Some Montreal customers here? I need your help!

snake_qc-0
Community Member

I'm in Montreal and I'm waiting for a chinese parcels who was ''customs cleared'' at Vancouver! So, now my tracking show that the item is ''arrived at Calgary'' not delivered, just arrived!!! i'm in Montreal, so is it the normal route to transit from Vancouver to Montreal? I was expecting my item to be directly sent from Vancouver to Montreal! Is it normal that my package is at Calgary now? Or is it a mistake by Post Canada?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

marnotom!
Community Member

When it comes to international mail, the postal system for outbound mail chooses the least expensive--which usually means closest--mail centre in the receiving country to send packages.  The receiving country then gets stuck with the task of getting the mail out to wherever it's supposed to go.

Obviously, it's going to be less expensive to fly stuff from China out to Vancouver (Richmond) than it is to Montreal (St. Laurent).

Sounds as though everything's going as it should for your package.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Canada Post , like USPS /UPS/ FedEx, uses a spoke and hub distribution system.

Basically, many small parcels are put in one big box and sent to the next point.

If the box is full that may be Vancouver to Montreal, but if the box is only half full, it may stop in Calgary, pick up more shipments and then move on to Montreal.

Or Mississauga.

The point is,when the big box arrives in Montreal, it will be full.

(And a shipment for the guy in Val d'Or will be in the same box.)

Now two things.

That's partly metaphorical. The box may be the size of a small dumpster or the size of a railway car.

And more importantly-- your parcel is NOT in Calgary. That's just where someone recorded it as being in that big box.

You got an estimated window for arrival from eBay.

Is your shipment delayed past the last date?

If so, what you need to know is not tracking, which is a Seller Protection and of no real value to the buyer*, but how to open an Item Not Received Dispute.

If you can, and it is an emotional decision, on your next order, put the last estimated date for arrival on your calendar and don't look at tracking at all.

You are covered by eBay Buyer Protection, Paypal Buyer Protection and the chargeback policy of the credit card you back your PP account with.

*except emotional

Message 3 of 3
latest reply