To pay using PayPal or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller? second try.

amcdc79
Community Member

Why tyler closed the original thread is beyond me. The question is valid, had not been answered, there was no outdated information, and I believe ebay knows why.

I tried to buy an item from a seller who did NOT use the GSP, it was on their site that I was unable to pay in any form. A couple of days later when I tried again, the seller was then out of stock, so my only option was to purchase from a seller using the GSP. Which I did, and of all the items I have bought lately, of course I am still waiting for it to show up.

Anyway you look at it, it smells bad. Either the non GSP seller was not supposed to be selling the product and was taken down, even though they had set up their shipping for WORLD WIDE.

OR

ebay is forcing buyers to go through the GSP.

I may be absolutely wrong, but it just looks like something is not above board.

Fyi- not using the GSP would have been the cheaper solution, even if taxes and duty had been added at the border, and paid to CP at the door.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: To pay using PayPal or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller? second try.

Sellers who do not want to sell outside their own country (usually the USA, where the population is even more paranoid and xenophobic than Trump's following would indicate) can Block payments from buyers with Paypal accounts based in other countries.

Canadian sellers pay, I believe, 3.7% for non-Canada based PP payments. Americans pay 4.4 %.

Compared to 2.9% for domestic-based PP payments.

That a GSP seller does not have that optional Block in place should be obvious. He wants to widen his customer base, while having the increased Seller Protection of the GSP.

In terms of the slow delivery, if you have taken into account Canada Day , which should have had no impact, and Independence Day, which being on a Thursday probably meant a three day slowdown at USPS, then you still have the option of a Dispute.

EBay gave you a last estimated date for arrival. If that date has passed, you have 30 days to file an Item Not Received Dispute.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: To pay using PayPal or credit card, you must live in the same country as the seller? second try.

The seller not using the GSP was offering worldwide shipping, there was a reasonable shipping cost for Canadians. In oder for me to even see his listing, there had to be a shipping charge to Canada. They were willing to ship outside of the US, that is not the issue. 

That they would not accept Payment via PayPal, or any other payment form, was the issue.

The package went from Vancouver Washington to Kentucky to Mississsauga to Richmond, and hopefully to me fairly soon.

Thank you for the reminder of the Holidays, I was also aware of them, and took them into account.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

In oder for me to even see his listing, there had to be a shipping charge to Canada. They were willing to ship outside of the US, that is not the issue.

Yes. I understand that. You're right.

The seller may have Blocked non-US credit cards without realizing that he also Blocked almost all non-US buyers.  Leaving only-- hmmm-- troops stationed in Germany or peripatetic business travellers?

It may not be the right reason, but it's a possibility.

Did the seller check for PP blocks when you asked him?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @amcdc79

I closed the original thread because it was from 2017 and had had no activity in the past 29 months. Starting a new thread is the best course of action in situations where a thread has had no activity in 6 months or more, so thanks for doing so!

@femmefan1946's theory is the most probable: that the seller's PayPal was restricted from receiving international funds. Customer Service can research the attempted transaction for specifics if you'd like - I'd advise reaching out via social media (Facebook or Twitter) for help reviewing what happened. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

No reply from the seller when asked why they would not take payment.

Package has arrived, yea!

Thank you tyler for your reply, as you know when starting a discussion, there are suggestions listed from previous threads. I could not start another thread unless I changed the wording of the title, which is why it says second try.

If I ever sign up for social media, I am sure I will get an answer to any question I have. In the meantime, I try to use whatever ebay allows, without having to sign up for those options.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Did the seller ever get paid? I understand that you paid him, or tried to, but did he ever get the payment?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I had to buy from a seller who used the GSP, as the seller who didn't, was the one who I could not pay.

Again my case,

Two sellers with the same product, one uses the GSP, the other does not but is set up for worldwide shipping including Canada.

The NON GSP seller according to ebay will not accept payment via PayPal, or any other form unless I lived in the same country. How is this possible, and why would the seller offer to ship to your country, but not accept payment? Sounds fishy to me.

ebay left me no choice, I had to buy from a seller who used the GSP. The cost was higher, and it took longer to arrive. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I love ebay, but this still disgusts me when ever I think about it.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Or possibly the non-performing seller has enrolled or been enrolled in the fairly new Managed Payments Program,w hich cuts Paypal out of the picture?

Or he just might be a jerk.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply