Please Help - Want to buy Unlocked iPhone XR A2108

fidibe-0
Community Member

Hi,

I'm pretty new to eBay and only intend to buy stuff I need. Trying to make my first purchase if you understand what I mean. I intend to buy an unlocked iPhone XR model from Hong Kong (Singapore) and have the seller ship it to me here in Canada. Any advise on how best this can be done without hassles considering that the transaction cost price is impressive? I see some concerns and anxiety on shipment tracking, duration and claims refunds.

Please what is the safest mode of payment for this type of purchase? The listed prices for the phones go from $1,250CAD upwards.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I wouldn't buy something like that online. Go to an Apple store.

Yes you will wait/pay more but you won't be out of pocket money for nothing and you have receipts from Apple to back you up in case something happens like phone gets blacklisted or locked.

Not all dealers are shady but for such a new model it ain't worth the risk.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Don't be surprised if you get a fake iPhone.

I wouldn't bother buying a iPhone from anywhere but Apple because there is just no point unless your looking for a used one. In that case you should stick to at least North America still.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Ditto all of the above.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Add to the quoted cost of buying and shipping the phone from Singapore the possible cost of  returning it if it is not as described.

Yes you will be protected by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, which runs for 30 days from delivery.

How does that compare to the Apple Store guarantee.

And you will be protected by Paypal's Buyer Protection which runs 180days from payment BUT you have to return the phone to Singapore at your own expense with tracking. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

And you are also protected by your credit card's chargeback policy if you attach your card to your PP account, which is a good idea in any case.

All of which being said-- don't buy a phone from Singapore.

Not here, Not on Amazon, not from iPhonesR Us (Singapore) Ltd. 

Still, you might oughta clear out before too much longer. Seems there’s a thief about.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds                                   

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@fidibe-0 

I intend to buy an unlocked iPhone XR model from Hong Kong (Singapore) and

Ummmm-- Hong Kong is not Singapore. It is a part of mainland China with a Communist government.

Singapore is an island city state, off the coast of Malaysia with a democratic government and a centre of capitalist finance.

If the seller is conflating the two, run !

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

"the transaction cost price is impressive"

Duh, of course it is... it's a knock off

At the very least you're in for a world of hassle, and at worst ripped off.

Get it from Apple, or buy an Android and root it yourself.

You should be able to get a phone for free or at minimal cost from a cell phone carrier/provider.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@fidibe-0 wrote:

The listed prices for the phones go from $1,250CAD upwards.

Seeing as the Apple website has these phones starting at C$1100, I don't see what you have to gain by purchasing one from overseas.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply