Small Packet was sent by Canada Post SURFACE to Europe(Macedonia)

algozd
Community Member

Hi all, 

I need a little help (information) I bought a tablet from a salesman from Quebec, and is was sent via Canada Post SORFACE(I do not know why not send via Air Mail).  Destination at which to arrive is Europe - Macedonia. Can you tell me about how much time should get shipment? Package was sent on July 31 and still not received. Thanks in advance.

Goran.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Hi there,

Surface I have found to Europe can take 6-8 weeks, depending on your shipping agreement, especially if it was sent regular mail. Did you receive a tracking number? Many sellers will ship it regular mail (ground) if the buyer requests the lowest possible price to mail. If you requested receiving it express, most likely it would have been shipped faster (air)with extra cost.  I had shipped a ring from Ottawa Canada to the Netherlands and the customer wanted it ground shipped. It took 2 months.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

As the other poster mentioned, it can take quite a while when sent by boat.  Keep in mind that you can file an item not received claim through paypal up to 45 days after you made payment. If you still haven't received the item on day 43 you should open a claim. I believe that once you open it, you still have some time (20 days?) before you have to escalate (ask paypal to rule on the claim)  the claim so if you wait, there will still be time for the item to be delivered.  If the laptop doesn't arrive, make sure you escalate the claim before time runs out.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

You absolutely should NOT open a claim. If you chose SURFACE mail then you need to WAIT for your order to arrive. To do otherwise is no different than shoplifting. I have been shipping overseas for over a decade, with about 80% of items going via surface mail, as chosen by the buyer. In that time, I have NEVER had an item not arrive. You have nothing to worry about, if you are dealing with a reputable seller. Check their feedback, communicate directly with them, then WAIT. If something were actually to happen to your order, then your buyer could open up a CandaPost insurance claim on your behalf, but nothing will go wrong. If you are not prepared to wait, then choose AIRMAIL at at least twice the cost, next time.

In my experience, to Greece, Macedonia, etc. typically takes in the 2-3 month range, often because of slow Customs clearance times in those countries.

Again, unless there is something in the seller's feedback that makes you very nervous, it is wrong to open a claim. It seriously damages the seller (especially with the most recent ebay updates), and they did nothing wrong except offer you an inexpensive shipping option.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

"To do otherwise is no different than shoplifting"

Seriously?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

The seller was probably acting in good faith to save you money on expensive Air Mail shipping, but he was foolish, since the slow arrival is bound to make the buyer nervous.

As a seller, I agree that the buyer should start an Item Not Received claim on Day 43 if it has not yet arrived. This will extend the time of the claim by 20 days, I understand, which is actually a benefit to the seller. 

More to the point, if the item never arrives (and I have no clue about the postal and customs systems in Macedonia) and the buyer is out his money.

Does that seem right to you?-- Jubal Early

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

As the other poster mentioned, it can take quite a while when sent by boat.

Problem is not the transit mode but logistics. Cargo boat trip across Atlantic takes 1-2wks (New York to Le Havre, France is 3062 nautical miles. At 20 knots, that would be 6 days 9 hours and 6 minutes).

CanadaPost has sea container for every destination and they only ship container when full. So mailpiece to unpopular destination may be sitting in CanadaPost warehouse for months before taking 1wk boat trip.

This is the same for air-shipments, only mail containers are smaller and fill-up faster.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

I not received tracking number (for shipping I paid 25$ US)

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

algozd
Community Member

Thanks to all for replay, I still not received the packet, I don't tracking number. The seller is not very smart. A package declared as an expensive tablet might be stolen...(for shipping I paid 25$ US)

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

true, seller want save money on expensive Air Mail shipping and send the packet without tracking number, I do not understand why??? I will open the case e want full refund, I can not wait forever, because I do not know when arrive the packet to macedonia, if the item arrives later, I'll repay. I think it's fair.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@algozd wrote:

true, seller want save money on expensive Air Mail shipping and send the packet without tracking number, I do not understand why??? I will open the case e want full refund, I can not wait forever, because I do not know when arrive the packet to macedonia, if the item arrives later, I'll repay. I think it's fair.

It's not the seller who would save money by sending the item the way they did...it is the buyer who pays for shipping.  If the package was 500gr - 1 kg and they had sent it with a method that had tracking, the shipping cost to you would have been from $48 - $72 depending if they sent it by surface or air.

Even if they sent it without tracking by air, the cost would have been $43.

Have you contacted the seller yet telling them that you haven't received the tablet and that you are concerned? If you offer to repay when you receive the item they may offer to refund you without you having to open a case.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Yes, I contacted the seller, he said that this is the first shipment to Europe, and he don't knows when I recieved the tablet... I requested to refund my money, but do not want to hear 😞 any suggestion? help? 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The seller sent the item in good faith, you wanted to save a couple of bucks on shipping and so asked that it be sent surface, the cheapest method. As a seller in Canada the postage is world class, we pay 4 times as much to send the same item to Europe as our friends to the south, the USA. We have a hard time selling on ebay as it is and sometimes we throw caution to the wind and send a package via surface, we are too nice for our own good. So here is the tale, the seller pays for the item, sends it, pays the shipping and the buyer does not want to wait for the item to arrive so promises to pay if it ever comes. Sounds like a scam to me. I have found myself in the same position and except for the one guy who claimed to not get the item in 6 weeks when he knew it would take at least 8 and probably 12 weeks. The buyer who took advantage of the system gets his item, gets a refund and me the seller is out the cost of the item and postage paid out of pocket. Some system. And the buyer did not want to hear anything, never responded to my communications. I have been a member since 2004, bought and sold thousands of items and have never lost one, ever. Except the Scammer.

Yes it is just like shoplifting, worse, a mugging.

I was tempted to shut down my store and paypal account just to give him what he deserved but that would have made me the same type. Tempted but integrity prevailed.

Paledrome in Victoria

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

This thread has arisen from the grave. It's dated 2014. 

Although the original advice may be spot-on, circumstances may have changed and policies may now be different so the information may no longer be guaranteed to be accurate. 

@happy_pigeon, we have a Zombie Thread. Please assist. Thanks.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

Although the original advice may be spot-on, circumstances may have changed and policies may now be different so the information may no longer be guaranteed to be accurate. 

Case in point, the timeframe for filing INRs has changed since 2014.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply