Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

AS A CANADIAN I THINK THIS SUCKS AND IS A COMPLETE RIP OFF AND HAVE TO LEAVE THE SITE AS IT IS PI***NG ME OFF SO MUCH READING THE RETARDED RELIES FROM A BOTTOM FEEDER COMPANY,........

Message 2741 of 6,171
latest reply

KEVIN U NEED TO BUY AS A  CANADIAN USING THIS **bleep** SERVICE!!!

Message 2742 of 6,171
latest reply

"I really don't want to split hairs here. But the SELLER's responsibility ends with delivery to the Shipping Center." 

Agreed to that earlier.  [T&C]

"And PB is on the hook to get it to the Buyer". 

Disagree with you on that point, again.

Buyer Terms & Conditions,

Part 4c reads:  As between you [the buyer] and Pitney Bowes, risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to you [the buyer] from Pitney Bowes and/or its third party parcel processing service providers when the GSP Item LEAVES the U.S. Shipping Center.

"the buyer must then open a case"

Against who?

[ ] & capitalized LEAVES added to emphases

Message 2743 of 6,171
latest reply

"the buyer must then open a case"

Against who?

The seller. In effect, PB makes the refund, not the seller. This is the way it works in practice if the prescribed actions are taken.

It is when the buyer and seller start making things up that confusion reigns.

Message 2744 of 6,171
latest reply

Global Shipping to Canada should be canceled as a service, US Sellers can not view what Canadians see on Ebay.ca when they use this service, therefore do not realize they are losing Bids from Canada due to extra unnecessary fees.

Ebay US Sellers just see a convenience.

I will never bid on a item in the US with Global Shipping to pay Tax & Duty for a $50 item when I know for a fact Canada Post or Canada Customs will never charge me a penny if a parcel is declared for $50 mailed to Canada via USPS Priority from the USA without Global Shipping.

Hopefully many USA Sellers will read this since there are more & more Sellers using Global Shipping & not realizing they are losing Bidders from Canada.

Message 2745 of 6,171
latest reply

I hope many USA Sellers will read this since there are more & more Sellers using Global Shipping & not realizing they are losing Bidders from Canada.

All Canadian buyers should post on the US Seller central board if they want their opinions heard. I doubt if many US sellers ever look at a Canadian board.

Message 2746 of 6,171
latest reply

"The seller. In effect, PB makes the refund, not the seller. This is the way it works in practice if the prescribed actions are taken."

"It is when the buyer and seller start making things up that confusion reigns".

Practice may work but it's the terms & conditions that make it lawful and excludes the need to make things up.

Message 2747 of 6,171
latest reply

The Global shipping program is a colossal waste of time.  I have been buying on ebay for a long time now and will not bid on items under the Global Shipping program any more. I always request USPS first class intl for shipping and this way I can afford to buy on a regular basis.  It is a complete rip off and doubles if not triples my shipping costs.  Some of the vendors didn't even realize it had been imposed on them when I asked.  

The one time I used it the item was broken by the packing and re-packing by Pitney Bowes!!!!  Canadian purchasers are already at a disadvantage with the shipping and this program just makes it worse.

Message 2748 of 6,171
latest reply

@robertqc2017 wrote:

Global Shipping to Canada should be canceled as a service, US Sellers can not view what Canadians see on Ebay.ca when they use this service, therefore do not realize they are losing Bids from Canada due to extra unnecessary fees.

What the GSP needs is a comprehensive education program for both buyers and sellers on how and why it works the way that it does.  The big problem is that there seems to be a significant portion on users on both sides of the equation who just don't get it, either because they don't realize they're using the program, or else they haven't done their homework.

The GSP generally doesn't work that well for items that can be shipped as oversize letters, but my wife and I have made purchases where it seemed to work reasonably well for the items we purchased.  Cancelling the GSP because people can't or won't figure it out isn't really in the interest of most users, or eBay itself.  I still maintain that most sellers using the GSP inappropriately are "US only sellers" that likely have no idea that they're even using it in the first place.  It's not going to affect their Canadian sales as they're accustomed to having no Canadian sales in the first place.

Even sellers who have shipped to Canada in the past and have blundered into the GSP unwittingly probably won't notice much difference until a Canadian buyer blunders into their listings as Canadian sales generally don't make up a very large proportion of most US sellers' sales.

@robertqc2017 wrote:

I will never bid on a item in the US with Global Shipping to pay Tax & Duty for a $50 item when I know for a fact Canada Post or Canada Customs will never charge me a penny if a parcel is declared for $50 mailed to Canada via USPS Priority from the USA without Global Shipping.

That's fine for you, but my wife and I have been charged taxes on fairly low value items we've purchased from the United States.  In one case we were charged taxes on a higher value that customs assigned to the item as they didn't like the declared value.

In a nutshell, just because it hasn't happened to you in the past doesn't mean that it's never going to happen at some point down the line.

For whatever reason, I just seem to be charged GST on GSP shipments even though my province has a provincial sales tax.  I think I'd consider paying $6.50 or so in import charges on a $50 item if the shipping charge were reasonable, which it can be for a GSP shipment if the seller offers "free" shipping within the United States, if I wanted the item badly enough.

@robertqc2017 wrote:

Ebay US Sellers just see a convenience.

Of course they do.  You probably would, too, if you didn't have any information on what it looked like on the buyer's end and you didn't do your homework to figure out if it was a better option than shipping directly outside of the country.

And this is how the GSP is being pushed to US sellers: a way to make international shipping as "easy" as domestic shipping.

Having said that, many sellers are pushing themselves into the GSP inadvertently, and this is where problems really start.

Message 2749 of 6,171
latest reply

Best to just contact the vendor prior to making a purchase or bid, and ask for them if they will use an alternate method of shipping to avoid using the Global Shipping Program completely...

I have had tremendous success with this method, in fact the vendors have been shocked upon finding out the true costs of this program to Canadians, and generally are a little upset.

They then recognize this is significant limitation of reaching consumers in Canada.

Cheers

Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to 😉

Message 2750 of 6,171
latest reply

"What the GSP needs is a comprehensive education program for both buyers and sellers on how and why it works the way that it does."

Being more educated on the in & outs of the the program is not going to do away with the higher additional cost most Canadian buyers experience using the GSP. 

"I still maintain that most sellers using the GSP inappropriately are "US only sellers" that likely have no idea that they're even using it in the first place."

Instead of automatically enrolling sellers, eBay could have offered it as shipping option. eBay must have something else in the works as this could still easily be done, with very little effort on eBay's part.

"In one case we were charged taxes on a higher value that customs assigned to the item as they didn't like the declared value."

If the item was a non-commercial import,  the increase in its higher value could have been appealed under the Casual Refund Program, providing the difference was significant enough.

Message 2751 of 6,171
latest reply

@irie_chickie wrote:

Best to just contact the vendor prior to making a purchase or bid, and ask for them if they will use an alternate method of shipping to avoid using the Global Shipping Program completely...

I have had tremendous success with this method, in fact the vendors have been shocked upon finding out the true costs of this program to Canadians, and generally are a little upset.

They then recognize this is significant limitation of reaching consumers in Canada.

If you return to this thread, Irie, I'd like to know what sort of sense you have of the proportion of sellers using the GSP who were unaware that they were doing so until you contacted them.

Message 2752 of 6,171
latest reply

Like several I talked to - You might not be aware that once bidding is started you can NOT opt out of this atrociously expensive program. Your potential bidders (you know the ones who in an auction lead to a higher final price by competition) are not bidding any more when you list with GSP. Remember when eBay was fun... when buyers felt good because they got the item they wanted at a good price. ADD  GSP and the price Is not good any more.

STOP using GSP and get your customers back.

I will not even look at items that have GSP any more. I hope everyone boycotts those who do until it is dropped or becomes a retractable option.

IN the meantime BOYCOTT GSP.

Message 2753 of 6,171
latest reply

No Canadian sellers use the GSP.

Perhaps you should consider posting this to the Seller Boards on eBaydot COM where most sellers are American.

You should know that this program was instituted to assure US sellers who were afraid to ship outside the lower 48 that they would be protected against fake and premature claims of non-delivery. Most of the sellers who use it never shipped internationally before, so they don't notice if they are not getting sales that they never got before.

Message 2754 of 6,171
latest reply

The one time I used it the item was broken by the packing and re-packing by Pitney Bowes!!!!  Canadian purchasers are already at a disadvantage with the shipping and this program just makes it worse.

I hope you made a claim through Paypal and were refunded. The more people who do this if the item is damaged the more it will cost the program and the higher the chances something will be done to improve things.

Message 2755 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree. I hope that every person who has received an item that has been damaged due to sloppy repacking by PB files a claim.

This program is such bad news for many of us. 

From the pages and pages of complaints it is plain to see that the GSP  is not what the majority of posters to this thread  want, need or wish to even see on this site.  

And these disgruntled and unhappy posters are the ones  trying to educate eBay and PB, because yes, education has been sadly lacking with this program.

Seems eBay and PB didn't do their homework when it came to Canadian consumers re the GSP. 

Message 2756 of 6,171
latest reply

Seems eBay and PB didn't do their homework when it came to Canadian consumers re the GSP.

There is no evidence that they did any homework about any nation's buyers before launching the GSP.

If I had been given the job of designing this scheme, the first thing I would have done would have been to survey Ebay buyers in a dozen target countries with a basic outline of the key points and see what the response was.

"We are planning a new shipping system for US based sellers. All packages to your country would be sent to a central US location, then forwarded to your country for local delivery by mail or courier.

All customs fees would be paid by you in advance, when you paid for the item. This will speed customs clearance but will mean you pay customs charges on items that you do not always pay on packages sent by mail.

Would you be interested in buying from sellers using this system:

A/  Only if it was a lot faster than regular mail services

B/ Only if it enabled you to buy things that the sellers would not normally ship over seas.

C/ Only if the shipping cost was no more expensive than the typical mailing charges of ebay sellers who do ship overseas.

Finally, would you avoid using this service altogether?"

Using the information available to ebay, this would be targeted at buyers who have bought from US sellers in the past to get an informed sample.

But I fear the plan was concocted by people who did not even consider that there were questions to be answered.

Message 2757 of 6,171
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

There is no evidence that they did any homework about any nation's buyers before launching the GSP.

But I fear the plan was concocted by people who did not even consider that there were questions to be answered.

There is no evidence that they did any homework, but plenty that they didn't. Remember how the program was in the beginning? There was nothing on the .ca site telling buyers that they were about to purchase from a GSP listing. They had to go on .com to find out. There was also no way for sellers to opt out of the program once they were in. Remember the "herpes" comparison? How flattering!

All the stop-gap measures taken since then reek of uncomprehending bewilderment on the GSP promoters' end. Many sensible suggestions that have been made time and time again on this board are still being ignored. That is a shame, because the suggestions are coming from the very people who hate the program, and they are telling its promoters how to make it more palatable to them.

The program was concocted by a company with no previous experience of international shipping, whose sole objective was to keep from going under. If that's not a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.

Message 2758 of 6,171
latest reply

All Canadian buyers should post on the US Seller central board if they want their opinions heard. I doubt if many US sellers ever look at a Canadian board.

In the last month, I have posted on the US discussion boards, in categories called "Seller Central," "International Trading," and "Where have all the buyers gone?" Judging by the discussions in the first two, some Americans are well aware Canadians are unhappy with the GSP (and so are buyers in Australia, Germany, the Netherlands...)

A number are unhappy with having been automatically opted in to the program.

Are there any other categories you think would be an effective place to post?

Also, I have started adding, "Thank you for not using the GSP" to my feedback to US sellers. (I don't deal with any who do use it.)

Message 2759 of 6,171
latest reply

I still maintain that most sellers using the GSP inappropriately are "US only sellers" that likely have no idea that they're even using it in the first place.

With respect for the useful information you provide about the GSP (for example, that if the US seller ships free to Kentucky, the total price of shipping might come a little closer to being reasonable), I have to say that in my opinion you are wrong about this.

One seller who previously shipped an item to me in Canada has written to me that he opted in to the GSP because it makes things easier for him. It was a conscious decision.

Also, in several categories I can now find few or no sellers not in the GSP. Two or three years ago, there were several who shipped to Canada. A few might have stopped selling entirely, but there does seem to be a pattern. Perhaps one's perception of this depends on the type of items one typically buys.

Message 2760 of 6,171
latest reply