Where is my returned item? Need updates on it but I can't find it....

Hi!

I recently returned an item that I purchased using eBay's return/refund system. Now I want to check the status or check if there are any updates, and I just can't find it...

If I go to "purchase history", it's not there. Tried a few other links in "My eBay", but found nothing. It's just like if it never existed. Is there a returned items section? Where are they?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Unless you returned the item with tracking, you will lose any case you open with eBay or Paypal.

If you returned it with tracking, I hope you kept the other half of the receipt.

The tracking number is on the receipt.

However, not every tracked service works in every country.

Registered Mail, for example, now only is valid with the postal system that Registered it.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

The Canada Post website will tell you if you item would be tracked to its destination.

It will also allow you to see where your shipment is. Look under Tools.

You sent the item in January? 2018?

Since you couldn't send in on New Year's Day, it has been in transit for only seven calendar days (and only five business days).

It might have arrived at a Canadian destination by now, but probably not to a US one.

TL/DR  : Keep your own records. Anything else is just a backup.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

If you are hoping for assistance from the VOLUNTEERS such as myself who come here to help other users, it is important to remember to remain polite. 

Did you check your Purchase History like I also suggested? 

Have you called Ebay Customer Service?

Good luck.

You're welcome. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

If you didn't send with tracking, neither eBay nor Paypal will help you.

They require PROOF of delivery to process a refund for returned merchandise.

The Resolution Centre for eBay is at the bottom of this page.

The Resolution Centre for Paypal is at the top of the PP account page under tools.

But if you just shipped off the return without tracking it, you are completely and totally at the mercy of your seller to refund you when it gets to him.

Which is sometime next week, based on what you've told us.

Most people are honest, so he probably will refund.

If he doesn't, you were the one who decided not to track and will have to live with that decision.

And if you deleted your eBay information, it is still on your Paypal account.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

There is a glitch on eBay and I have had the same issue. My returns are missing.

Have a look in your My eBay Messages and hopefully the link/message for the case is still there. The messages folder is seperate from the emails they sent, so hopefully a copy is still there with a link that will take you to the case.

Failing that you can call eBay, a rather long process but they might be able to help.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

As a seller, I find that data under the Resolution Centre. If you're on a desktop, it's to be found at the bottom of each page. 

How long ago did you return the item? With tracking? 

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Checked the resolution center, but the only return there is a seller return. Checked both ebay.com and ebay.ca...

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

How long ago did this transaction and/or return take place? There are limits to the amount of time a case stays open. 

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

In january... I doubt that the case has closed. Anyways, shouldn't there be a trace even if the case was closed? I mean, I still purchased an item and I sent money and I had eBay order details. Now everything just disappeared... What if I just wanted to print something to give to my accountant... Or if I just wanted to print a list of my purchases... Or if I just wanted to print a proof that the case was closed... Or anything lol! Any type of follow-up not possible if I can't find any trace of the transaction, no???

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Did you look under Closed Cases in the Resolution Centre?

Try looking under 2017 in your Purchase History.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Closed Cases:

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 5.27.53 PM.png

The history of Purchase History:

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 5.27.23 PM.png

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

There is nothing there except my SELLER returns...

Have you actually SEEN some BUYER returns where you are pointing me too or are you just ASSUMING that they would be there because your SELLER returns are there????

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Are you looking for assistance, or are you looking for someone to be angry with? I'm here to offer you the former, not the latter. 

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Unless you returned the item with tracking, you will lose any case you open with eBay or Paypal.

If you returned it with tracking, I hope you kept the other half of the receipt.

The tracking number is on the receipt.

However, not every tracked service works in every country.

Registered Mail, for example, now only is valid with the postal system that Registered it.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

The Canada Post website will tell you if you item would be tracked to its destination.

It will also allow you to see where your shipment is. Look under Tools.

You sent the item in January? 2018?

Since you couldn't send in on New Year's Day, it has been in transit for only seven calendar days (and only five business days).

It might have arrived at a Canadian destination by now, but probably not to a US one.

TL/DR  : Keep your own records. Anything else is just a backup.

Politely.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@mjwl2006momcqueen wrote:

Are you looking for assistance, or are you looking for someone to be angry with? I'm here to offer you the former, not the latter. 

I am not angry. It's just that you answered my thread 4 times without even knowing the correct answer to my original question. I did not invent this. It is a fact.

Plus, you kept telling me to look somewhere even after I told you that there was nothing there.

Also, I was afraid that someone with the correct answer to my question might just take a quick look at this thread and take for granted that you already answered me, given the many answers you provided.

The reason I CAPITALIZED some words is that I felt like you did not listen to me, because you kept insisting on the wrong answer, even after I told you it was the wrong answer. I thought that by EMPHASIZING on some words might help you listen to what I was telling... It worked.

Am I being angry? No.

Was I angry that you answered the wrong answer? No.

Did I answer you a little bit more firmly after several times you kept posting wrong information on my thread without even knowing the correct answer to my original question? Yes.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Thank you femmefan1946.

I guess after looking everywhere, the thing is lost indeed. A few days ago, I could access the status on my case by clicking the link in the email eBay sent me when I opened the return, but I accidentally deleted the email and now I don't find it anymore.

This is weird procedure, because let's say I would want to contact the seller to ask him if he received my return... Then I could not even find who he is, because all traces of the return are lost. Fortunately, when I bought the product, I printed the order, so I still have some record of the sellers name...

I will wait a little bit before marking this as answered in case some "savior" comes in with a "magical" solution for me!

Thanks!

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

If you are hoping for assistance from the VOLUNTEERS such as myself who come here to help other users, it is important to remember to remain polite. 

Did you check your Purchase History like I also suggested? 

Have you called Ebay Customer Service?

Good luck.

You're welcome. 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Like I said in my original post, it's not in my purchase history.

I know how to behave in an online community. I may be new to eBay, but I am not new to the Internet and forums. I usually get good interactions online and I think that volunteers usually like to help me.

I think I am being polite and I think that it is in my right to draw a line when I feel that I am being un-listened to and when something goes against my convictions... but hey, this is just my personal opinion.

Also, what is more impolite? Not listening to someone and repeating him wrong information several times even after he told you that the information was wrong? Or telling firmly to the person repeating wrong information that he has given wrong information several times? Once again, this is just a matter of opinion.

Thank you for your precious advice.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Whether or not you have some electronic record is not what we're asking.

Did you send the item back with tracking?

If you didn't kiss your refund goodbye.

If you did, what did you do with the receipt ?

Either you printed it at home* and should have kept the half of the label that is meant for your records OR

you took it to the PO and got a cash register receipt.

In either of the latter cases, the tracking number is there.

If it has arrived-- look here to see it's last recorded location--

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e2s1

If it has arrived, enter the tracking number in your Dispute and you will be refunded.

If the seller doesn't refund you promptly, eBay will, and then go after the seller for their money.

*The printout also has the recipient's name and address.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Did you send the item back with tracking?

No, but this is irrelevant to my question. I understand the risks of sending without tracking and the money I save sending without tracking is greater than the money I loose once in a while for undelivered shipments. If the value is past a certain amount, then I use tracking.

@reallynicestamps wrote:
... enter the tracking number in your Dispute...

Yes! This IS my original question! Where is this dispute you are talking about? I used to access the return/dispute information by clicking the link in the email eBay sent me when I did the return, but I deleted the email and now I can't find the return/dispute anywhere in "My eBay". When I check my order history, it's not there either. It completely disappeared. You are asking me to enter the tracking number exactly at the place I am looking for since the beginning of this discussion. Where is it?

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Whether or not you have some electronic record is not what we're asking.

Maybe not, but this IS my original question. Where is my electronic record of this transaction inside eBay so that I can check if the seller has updated it as received or at least so that I can retrieve the seller information so that I can contact him.

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

I am not asking physically where my return is in the real word and solutions on how to check where it is or how to track it or how to see if it was received...

I am asking virtually, inside eBay, where my return is and how to access however you call it, probably dispute, to be able to follow-up with the seller on it.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

If you didn't send with tracking, neither eBay nor Paypal will help you.

They require PROOF of delivery to process a refund for returned merchandise.

The Resolution Centre for eBay is at the bottom of this page.

The Resolution Centre for Paypal is at the top of the PP account page under tools.

But if you just shipped off the return without tracking it, you are completely and totally at the mercy of your seller to refund you when it gets to him.

Which is sometime next week, based on what you've told us.

Most people are honest, so he probably will refund.

If he doesn't, you were the one who decided not to track and will have to live with that decision.

And if you deleted your eBay information, it is still on your Paypal account.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Hi reallynicestamps,

In the resolution center at the bottom of eBay, like I told before, I only see my seller returns. I tried all possible combinations of filters and I can guarantee it is not there. However I never thought of looking into Paypal. I will give it a try.

Still remains the mystery of the page inside eBay that contained all my return details. The page you say where I should input my tracking number. I used to click on the link in an email to access this page to check if the seller had received my return and updated the status, but now that I have deleted the email, I just can't find this page anymore...

I would have preferred to follow-up using this page to keep all the related information in the same place, but now that it's lost, I'll check my Paypal account... Good idea, had not thought about it.

Thanks!

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I still find it weird that when you return an item, it disappears from your purchase history, like if you never purchased it!

Message 20 of 28
latest reply