Ordered a Jacket: It smells heavily of smoke such that it is unwearable. What do I do?

I recently ordered a raincoat. It was delivered today, and when I opened the package, I was overwhelmed by the stench of cigarettes. 

The listing said nothing about this. Not even 'from a smoke-free home'. I checked the seller's negative feedback after receiving the coat and sure enough, all of them mention a smoke smell. 

I'm a new eBay buyer. All my buying experiences so far have been overwhelmingly positive. I'm not sure what I should do. I want this coat out of my house because the smell permeates everything around it.

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Ordered a Jacket: It smells heavily of smoke such that it is unwearable. What do I do?

you can open a case on ebay, for item not as described, the seller will then either provide you with a label to return it, or they will issue you a refund and you do what you want with it at that point,  after you open the item not as described, the seller has i believe 4 days to respond to you, if they don't , then you can click on ask ebay to step in, if the seller isn't helping you out..

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@dererei_1 

The Resolution Centre is at the bottom of this page.

There is a suggestion that you Contact the Seller. What you want from him is Return Shipping and/or a refund.

If you get return shipping, you want a refund on delivery to him.

Don't get into a conversation.

If he is in Canada, a return shipping label is easy to send as a pdf from Canada Post.

If he is in the USA,he can buy a Canada Post shipping label on Shippo.com. He may find this useful to help with choosing the right service.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

If he is not helpful, ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.

EBay should then supply you with a shipping label and when the tracking shows delivery, you will be refunded.

He gets charged for the return shipping  and for the refund. There are other results for him.

When the refund is recieved, leave calm and factual feedback, but don't mention that eBay had to force the refund.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You could try Ebay's resolution Center and have the rain coat sent back (you'll be refunded too).

If you love the look of the raincoat and want to keep it, try obtaining a paper bag to place it in. Keep it sealed for about 3 days and see if the smell is still as strong after you remove it from the bag.

What the bag should do as it's done for smoke tainted books and DVDs is absorb the smell of the smoke. Medical professionals recommend using paper bags to extend the life expectancy of face masks.

Give the coat a quick once over with a clothing safe cleaning solution/disinfectant after it's been in the bag, just to make sure.

Hopefully it works for you.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply