Seller refusing to provide return tracking, eBay is of no help

setro_83
Community Member

So I just bought an item (the 2lp version of Sgt. Peppers for $100) and when it arrived I had realized the seller shipped the wrong item (the 1lp version of Sgt. Peppers which retails for $50) that they described.

My first thought was, I need to return this it must've been a simple mistake...then the buyer offered $20 back then continued to threaten me saying that he refuses to pay for the return shipping and that I should've accepted the $20 because it's going to cost me a fortune to send it back... which I didn't find to be reasonable response considering this was his mistake and I'd still be at a loss.

I eventually told him I'd eat the cost of the record and give him a terrible review (because he made it seem like I had no other choice unless I paid the shipping cost from my country which he claimed would be really expensive). I felt like this was all against the rules so I brought this to eBay and they sent me this...

Hi,

Seller **** let us know that they can't buy a return shipping label for you to use for THE BEATLES - Sgt. Peppers (Anniversary Edition) - 12" Vinyl Record LP - SEALED.

The seller is still responsible for return shipping costs, so contact them to arrange return shipping."

So now I'm left wondering what do I do? Do I accept the album I thought I had no option but to return at a possibly even higher loss? Do I ask to refute my last statement of accepting the album because he was lying? What if he says no? Will eBay actually do anything now that I "accepted" the album in the messages when truly I didn't think I had a choice? This is by far my worst experience with eBay and idk what to do.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You bought a 2-LP album.

You got a one LP album.

This is a simple Not As Described (NAD) dispute.

You have 30 days from delivery to open the Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

The suggestion that you Contact the Seller can be ignored.

saying that he refuses to pay for the return shipping and that I should've accepted the $20 because it's going to cost me a fortune to send it back..

The seller is allowed to demand the unwanted item be returned, however with an NAD, he is required to send you return shipping.

• With international transactions, this may actually be done by eBay, but that's not your problem.

When you return the unwanted item and the tracking shows Delivery, you will be refunded.

You can then leave appropriate Feedback.

This is business, not personal.

and give him a terrible review (because he made it seem like I had no other choice

I regret that you mentioned feedback at all in your heated correspondence with the seller, since Feedback Extortion  is frowned on by eBay and might hurt your case. Fingers crossed it won't come up.

If more than 30 days have passed since delivery, you cannot dispute on eBay but you have 180 days for a Paypal dispute and there is also the chargeback function of the credit card you back your PP account with.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I looked at the recent sales of this seller and I bet you on Mar 9/21 the sale for $25 was for the LP you received and they recieved the 2LP instead.  The seller had both and sent the wrong LP to the buyer from Mar 9/21.    I have done that myself when I have had a number of issues of the same CD.  It is not as described and the seller should let you return the item on their dime.  The most it is worth is the $25 that the buyer from Mar 9/21 paid.  If they don't want to send you money for the shipping they should reimburse you, at least $75, the difference between the 2 LP's. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

He either thinks you are trying to cheat him or he is angry with himself, depending on how self-aware he is.

Given his reaction, it's the second.

Meanwhile the guy who paid for the one disc album should be leaving very positive feedback.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Go to Canada Post 'find a rate' page and figure out the price of return shipping with delivery confirmation.  Depending on where the seller lives you will need to use either tracked packet, expedited parcel or xpresspost  in order to have delivery confirmation. Send the seller a message through the case to let them know how much the cost will be and your PayPal address so that they can send you the money.  If they refuse to do so contact eBay customer service.  If you have Facebook, send eBay a private message there as the cs is quite good. They will likely force the seller to refund without a return.  

When you send the message with a shipping cost, don't get into a back and forth discussion.  Tell them that eBay told you that the seller could send the money through PayPal and it will cost xx to ship back.  Ignore the seller if they start arguing.  Do not pay for the postage yourself as eBay can not force the seller to reimburse you.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply