked the postal site to see if the tracking has been updated there?

It's impossible for us to know what is actually happening but there is nothing wrong with you sending the seller a message asking if they had shipped the item since the tracking hasn't updated.  They may tell you they did change their mind in which case they should refund you right away.

If they don't reply and the status remains unchanged you can open an item not received claim the day after the last estimated delivery date.  I normally suggest that a buyer wait a bit longer after the est. date but if the item hasn't shown as shipped and they are not replying to you, I probably wouldn't wait.  As others mentioned, you do have up to 30 days after the est. delivery date to open a claim.  It's up to you how long you want to wait.

Off topic...it's best to ask for any pictures that you want before you bid.  

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Did you end up getting your statue?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Are you just looking  at the tracking on eBay or have you checked the postal site to see if the tracking has been updated there?

It's impossible for us to know what is actually happening but there is nothing wrong with you sending the seller a message asking if they had shipped the item since the tracking hasn't updated.  They may tell you they did change their mind in which case they should refund you right away.

If they don't reply and the status remains unchanged you can open an item not received claim the day after the last estimated delivery date.  I normally suggest that a buyer wait a bit longer after the est. date but if the item hasn't shown as shipped and they are not replying to you, I probably wouldn't wait.  As others mentioned, you do have up to 30 days after the est. delivery date to open a claim.  It's up to you how long you want to wait.

Off topic...it's best to ask for any pictures that you want before you bid.  

@ke432106 

@pjcdn2005 

If the item is "collectable" in many cases a seller would not open box for a prospective buyer. Many buyers will keep for display unopened. Opening it, could decrease its value or possibly make it harder to sell.  See The Transporter Malfunction episode of The Big Bang Theory as a reference. Buyer would have to wait until it arrived and "chose" to open to discover any defects and then could file an NAD.

https://bigbangtheory.fandom.com/wiki/The_Transporter_Malfunction

-Lotz

Alternatively danged if you do and danged if you don't!!!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply