Global Shipping -vs- International Shipping

I regret all the nasty thoughts I had about the late-lamented eBay Global Shipping program.

I have bought several items (USA to Canada) under the new program.

1.  Without exeption, transit time is desperately slow.  Slower even than Erlanger at its worst.

2.  Global gave you a fixed cost, including any customs or GST.  International leaves that undefined.  With Canada Customs, there is some number below which they do not assess fees, and some other number above which they do.  But there is a wide fuzzy area where they may/may not.

3.  Finally, it appears that every US seller is being shoehorned into the International program.  Sellers can no longer offer to ship directly?  This is often much less expensive, and invariably the item arrives faster.

Certainly, as a buyer, I am disinclined to buy much from the US anymore.  Too much delay and uncertainty over total cost.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

marnotom!
Community Member

eBay International Shipping does seem to be seeing a pretty rough rollout, but few new eBay initiatives seem to come out of the box glitch- or controversy-free, so I see this as pretty normal insofar as what eBay's version of "normal" is.

I've purchased only one item forwarded through eIS so far.  I feel that the shipment went pretty well, but I'm trying to wait for the dust to settle a bit more before having another crack at it.

@johnnesbitt wrote:

Without exeption, transit time is desperately slow.  Slower even than Erlanger at its worst.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?  Are your items arriving late?  I'm on Vancouver Island and I generally expect direct mailed shipments from the US to take two to three weeks to reach me and I don't start worrying about their whereabouts until almost the four week mark.

The item I bought took twenty days to reach me, one day shy of the delivery estimate time window.  It might have arrived a little quicker if the seller hadn't taken full advantage of their three business day handling time.

@johnnesbitt wrote:

Global gave you a fixed cost, including any customs or GST.  International leaves that undefined.  With Canada Customs, there is some number below which they do not assess fees, and some other number above which they do.  But there is a wide fuzzy area where they may/may not.

For what it's worth, the tax-free threshold for items sent from the US is C$20 for items sent by mail and C$40 for items sent by courier.  My item was valued at less than C$40 but more than C$20 and I didn't get a tax bill on delivery.  The package was actually stickered "DDP" (delivered duty paid) to ensure that I didn't get assessed and charged taxes and duty.

As you seem to have found, Canada Border Services isn't particularly stringent about hitting low-value items with tax and duty charges for items sent directly through the mail, so that may be part of the inconsistency you're finding.

@johnnesbitt wrote:

Finally, it appears that every US seller is being shoehorned into the International program.  Sellers can no longer offer to ship directly?  This is often much less expensive, and invariably the item arrives faster.

That paragraph can be read a couple of different ways, so I'll try to cover all the bases in my response.

All qualifying US sellers are being automatically opted into eIS.  While some people feel this is pretty hamfisted, opting out does seem to be a pretty straightforward process. I suspect eBay did it this way to ensure that sellers were aware of the existence of the program.  Many US sellers seemed to miss the memo about the GSP when it was first unleashed and this led to some rotten buyer experiences.

One of the most significant differences between eIS and the GSP is that the GSP could be applied on a listing by listing basis but the eIS is a "seller setting" that applies to all the seller's listings.  Removing the GSP from a listing meant cancelling and revising the listing (although some sellers seemed to think that was "eBay illegal" and buyers requesting this were up to no good).  However, sellers can only remove eIS from a listing by revising their selling settings, which would affect all their listings in one fell swoop.

Sellers can still sell internationally under their own steam if they opt out of eIS.  However, eIS is currently an extremely attractive proposition for most sellers.  It offers perks and protections that aren't even available with domestic sales, so that's a big reason you're seeing it applied to so many listings.  As far as eIS's pricing goes, I get the sense that its rates are pretty competitive with USPS's counter rates (base rates) for its international services.  The rub is that once you add the seller's charge for shipping the item to Wherever, Illinois, the service doesn't look nearly as attractive cost-wise.  And shipping costs have jumped considerably over the past twelve months, to boot.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

All good points.   On transit times, my perception is that eBay simply moved the delivery window further out, so that items arrived within the window, but still slower than before.   My experience with things shipped directly to me from the US via USPS is that they generally arrive within a week, plus/minus depending on weekends.  With the new International Shipping, never less than three weeks.

The threshold for Canada Customs to generate a bill 'seems' to be somewhere in the CAD 50-60 range.  I have never been charged GST etc. for less than $55, and always for more than $70.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

1.)  Watching tracking is a Bad Idea. Mark the last arrival date on your calendar and don't think about it until then. Spoke and hub shipping is endemic (USPS and every airline uses it too.)

2.) I said this was going to be a problem. The CBSA decision not to assess low value shipments has been true all this century. However, with GSP, as a courier they were required to assess and collect import fees. This made the cost of "shipping" seem higher than it actually was.

FWIW, since July 2020, our duty -free allowance for US imports has risen to $150 and our tax-free allowance to $40 (from $20for both). This is part of the apparently erratic import cost. Where is the item made (not purchased.)

3.) Yes. This became the default. US sellers are none too happy either.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@clemowbooks wrote:

1.)  Watching tracking is a Bad Idea. Mark the last arrival date on your calendar and don't think about it until then. Spoke and hub shipping is endemic (USPS and every airline uses it too.)

2.) I said this was going to be a problem. The CBSA decision not to assess low value shipments has been true all this century. However, with GSP, as a courier they were required to assess and collect import fees. This made the cost of "shipping" seem higher than it actually was.

FWIW, since July 2020, our duty -free allowance for US imports has risen to $150 and our tax-free allowance to $40 (from $20for both). This is part of the apparently erratic import cost. Where is the item made (not purchased.)

3.) Yes. This became the default. US sellers are none too happy either.

Re: Where the item is purchased...and future requirements

This just zigged into my mailbox from eBay Main Street. Just to throw another wrench into things for small mom and pop sellers... Re: USA shipping requirements.

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1694018786532.png

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/cool/questions-answers

Who knows how long before it will be a requirement for us? Was something I had to deal with working for  a manufacturer/repairs/reseller. (Required Certificates of Origins per classification). Now, if only eBay could correct eBay labels to display the inputted information accurately by the seller for the correct country of origin vs the seller/country/province field(incorrect)!!! Something that has been wrong since the roll out of eBay Labels. Gotta love free trade agreements. If/when this kicks in it will be reciprocal. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I am also fed up with Ebay Shipping.  An item ordered from Washington State(To Victoria) by USPS

was in my mailbox in 6 business days-that included going through customs.  My latest purchase from Washington State with Ebay Shipping (after paying top dollar for what I thought was USPS direct) the item has been shippied half way across the US and has been sitting in Illinois with no movement for swveral days.  I am really annoyed with Ebay and this poor service.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@15westcoast wrote:

I am also fed up with Ebay Shipping.  An item ordered from Washington State(To Victoria) by USPS

was in my mailbox in 6 business days-that included going through customs.  My latest purchase from Washington State with Ebay Shipping (after paying top dollar for what I thought was USPS direct) the item has been shippied half way across the US and has been sitting in Illinois with no movement for swveral days.  I am really annoyed with Ebay and this poor service.

If the shipping section of the listing stated USPS shipping, the seller can't use eBay International Shipping to forward it to British Columbia.  What I'm thinking happened is that the seller chose the soon-to-be-mothballed eBay International Standard Delivery, which is more like a discounted postage method that doesn't afford sellers nearly the protections of either eIS or the old GSP.

Just out of curiosity, @15westcoast, what is the delivery time estimate for this item?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You asked about eBay's estimated delivery time.   I looked at a couple of items just now, and they quote windows of up to five weeks.   Five weeks - I could walk it here in that time.

I grant that my experience is anedotal, but it sure seems like eBay is covering themselves for the multi-step International process (third-party plus USPS from seller to Glendale, third-party plus USPS from Glendale to USPS international hub, USPS to Toronto, CPC from Toronto to me).   The CPC step is typically one business day, so almost all of the time spent is in the US.

As one poster suggested, I do not camp on the tracking system.   OTOH, I do not buy anything that I want to use in the next month.   That, combined with the opacity of total cost, leads me to shop elsewhere if possible.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@johnnesbitt wrote:

You asked about eBay's estimated delivery time.   I looked at a couple of items just now, and they quote windows of up to five weeks.   Five weeks - I could walk it here in that time.

Interesting.  I just did a quickie comparison of several listings for Google Pixel 7a smartphones, and I didn't see any delivery estimates for eIS that were that long.  Shortest I found was for shipping in a USPS small flat-rate box and the latest date for that was September 25.  The first eIS item I found had a last estimated delivery date of September 28, with others around October 4, so about a month.

Interestingly enough, the longest delivery time I've found so far for a Pixel 7a to my location in Canada was October 17th and that was FedEx Economy.  In fairness, the short side of the delivery estimate was September 12th.  However, it was one of the more expensive shipping options at US$50.99, and the unstated customs clearance (brokerage) charges to access and process the taxes due would likely be very stiff.

What you might want to do with some of those listings showing five week delivery times is find out what shipping method the seller is using to get the item out to Illinois and the delivery time estimate for that shipping method.  You can do that by going to the shipping section of the listing and changing your destination to United States, ZIP code 60139.  By the sounds of things, there have been some changes to USPS domestic parcel service, and some of those listings that you're seeing may be going by slowish means to suburban Chicago.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply