will electronic devices made for europe work in canada if power supply is changed to canadian?

i'm wanting to buy an electronic device made for eu .  the device runs on an eu ac/dc plug.  Can i change the plug to us and still use the device in Canada?  

Thoughts ? anyone else try this and it works? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

will electronic devices made for europe work in canada if power supply is changed to canadian?

@temptress4u2c4 wrote:

i'm wanting to buy an electronic device made for eu .  the device runs on an eu ac/dc plug.  Can i change the plug to us and still use the device in Canada? 

It depends on the device.

If the device is running using DC and the plug is doing the converting from AC to DC, then yes -- provided you can find a AC/DC converting plug of the right DC output that fits for Canada.

-..-

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@temptress4u2c4 wrote:

It depends on the device.

If the device is running using DC and the plug is doing the converting from AC to DC, then yes -- provided you can find a AC/DC converting plug of the right DC output that fits for Canada.

-..-

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Why a 'device'?  if you say what it is, it is more likely someone will have an answer.

If it something like a kettle, no. If it is a game console, it probably has a switchable power supply. The transformer would be part of the plug.

If it is something embarrassing, we won't tell anybody.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If it is something embarrassing, we won't tell anybody.

Speak for yourself.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I was lying, of course. 🙂

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

tvs ,camcorders ,similar devices also don't work here,then there's 50 cycle issue ,we use 60 cycle in Canada/US, sound recording devices run faster a bit on 60 cycles.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so much for the info .. google almost broke my poor late night sleep deprived brain trying to find the answer 🙂 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

hahaha ... if you must "know" , its an android box not loaded from an experienced seller.  got a box locally , os problems returned , got another within a few weeks same thing .. can't return it ... paid almost 200 for it ... not doing it again .... lesson learned ... wanting to try from scratch as i learned alot from the first 2 boxes 🙂 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

.. can't return it ...

If the item is as described, but you misunderstood how it worked (or doesn't),you can still return it as Buyer Remorse.

Unlike Not As Described, you are required to pay for the return postage.

If that is too expensive, and it starts around $40, you could also try selling it on here on eBay, making clear the problem you faced.

No Returns as many sellers have learned to their dismay, does not mean No Refunds.

Reselling is probably more practical, however.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply