Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

@holdmygold2 wrote:

I don't use the GSP as a buyer.

The seller billed through paypal to get rid of the GSP.

Turns out that if there is a problem and the item has to be returned and the buyer files a case though eBay that eBay will not refund shipping costs.

In the past buyers could only file through paypal but now they can also do so via eBay.....

BUT........ buyers should ONLY file through paypal or they lose their shipping costs............ if they still can.

You lost me on this one. Would you please explain exactly what you mean.

You said that you and the seller did not use the gsp as the seller billed you through paypal.  So what does that have to do with a gsp claim since you didn't go through the gsp? 

Message 3701 of 6,171
latest reply

OK; I'll try a third time but I don't know how to be more clear than I've already been.

The item was listed via the GSP.

The seller sent an invoice via paypal to get rid of the GSP and ship the normal way.

Does the rest fall into place now?

Message 3702 of 6,171
latest reply

Thanks for posting, i have come to use the same solutions you offered and now only try to use e-bay with Canadian sellers or not at all.

Message 3703 of 6,171
latest reply

Does the rest fall into place now?

I believe so. You purchased the item on ebay but paid for it through a Paypal invoice. You want to return it but that if you file a case through ebay, you are saying that you will not receive your original shipping back. Is that correct? If so, how did you come to that conclusion? I'm just trying to understand how this would work.

Message 3704 of 6,171
latest reply

Or...was the purchase not made through ebay at all   and just invoiced through paypal?

Message 3705 of 6,171
latest reply

No; but half way there.  (Am I so unclear?)

I am not asking a Question.  I am simply giving other buyers the heads up on how this works and how to deal with it so they can avoid problems.

The first part is right.

It was already returned with tracking.

I've already posted the next part but I will repeat it:

If buyers open cases for these items they must be opened on paypal to recover shipping fees.

In the past these cases could only be opened on paypal, but now buyers can open such cases on eBay as well.

If there is still a choice do not open on eBay.

Open on paypal.

I learned the hard way.

Message 3706 of 6,171
latest reply

I realize that you are not asking a question but your original comment about not receiving shipping back didn't seem right so I was curious as to what the circumstances were.

You purchased an item through ebay

The seller needed to change the invoice so they invoiced you through paypal.

You filed a claim through ebay. The item was returned

Ebay sees that you didn't pay any of the gsp fees in the original listing so they just refunded you for the amount that would have been received by the seller.

So basically, ebay isn't associating that paypal transaction with the ebay one so they don't see what you actually paid.

Is that right?

If that's the case, I would have thought that when you pointed out to ebay the amount that you paid through paypal they would refund you the right amount but apparently not.

Message 3707 of 6,171
latest reply

Yes, That's it.

I only posted here in case it helps someone else.

I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday because I couldn't believe they weren't refunding shipping costs and I paid $25 for shipping alone.

I was already annoyed because I received a smashed item and the seller forced me to return it before she'd refund.

Both eBay and paypal told me the same thing and I called both.

The easy solution is to only file cases on paypal if that is still allowed because they give the full refund.

If not, I have never done a credit card charge-back and don't understand that process at all, but from now on I'll only fund these transactions via CC just in case.

The GSP causes one problem after another.

Message 3708 of 6,171
latest reply

"If there is still a choice do not open on eBay. Open on paypal."

The policies seem to have changed as to where a buyer should file a claim.  eBay.ca staff was pretty clear about it a little while back:

If the item is purchased on eBay.com, then the claim must be filed on eBay.com

if the item is purchased on eBay.ca, then the claim must be filed with PayPal.

Please do not take my word for it. For written confirmation, take a look at the eBay.ca and eBay.com help pages:

on eBay.com : http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html

"You can shop with confidence on eBay. If you haven't received your item or it doesn't match the seller's description, your purchase price plus original shipping may be covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. If you have a problem, we're here to help. "

on eBay.ca: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

"When you buy an item on eBay, you can do so with confidence. If you haven't received the item or it doesn't match the seller's description, your purchase price plus original shipping may be covered by the PayPal Purchase Protection for qualifying transactions. If you have a problem, we're here to help you. "

It seems that the determining factor is where (which eBay site) the item was purchased,  The site where the item was listed or the currency seem to be irrelevant.

As far as shipping charges are concerned, I would expect any respectable seller to cover those.  Period.

Message 3709 of 6,171
latest reply

Thanks for posting about it. It would never have occurred to me that it would happen that way.

Message 3710 of 6,171
latest reply

I should add that the buyer protection policy on eBay.com will change September 15th, 2014.

For details on the new policy:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Message 3711 of 6,171
latest reply

If the item is purchased on eBay.com, then the claim must be filed on eBay.com

if the item is purchased on eBay.ca, then the claim must be filed with PayPal.

It's been like that for quite a while although purchases made on .com have also had the option of filing through Paypal instead of ebay.  But once we have the Money Back Guarantee program, a claim for an item purchased on either site can be put through ebay.  I asked the reps whether or not we would still have the option of filing through paypal but they couldn't answer that. But since that option was still available once  the MBG program started on .com, I am guessing that it won't change here either.

Message 3712 of 6,171
latest reply

OMG...........  you are confusing this issue. .Smiley Tongue

Just when it was cleared up.

This is not about .com vs .ca.

GSP items are never purchased on .ca.

This thread is strictly about .com GSP items billed through paypal to get rid of the GSP..

Please don't make me start all over again.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 3713 of 6,171
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Thanks for posting about it. It would never have occurred to me that it would happen that way.

You are very welcome.

Message 3714 of 6,171
latest reply

"The GSP causes one problem after another."

GSP was not involved here.  The purchase was made with payment to seller through PayPal to bypass the GSP

"GSP items are never purchased on .ca."

Of course GSP can be purchased on eBay.ca (they may not be listed on eBay.ca but there is nothing preventing anyone from purchasing it on eBay.ca). 

Anyone looking at any item offered on eBay.ca showing GSP can purchase it on eBay.ca.

As far as which eBay/PayPal buyer guarantee governs the purchase, that is another story.

Message 3715 of 6,171
latest reply

Just so no one tries to nail me for this.........I am not interested in a debate or arguing as some are wont to do.

That should have read:  GSP items are not listed on .ca.

I suppose one could purchase them there.

Message 3716 of 6,171
latest reply

Ah, and so there we go.

Now : Why did I know that was coming ???  😉

Please don't try to hard to confuse the issue.

The GSP has/had everything to do with it.   That's what it was all about.

Without the GSP there would have been no need to bill via paypal and no choice about where to open the case.

Please : For Pete's sake:  Don't make me start explaining all over again.  Go back and read the thread from the start

Message 3717 of 6,171
latest reply

"GSP items are not listed on .ca"

What are you talking about?

There are many items listed on ebay.ca that use GSP shipping to sellers in the USA. In fact, as time goes by, it seems more and more of the US sellers are only using GSP to ship items to Canadian buyers.  They may originally list on ebay.com, but Canadian buyers see the listing on ebay.ca.  If they buy those items, they more often than not will get stuck with shipping via the GSP.

So your best course of action is not to buy from sellers using that program.  Or contact them FIRST, and see if they will set up a First Class shipping option before buying.  Success on that front is mixed at best.

Message 3718 of 6,171
latest reply

I know you meant well but you initially confused me as well as a few others with comments like:

GSP items are never purchased on .ca.

The seller billed through paypal to get rid of the GSP.

Here's how I think it went,buyer asked a seller to sell an item without using GSP,the "experienced "seller compiled,the heads up is for  cases like this ,if the buyer is returning the item,he/she would be better off to file the claim on paypal to recover shipping fees.

It's good to know ,thank you for the heads up.

Message 3719 of 6,171
latest reply

What is it that seems to scare US Sellers into not shipping outside of their own borders?

Fear of the unknown. It is hardwired into the lizard brain that evolution has left as part of human nature.

Convert the unknown to the known and the more rational levels kick in.

Message 3720 of 6,171
latest reply