Item removed after bid made-under 24 hours left

Hi there.made a bid on a music mixer,like 6 bucks at time time of bid,was the highest bidder.10 minutes later the item is gone.I took screen shots and it was removed with 23 hours left.can people do this?? I thought 24 max cancellation was policy? How can I report the seller as a scammer? Any help is appreciated
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@blackmetal969 wrote:
... made a bid on a music mixer,like 6 bucks at time time of bid,was the highest bidder. ... it was removed with 23 hours left. can people do this?? I thought 24 max cancellation was policy?

Not a scam.

Cancellation sale restrictions for an auction with bids kick in at 12 hours (not 24 hours).

And there is financial penalty if ended with over 12 hours left if there are bidders.

Details: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/end_early.html

ending an auctionending an auction

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The seller probably isn't a scammer because a scammer would take your money and send you a pile of crud in a box instead of what you won at auction. It's more likely a misguided or inexperienced seller who doesn't know what he or she is doing yet; they probably panicked when they saw the highest bid being lower than they were prepared to accept. 

To avoid this in future, stick to Buy it Now items. With a BIN, it's yours when you pay, not merely bid, and ebay takes stricter measures with canceled transactions rather than cancelled auctions.

It's also possible that ebay ended the auction which would mean the seller was identified as a fraud. 

If you want to pursue the matter, you'll have to call Customer Service with the item number. Be forewarned there's not a lot they can do for you at this point, but they will be sympathetic to your disappointment. 

Good luck.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Six of one....

The seller may have panicked when early bidding was lower than he had hoped.

Most strong bids arrive in the last few minutes or even seconds of an auction.

If this is the situation, the seller missed his chance to sell at a reasonable price (was your $6 your maximum bid? no one but the bidder can see his maximum bid) and may have received a Defect for closing the auction.

Or eBay may have noticed a scam auction and closed the listing and the account down.

In which case, you were protected from a nasty experience.

If 'music mixers' normally sell for $6, the first suggestion is likely the case.

If they usually sell for $600, the second is the likely case.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@blackmetal969 wrote:
... made a bid on a music mixer,like 6 bucks at time time of bid,was the highest bidder. ... it was removed with 23 hours left. can people do this?? I thought 24 max cancellation was policy?

Not a scam.

Cancellation sale restrictions for an auction with bids kick in at 12 hours (not 24 hours).

And there is financial penalty if ended with over 12 hours left if there are bidders.

Details: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/end_early.html

ending an auctionending an auction

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I don't believe that the whole reasonable price thing should he an option to close an auction.its eBay.if I was gonna pay regular price I wouldn't use eBay ever. Sellers should price their items ad per what they want not start at $5. Hoping for $5000 that's just stupid. Oh well I'll keep an eye out for the seller to see if its happening more than once. Again thanks to everyone for clarifying the policy.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

"its eBay.if I was gonna pay regular price I wouldn't use eBay ever."

Er. We're not selling wristwatches from trenchcoats on the sidewalk here. Ebay is populated by more legitimate business owners than not, most of whom specialize in offering items that are otherwise hard-to-find; we're not fencing stolen goods. If you find a price that's too good to be true, it's most likely genuinely too good to be true. 

If you want to get electronic goods at 5 cents on the dollar, you're going to have to start hanging around the backdoor of shady nightclubs, ebay is not that place anymore if it ever was. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Probably why I barely use it anymore, everything is overpriced junk. Luckily I have discogs to compare prices,that'd where allcmy money goes,FAIR sellers,not eBay scammers. Its too bad eBay used to be a place for deals not hoarders thinking their junk is worth top dollar lmfao.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply