Your shipment is being returned due to issues encountered

From Canada purchased and paid for item from USA. 

Shipping status shows "Your shipment is being returned due to issues encountered"

I'm not able to open a dispute since the items is still "in transit".

Seller won't refund, what action would be next?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I opened an ebay customer service chat and they will process the refund with the seller.  The agent was extremely helpful to my surprise, very satistified. Let's just hope it works out and I get the refund. The agent assured me that the ebay money back gurantee is applicable.

thanks all for the help

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

You would have to wait until the "estimated delivery date" showing for the order to pass but then you could open an Item Not Received case. What is the date showing it should be delivered by? (not on shipping status but on the order/purchase page itself.) That's the date you want.

If it is being returned to seller for a problem ("issues encountered" is pretty vague! is it something that maybe can't be shipped/dangerous, etc?) you would think the seller would be cooperative and at least tell you what was happening or at least that they are trying to find out for you. If not the eBay Money Back Guarantee says you get money back if it doesn't arrive, is faulty or damaged, or not as described. You have to wait until the delivery date has passed to use the "hasn't arrived" part. Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
What shipping method was used by the seller?
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Bad news-- If the item is considered Undeliverable, eBay will not require the seller to refund anything.  And it is the buyer's responsibility to give a useable address and to know what can and cannot be imported.

Good news-- in addition to eBay's Money Back Guarantee, you are also covered by Paypal, if you used it, and by the chargeback provisions of your credit card.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The item is a laptop battery,  today i received an email from ebay stating the reason it undeliverable;

• Return Reason: Restricted/Prohibited Item. These issues can include custom restrictions, country sanctions, brand restrictions or eBay program restrictions.

There are 2 tracking number, ESUS and USPS

After receiving the email from ebay i tried to open a dispute but again it won't let me. The ebay shipping status shows Nov 4 as expected delivery date.

I used a CC and not paypal for the purchase. 

I reached out to the seller again but no response.  

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I opened an ebay customer service chat and they will process the refund with the seller.  The agent was extremely helpful to my surprise, very satistified. Let's just hope it works out and I get the refund. The agent assured me that the ebay money back gurantee is applicable.

thanks all for the help

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@pauleeboy wrote:

The item is a laptop battery,  today i received an email from ebay stating the reason it undeliverable;

• Return Reason: Restricted/Prohibited Item. These issues can include custom restrictions, country sanctions, brand restrictions or eBay program restrictions.

There are 2 tracking number, ESUS and USPS

After receiving the email from ebay i tried to open a dispute but again it won't let me. The ebay shipping status shows Nov 4 as expected delivery date.

I used a CC and not paypal for the purchase. 

I reached out to the seller again but no response.  

@pauleeboy 

See attached for the reasons why your package was stopped and what to do going forward.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/USPS-Hazardous-Materials-Requirements-in-Effect-Now/ba-p...

Items like this (L-ion batteries) should be blocked from being shipped with the Global Shipping Program but unfortunately they do not get caught until they arrive at customs.  It's the sellers responsibility to know what can or can't be sent through and also for buyers to due do dilligence.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

agreed, I'll be more diligent next time and not rely on sellers

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Shipping is the responsibility of the seller- they have to know what can and can't be shipped and how to package items that need special handling.

Perfume for example must not be shipped Air Mail, because it contains alcohol which is flammable.

Buyers are responsible for knowing what can be imported into their country.

Americans should not order Kindle Eggs from Canada.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Shipping is the responsibility of the seller- they have to know what can and can't be shipped and how to package items that need special handling.

Perfume for example must not be shipped Air Mail, because it contains alcohol which is flammable.

Buyers are responsible for knowing what can be imported into their country.

Americans should not order Kindle Eggs from Canada.

Re: "Kindle Eggs"..

Probably the last thing a buyer wants to do is a order an egg that talks to you!!

🤣

-Lotz

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

This just happened to me.  This was a battery for a tablet computer.  The batter was $19 US and shipping was $12 US.  Check out this delivery history (in reverse order):

Oct 27, 2022 6:25pm
Your shipment is being returned due to issues encountered.

Oct 27, 2022 6:24pm
Processing at Consolidation Center

Oct 27, 2022 10:54am
Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery by 9:00pm

Oct 27, 2022 10:43am
Arrived at Post Office
REDONDO BEACH, CA 90278

Oct 26, 2022 3:01am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
NORTHWEST ROCHESTER NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Oct 25, 2022 4:23pm
USPS in possession of item

HAMILTON, NY 13346
Oct 24, 2022 3:20pm
Tracking number provided

Shipping:
US $12.00
eBay International Standard Delivery to Canada

This was an "ESUS" tracking number.  It originated in New York state, but for some reason headed right over to California.   Ebay says I can't mark this item as "not delivered" until Nov. 15 even though their own tracking says it's being returned (to the seller).  How exactly do I take this up with ebay in a more timely manner?

And note the following:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/restrictions.page

Please note, lithium batteries can only be shipped within Canada and to the U.S.A. Lithium batteries can still be received in Canada from international destinations. View the full list of prohibited items.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply