Delivery times to Canada via Canada Post take so long that I can't leave feedback for many purchases

It is most common now for Canada Post to deliver items I purchase after the 60 day feedback cutoff, even things from Britain and Europe.  I understand it is not the seller's fault and would like to leave positive feedback for them but am unable to find a way.  Is there a way?

Sadly, Mr Chopra has found a way to make Canada Post even more friendly to privatization by causing almost all items coming into Canada to disappear until and if they are eventualy delivered.  I've had to get refunds for four items that disappeared somewhere inside my country in the last couple months.  That is more than I've had to request refunds for in several years combined.

It is making it difficult to justify buying online even if I find sellers who still sell to Canada.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Delivery times to Canada via Canada Post take so long that I can't leave feedback for many purchases

I'm not getting into the small-p politics here but this... "I understand it is not the seller's fault...." is not entirely correct. Both the buyer and seller set the postage method and price. The seller picks a method and the buyer pays the cost. Anything cheap from overseas will take FORVER to arrive and you cannot blame Canada Post for that. With postage, you get what you pay for, period. There is no cheap and fast. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

And then this! "It is making it difficult to justify buying online even if I find sellers who still sell to Canada."

Ever seller located within Canada ships to Canada. Stick with your fellow Canadian and the slow-boat-from-China problems will vanish. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

306bev
Community Member

My experience is not only that it takes forever to arrive but often the item never arrives period. I am sick of ordering things then waiting 2 to 3 months to see if it arrives and when it doesn't then having to ask for a refund. In the mean time the seller hasw had the use of my money for 2 to 3 months interest free before having to send the refund.  In my opinion this falls in the category of a scam.  I will not be ordering anything from China and some other Pacific countries overseas because of this from EBAY.  I find things ordered from these countries on Amazon do not take that long and they always arrive on time.  

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Canada Post is the postal carrier for Amazon also
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

There are a couple of reasons why overseas packages may be very slow.

• The seller (who offers Free Shipping) uses Surface Shipping which normally takes two or three months
  • CBSA and the Mounties are still searching small low value shipments for fentanyl.
  • There is a huge backlog of low value packages still remaining from the 'work to rule' by UPU members which succeeded in forcing China to pay more for international shipments.

If your seller does not offer tracked shipping, and slow surface shipping upsets you, do not buy.

If the item does not arrive by the date eBay gave you, open an Item Not Received Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.  You have 30 days from that date to open a Dispute.

In my opinion, 30 days is long enough to wait for a package from overseas. If shipping time is longer than that, do not buy.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

As you may have noticed I specifically excuse items from china from my comment.  If not, you really should read it.

If you'd read it you would notice that I did specifically mention Britain and Europe both of which charge significant shipping charges and therefore should include some sort of tracking that I can see. It does seem that $10 for an envelope that is not even legal size is sufficient, or should be 

In other news I mention in my comment that items I bought disappear once they are in my country and no one is responsible because no one knows where they last were.

Lastly, as I said in my comment that items often take so long to get here that I cannot leave feedback once they do arrive, if they arrive.

No where do I complain about the time it takes to get things from china, only that they don't arrive ever. Three months now I've been waiting for one item

Thank you for your well reasoned comment though. It is a superb example of the help I can expect to receive I'm sure

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Chopra's appointment was a political decision certainly but his choices have made no business sense since they make his already profitable business less competitive and that is a business decision unless some troll wants to suggest it is politically inspired. Is it?
Secondly, I specifically excluded, if you read it, china from my comment but did specifically mention Britain and Europe. Neither of which could be blamed for charging the buyer crazy low shipping charges. As part of the developed world they are charged by Canada post what Canada post deemed is sufficient for them. This is the foundation of their argument for not delivering chinese goods in reasonable time after all. Which leads me back to the point. Products I pay for disappear when they enter my country when they don't disappear in places like the Ukraine... a bloody war zone for crying out loud
Trying to distract the reader from the subject by bringing up china is disingenuous.
It was a nice attempt but there is no thoughtful and fast in comments as you prove
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

1. The 'slow boat from China' is an idiom. Also, a song title. 

2. If you want fast delivery, you have to purchase a fast postal service. That fast service does not end at any border. You'll simply have to trust the users here with collectively tens of thousands of shipments in their breath of experience. 

3. Good luck.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Also, spend some time on the UPU and CPC to gain an idea of postal pricing. Ten dollars does NOT buy Delivery Confirmation on an international shipment. Think postage in the neighbourhood of $40 for that. Your sellers are apparently unaware Registered mail does not track in Canada when sent from UK or elsewhere in Europe. You cannot blame Canada Post for the ignorance of international sellers. 

Or buy Canadian, and wait a week for items shipped within Canada. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Finally, no one here cares about the small p-political aspect to Chopra or his appointment to Canada Post. If you want to sympathy for your annoyance with that, you need to find a different discussion board, we're online buyers and sellers with different priorities and interests. I doubt anyone is going to take that bait, so you're wasting your efforts stirring that pot in this place. But, feel free to keep trying. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

It does seem that $10 for an envelope that is not even legal size is sufficient, or should be 

Apparently not.

https://www.royalmail.com/canada/

The lowest rate for tracked shipping is £9.60 which is about about $17.28.

That, btw, is half what Canada Post would charge for tracking less than 500 grams to the UK ($33.25).

Note also that shipping is based on weight, dimensions and destination but not on value. Value only comes into play in the destination country where duty and sales taxes are paid by the receiver/importer.

items I bought disappear once they are in my country and no one is responsible

Your sellers may foolishly be using Registered Mail.

In recent years, members of the UPU have been downgrading this very old service (it predates postage stamps!).

Today, Registered Mail is only trackable in the country of origin.

And of course no untracked mail is trackable.

Tell your British sellers to use International Tracked or International Tracked and Signed, and be prepared to pay for the additional services.

items often take so long to get here that I cannot leave feedback

Feedback is a legacy, and does not affect the seller's account.

If a purchase does not arrive by the last estimated delivery date you were given by eBay, go to the Resolution Centre and open an Item Nor Received dispute. If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

You have 30 days from that date to Dispute.

If you miss the deadline you have 180 days from payment for Dispute on Paypal.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

yes but it doesn't seem to take as long and I have had no issues with the items not arriving.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

1 item I ordered ordered on Feb 6th. On Ebay it says it can take up to May 3rd to arrive. When I go and check my orders on the purchase history this item doesn't even show the date I can expect the item and I can no longer leave feedback on the item. Yet I will wait until May 3rd before opening a did not receive if it doesn't show by then. This totally makes it hard to keep track of the items you ordered and by what date they should have arrived and what orders you should request a refund for. Just totally frustrating.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

The window for delivery should have shown in the Selling tab of the listing, before you ordered.

That being said, go to your Paypal account.

The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools.

Open an Item Not Recieved Dispute.

There may be a delay allowing for delivery as promised, but the Dispute will remain open.

The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller.

All you want is the date of shipping, the service used and a tracking number that actually tracks.

No offers of replacement will be useful.

If you don't get a refund and/or a tracking number, ask PP to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

And do, in future, look at the promised delivery dates, before ordering. And mark them on your calendar.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Feedback has always been voluntary, and recently eBay stopped using it as a measure of a seller's account.
The Dispute system is much more important.
Not only does it get you a refund on unsatisfactory goods, but it leaves Defects on seller accounts which can lead to severe restrictions or even the closing of the account.
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

I'm a Canadian seller to many overseas countries, and I never, EVER, ship by surface, (oceans), always by air.
Imagine it trucked pan Canada, sit in the Montreal docks, longshoremen load it on a freighter, and next stop; Marseille, but it's going to Poland !
I have also found that from Vancouver Island they sometimes truck it to Quebec, and then it gets on a plane to Europe.
Not very often, but it has occured.
Even still, I really have no complaints with C.P.'s service, the opposite really.
Plus it's federal, not private, so internal theft is a federal crime, which keeps it low.
Message 17 of 17
latest reply