How do you ship coins as lettermail? (this question is not about me)

I found some coins (won't say where or how) They are somewhere on ebay. 

I want to bid on them. That guy says he will ship them as lettermail. But how does that work for coins isn't the envelop likely to rip apart? 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

marnotom!
Community Member
The definition of "lettermail" is pretty broad, particularly for international mail. If these coins are coming from outside of Canada, the seller may well be referring to what Canada Post calls "small packet".

Why don't you ask the seller to clarify?
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@vintagetonow2134 wrote:

I found some coins I want to bid on. That guy says he will ship them as lettermail. But how does that work for coins isn't the envelope likely to rip apart? 

Inside Canada anything less than 2cm (0.8 inches) thick can be lettermail.

You do not toss the coins loose into an envelope.

There are many ways to properly ship them inside Canada -- secure the coins between 2 sheets of thin cardboard/cerealboard and then put in an envelope -- or put the coins in a cardboard mailer -- etc.

Just check to see if the seller has sold coins before and knows what they are doing (seller feedback is useful for spotting problems).

-..-

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I did check he's 100% of a bunch of sales. As well as Reviews
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

thanks for this info.
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Domestic lettermail is not held to the same standards as international lettermail since there is no customs processing involved in the former. Coins are safe to ship lettermail if they are packaged properly and the seller doesn't mind hanging his bare butt out the window by shipping without tracking. 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

the candian mint sends coins lettermail from their collector site.  Dont know what value they move up to tracked, I only buy when theyv'e had sets of loonies and toonies at face/free shipping.  Always lettermail, only viable way to mail them even for them

They have them already sealed in a light plastic holder with separate pockets, which they drop in a bubble mailer and mail

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Feedback refers to a seller/buyer transaction.

Reviews are meant to refer to the product being sold,a nd may appear on ANY seller's listing.

So an excellent review of a Purple Sparkle Gootchie Doll may never appear on the original seller's account, because she never lists another.

But that excellent review may appear on the listings of a massive scammer who is listing counterfeit Purple Sparkle Gootchie Dolls.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

you mean this kind of shipping doesn't come with tracking? (irrelevant: My flash drive came from china 3 days ago. It had a tracking number. But beside it it said untracked. How can it have a tracking number if it is untracked? )
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

by the way what is the thickest and biggest thing you can ship lettermail?
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

but would a scammer have 100% positive? as for the reviews I read them because I was they were there and didn't have anything better to do at the time. Not that I was looking for them.
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

This question has been answered more than once on other posts of yours: the maximum thickness is 2cm.

Canada Post Find a Rate for future reference.

We can’t keep repeated ourselves. You insult the people who take time from their busy lives to help you when you make it clear that our answers go unread and unheard and lessons unlearned.
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

would a scammer have 100% positive?

A scammer who has only bought before has 100% positive.

A scammer using a hacked account chooses one with 100% positive (usually a buyer's account). We've discussed how to spot those.

A very large seller may have 100% positive but hundreds of negative and neutral FB because: ratios. We've already discussed this.

A seller may suddenly go rogue.

A dropshipper may not be able to get a product from his supplier and sell dozens before he learns the awful truth. (Not quite a scam, but a lot of dropshippers are too lazy to learn how to deal with this common problem.)

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

. How can it have a tracking number if it is untracked?

A barcode is not necessarily a tracking number.

Sometimes it is just bookkeeping for the postal service.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

How many coins are you bidding on?
It depends of weight, dimensions, and where they are being shipped.
I can ship 500 G of coins all over Canada as lettermail. Oversize, but still lettermail.
I've had to ship oversize non-paper content (23 coins 202G) to the U.S. as small packet or whatever it's called now.
If I can get a U.S. order into a standard letter size envelope, it goes for lettermail price.

There's no trick to packing coins properly. It just takes some common sense.
Why would anyone just throw them into an envelope? Duh right?
But I have received them that way, and haven't received them that way also, as yes, an envelope or two did wear or rip, and the coin(s) were gone.

I've received orders in ripped apart frayed cereal box cardboard with coins half hanging out of baggies scotch taped to it. Conan must've packed it.
I get the same pack job of 10-15 coins every week from the same seller.
It's a joke, but I ain't rockin' that boat because I like the product and price.

I've received proof silver dollars wrapped in paper towel tossed into a bubble envelope.
Guess what happened after the two MS dollars wore though the paper towel and started rubbing together.

Some sellers pack great, others... It's an adventure trying to navigate to the coin.
The speed of receipt and the manner and quality of packing tells me a lot about the seller I'm dealing with. Some have more pride than others.
And then there are those you can't really fault because their IQ is obviously competing with a sack of onions and they'll never get it anyway.
They are usually the 'toss the coin in and gouge for shipping' sellers.
If you've ever known or worked with anyone like that, you'll understand what I mean.

You best get bidding or your query is mute.
Just remember, it's the seller's responsibility to get the purchase to you in the same condition as described in the listing.
After you've paid, nothing else really matters.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

“And then there are those you can't really fault because their IQ is obviously competing with a sack of onions and they'll never get it anyway. They are usually the 'toss the coin in and gouge for shipping' sellers.”

Ugh, my top two sources of irritation when buying. Sloppy or lazy packing that ruins my order, and ransom-level handling fees.
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Which is why I don't like drop shipping
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Sorry I mixed up thickness with length.
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

"My flash drive came from china"

Good luck with your flash drive.

116 of what?
There's a big difference in size and weight between 116 five cents coins and 116 silver dollars.
Is it a collection or bulk lot?

It wou'd be a lot easier if you weren't so secretive and posted the item number.

If it is item 162835513882, it's easy to pack but quite overpriced.
If it is item 123077925563, and if you ever receive it, my guess would be 116 coins dumped in a baggie in a big envelope of some sort.
Unless the bids go much higher, with free shipping, the entire endeavor seems a non-starter.
I'd pass based on the seller's negative feedback, and my early experience of receiving a counterfeit 1937 CDN $5 banknote from Poland.
It wasn't even the bill pictured in the listing.
Anyway, those are the two 116 listings I found, and I'd pass on both.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply