Seller end auction early, I paid, he wants to refund and that I send by paypal

jpeg93
Community Member

Hello,

the seller ended the auction early, I paid by Paypal, and he set a tracking number.

I received a message telling me of his sickness, that he would like to refund, and that I send money via Paypal.

It's a scam, isn't it? How do I proceed now?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Although you used Paypal to pay, he receives your payment through Managed Payments.

MP puts a Hold on payments from new and occasional sellers for up to 30 days.  How long has he been selling and how long ago was his last sale?

If he wants to refund you, he can do that without your cooperation.  (But not without penalites for cancelling the transaction.)

You would receive your refund in your Paypal account, or if your PP account is backed by a credit card, on your card.

that he would like to refund, and that I send money via Paypal.

You do not have to send anything.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hello,

thanks for the reply, of course, I'm not accepting that he refund and send the payment by Paypal, it is too suspicious.

It already sounds suspicious when he ended the auction early.

Also even if it's an old account, there are not a lot of transactions. The last item was last month. And before that, it was one year ago.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I think we have a language problem.

Does the seller want YOU to send more money for him to cancel?

Or is the seller telling you that you will see your refund (the money you paid and he will return) in your Paypal account?

The second is not a problem or a scam.

My only worry is that sellers do not know how the buyer paid. That is one of the reasons for payment processors.

Is he asking for your PP information so he can send your refund directly to your Paypal account? That would be a red flag, because he doesn't need to do that.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I paid the seller by PayPal and he set a tracking number and said he sent the item.

Now he sent a message saying he wants to refund my payment through eBay and that I send money again directly "via zelle or PayPal or something like that".

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

If you did that you would lose any ebay money back guarantee protection.  I think that your instincts are correct and that you should not agree with what he wants to do.

As reallynicestamps mentioned, the seller might be trying to get their money faster as ebay is likely holding their money for a while.  If you paid them directly through PP they would have access to their money faster.  Or, they may be trying to avoid paying ebay fees.  Either way, it is not your problem and would not be to your benefit to what they are asking.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Yes, I'm not replying to anything. There's a tracking number, hopefully, it is a real one.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply