Items posted as "Very Rare"

I would just like to inform buyers to comparison shop, alot of times a Buy it Now item is less then the live auction price.(yes I know some items get in a bidding war & end up selling for more) I recently came across a seller who has an item listed in title as "Very Rare" for $19.99 BIN when I hit the good ole' "View similar items" many of the same came up at $0.99 BIN I messaged the seller & asked what made their item "Very Rare" when so many are posted at $0.99 Buy it Now Sellers reply "Are you a Clown" I replied back just asking a legit question Seller replied if I messaged again I would be reported for "Bullying" I then viewed sellers other items for sale & ALL have "Very Rare" or "Extremly Rare" listed 1st in all titles. I have been in this hobby over 50 years & have been buying & selling on Ebay for the last 10 years. I would just like to remind buyers to comparison shop before buying & be careful of sellers listing item(s) as "Very Rare" etc.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Items posted as "Very Rare"

There's a lot of this on ebay. In my selling category i see that all the time sellers rating their items as mint or near mint while they are in very average to bad condition. Sellers are just using the power of suggestion to fool buyers. If something is suggested to be rare or for my category exemple to be mint, a percentage of people will unconsciously believe it and can buy because of it. I got fooled myself twice buying trading cards in bulk stated as near mint and in my hands were in very average condition. Some sellers pretends naivety and thinks that offering a return after makes them safe

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Good day!  In my niche I also have a seller who puts rare into every title, although the items are not.  My buyers are a very savvy lot, so I have no fear that this will con them.  I tend to undergrade my items, I would rather my buyer being pleasantly surprised than disappointed.  The same seller puts free shipping in the title even though in the ad details he charges shipping!  I guess he thinks that will get him more views but.......

Have a successful weekend

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The word "rare" is one of the most over-used, over-rated words in listings; often used in listings of common items that have little value, but the over-zealous seller really has done no research or comparison checking on the item. This can be seen on item listings everywhere on most any selling venue out there. Informing the seller usually goes no where as the seller often quite adamant that their item is really special. Best to just let it be - eventually the seller will learn that there really isn't the value there that they thought... when the item doesn't sell after many months...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

To me the Term "RARE" or "VERY RARE"   means something that is possibly the only item out  there

In 37 plus years of selling Antiques/Nostalgia I have maybe 2 or 3 items that justify the term.  There are however items that are very difficult to find but they are out there but are scarce and one may or not find them at some point. Very elusive they do show up at times

At this point I only have one item that I consider the term Rare applies. It is one of a kind and it can be shown as so.  This piece is a Counter Top Writing Desk Circa 1894 or so. Used in a very well known Historic Canadian Photographic Studio that under 2 names was in business for approx 120  years before closing in the 1990's

The desk itself is not Rare  it is a style that often appears from time to time but it is what is on it that justifies the Term.  What makes it unique is that it is signed and dated by a number of the Studios employees between 1894 to 1950.  Some of these folk are well known in the Antique Vintage Photographic Circle.   Some signatures are done in Ink and have lasted over the years some are engraved into the wood. I have owned this for over 30 years and every once in awhile have offered it for sale but not seiously. The majority of time it is displayed in my Place  One of the few times I have used the term because it is one of a kind. This studios  equipment/furniture etc  for the most part is well known and folk know where they are if not disposed of.  This desk was the only one the employees signed  other ones had scribbling at times but no signatures and dates. There are numerous references to it appearing in the business over the years 

Both on and offline I see the term Rare. At times it is used because people are not familiar with the items see it have never seen another so has to be. Other times some use the Term as a Tool to attract attention to it sometimes they know it is not but use it to get the unsespcting to purchase it

Not that there are not items very difficult to find and at times dang near impossible to find in the market place but  at times  somewhere there are more out there. just not in volume Have owned numerous items like this over the years. I will mark them as difficult to find because they are

Over the years buying I have had many bring me things they consder rare but really are not. They just are not familiar with the items and don't know the amount that show up

I have dealt in Old Toys for 37 years. Used to deal in Batter Op ones from the late 40's to the 60's  Have changed my  scope now and now go for earlier items with the exception of Robots usually One in Particular is very common The Roscoe Bartender. A few differnt Versions and has been reissued a number of times They are Out and about depending on how far I travel and look have seen hundreds of them over a year period. I was constantly offered them  and did not buy  them. If a customer wanted one I could easily get my hands on one.  They are neat Toys and nice to have.   Did  not get into it with folk just declined not worth the hassle when some thought I was trying to pull the wool over their eyes to get it cheap.  Happens with other toys and items too it's just I know from experience

The joy is finding something that is hard to find very hard to find  and at times Rare but in my experience those pieces are few and far between  When I do what a Rush! Other items I really want my not be all that difficult to find but are still great items to have in ones inventory. If I waited for just Very Difficult pieces to find and the odd rare one I would most likely just be a Collector which is great just not something I am .

When I do get them I am thrilled makes this venture very worth while

To me if one uses the Term RARE and it is not they could be shooting themselves in the foot.  While not all will find out some do down the road and their future business dealings with the person is RARE or not at all. Defeats the whole purpose of being in Business. My goal is Repeat Customers and new ones  who trust what I am doing and come back to me

weavers

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The other part of this practice is that while we have a reasonably generous 80 keystrokes for our Titles there are some words that are rarely used in Searches.

Rare is one. Look! or worse L@@k! another.

It's a practise that backfires.

If a customer checks out the "rare" listing and finds that the item is common and over-graded,  that taints the rest of his stock for that buyer.

His communication with the OP shows a thin skin. What is his FB Left for Others like?  And his rating?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I never use rare or vintage in my titles or description. I use the title 80 characters for keywords of the item. I leave it up to the potential buyer to decide if it is rare or vintage.

Some sellers of my items use rare and vintage a lot. But poor title not saying much about the item and the description has one line about the item and the rest about their terms from 10 years ago that are non applicable and out of date. The only vintage about the item is the listing description. Lol. And the rare part is that the listing hasn’t sold in 10+ years. Lol.

The other rare and vintage listings that are amusing are the ones with a quantity of more that 1 with no pictures of the actual item you will receive.

I am selling my older vintage computer parts from late 70s and 80s.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The minute I see "rare" in a description I look elsewhere.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

...listings that are amusing are the ones with a quantity of more that 1 with no pictures of the actual item

This would be the practice I would like to see banned.

Especially those "variation" listings with an assortment of unrelated items/ the price of the cheapest item/ and a picture of the most expensive.

Those are beyond foolish, like wasting space in titles, and verge on fraudulent.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply