Feedback left from my account that I didn't write

Hi there,

I'm a new seller, but bought a few things over the years. 

I recently bought a selling tool on Ebay and waited for it to arrive. When it finally did, I went to leave my positive feedback, only the "leave feedback" action button was missing.  All the other options were there except the feedback option. I went back in every day to check for about 5 days before emailing Ebay to report the missing feedback feature. 

Here's where it gets weird. 

Ebay responded that they can see that I already left feedback. Noooooooooo, I didn't!  I went to check the seller's most recent feedback and there I was - clear as day - positive and with a brief one-liner statement. 

First of all, I never would have left feedback until I received the item, obviously. I logged in to leave feedback as soon as I received it, and the option was already gone at that point.

Secondly - the phrase that was left - I NEVER would have said. The wording is not me at all. It's even a bit cringe.

So I let Ebay know that I didn't write that and all the details mentioned above. Now I'm worried that a) my account or something was hacked, and b) Ebay will shut down my account because of a security issue with it. I should have kept my mouth shut.

Anyone have any ideas cause I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Make sure you don't have the option ticked to automatically leave feedback for buyers (It's in the selling settings somewhere).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Some large sellers have the privilege that no one can leave feedback for them for seven days after delivery.

But that doesn't sound like this case.

Are you content to let the positive feedback stay? Keep in mind that no one will ever read it. Ever. And that your ID is masked so the cringe ID can't be traced to you.

You can leave a Response to any feedback, your own or your seller's.  "This transaction went well, but I did not leave this feedback. " Because it stands out on the page, someone, someday may read it.

The only FB left for a seller on your FB page sounds like one of the canned FB eBay supplies for members who flunked Composition.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You said you "went to check the seller's most recent feedback and there I was - clear as day"  BUT when you look on your own feedback page, if you click "Feedback left for others" does it show there?

As femmefan has mentioned, if you leave feedback you can revise/or add to it ("follow up") and put what you wanted to say/add there.

If it isn't even showing on your side to do this then it really is strange. I don't think eBay would shut down your account because of an issue with feedback (unless maybe there was tons of it happening for some reason).

Most likely there is a chance you hit something by accident (a defaulted sentence eBay has for feedback) on one of the several times you were trying to do so. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Make sure you don't have the option ticked to automatically leave feedback for buyers (It's in the selling settings somewhere).

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Aha, yes - it is one of those silly canned responses from Ebay.  Now why couldn't Ebay support have just told me that? Gosh. Instead they actually suggested I report the seller to get them investigated and disciplined. 

Thank you for your reply 😊

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@elles_little_shop 

Were you on the phone?

The phone clerks are subcontractors with a firm from Utah. They are notoriously poorly trained.

The real eBay reps are on social media.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

They actually have some authority.

It's always a good idea to confirm that the rep knows you are in Canada. There are a few small differences, including qualifying for the TopRated Seller program more easily than our US competitors.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Is it possible that you thought that you were leaving a feedback for a buyer but left it for your seller by mistake? Even if that isn't the case,  I really don't think that it is anything to worry about and I'm sure that ebay is not going to follow up on it. 

Just a comment not really pertaining to this situation but if you don't see a leave feedback link where you normally see it, you can always go to your own feedback page, scroll down and click on leave feedback.  Of course that doesn't work if feedback has already been left.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I can't remember how I started it this time. I think I did an after hours chat help that resulted in an email conversation. Are the chat people also untrained? They have given me the wrong answer 3/3 times I contacted them now.

Anyway thank you for the social links - that's so helpful!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

If it's written (usually called Chat, which I find confusing) then you are communicating with employees not subcontractors.

And you get a transcript, which can be helpful, because what we hear sometimes is not what we were told.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply