All Canadian sellers getting ripped off by ebay

Hey ebay, Canadians are tired of your company making us pay the paypal fees for the tax money that you automatically  take off  when the buyer pays ,if you want your  US tax money bill the buyer,or you pay your fees. As the Law Society of Canada  says they are going to look into and can see many law suites coming,anyway you can rip us off  you will ,so you should start paying back to the canadian sellers ,

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: All Canadian sellers getting ripped off by ebay

ebay even said  

After reading your email I was enlightened see all the valid points you pin-pointed. I also see the convenience this could bring to our sellers. Customer Service highly encourage you to submit the suggestion and recommendation to the links I provided below for our upper management:

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Then do something about it I am not ebays tax Accountant,I am dam tired of paying your fees ,you want the tax you get it direct from the buyer,or let me have it and I will give it to ,these other countrys,let them collect it from the buyers ,so I sent you an invoice of what you need to pay ,for the month ,and if not paid I just send it to a collection agency,no big deal,in the mean time i am paying my fees 1 cent at a time,**bleep** service from this company ,no wonder many people are stopping to sell here .

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

We should all stop selling on eBay,we deserve better then this
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Your correct I only now use it very little ,fees are now not worth it
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Just stop selling to America, problem solved.

I used to sell to America and now I won't bother because of the fact that the fee on top of taxes is a very low move. It's eBay's loss, not ours.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

than do some thing about it   we are paying fees on ebay taking money let ebay collects it them self .they are making lots on daily interest that we pay for .getting very tired of this company stealing from people.we pay your fees so you can pay the countries at the end of the month , and we pay for it.this is not right all you are doing is using my paypal to collect it . Highly ilegal .it is called laundering .and we are just tired of getting riped off

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

... "boycotts" have never worked, they did not work on eBay in the past and will not work today!

If you do not want to pay fees, then do not sell on eBay, build your own site and sell from that.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I have noticed that lately on few sales with USA buyers that they (buyers) now have to pay tax pending the state they are in.  Have noticed less USA buyers buying from on Ebay as they did in the past, they now contact me direct for items I may have rather through Ebay.

The other thing is in my mind which for some reason  I see it coming to Canada that anything you buy NEW or USED will have to pay TAX GST and Provincial pending where each buyer lives.

At the present time only brick mortar or those running as business having reg gst number ect are to collect SALES TAX on items they sell NEW or USED.

This sale tax that has now surfaced in the USA past 18 months has more then half the states enforcing Ebay to collect tax and I can see it coming soon to Canada and this will only drive down the sales on Ebay

Ask your self's how many would buy $20.00 hockey card or baseball card on Ebay that's 10 years old and have to pay tax

It will drive collectors buyers/sellers to different means of buying and selling rather then on Ebay.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

If you do not want to pay fees, then do not sell on eBay, build your own site and sell from that.

@brettjet38

I  think you missed the gist of this topic.   No one is saying that they do not want to pay LEGITIMATE FEES. 

That tax collection is not any foreign seller's responsibility.  It is eBay's responsibility.  eBay and the US states should be paying the fees for their own tax collection.

Are you implying that by downloading those PayPal fees onto the backs of foreign sellers,  eBay is attempting to drive sellers away from its site?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

At the present time only brick mortar or those running as business having reg gst number ect are to collect SALES TAX on items they sell NEW or USED.

No.

Any business seller with a presence (even if that is just a PO box) in a given province, and which grosses more than $30,000 Cdn annually, is required to register for collecting and remitting GST and/or provincial sales taxes.

It is not necessary to be formally set up as a business, although registering to collect taxes would be a form of that, I suppose.

And any business may voluntarily collect those taxes, which some do in the belief that they will be grossing enough to be required to do so, even if they have started smaller.

For the purposes of sales tax, there is no difference between new and used.

You pay sales tax on a used car just as you would on a new one.

My favourite thrift store has signs behind the cash registers proclaiming that they are required to collect sales taxes, both BC provincial and the federal GST.

Some specific items are not taxed. Bullion is one and in Ontario, books. BC does not tax children's clothing or shoes, whether new or used.

I can see it coming soon to Canada and this will only drive down the sales on Ebay

It's been here since 1991.

It's called the GST.

Most eBay sellers are small mom'n'pop entities (and sometimes just mom) who do not gross enough to be required to remit taxes.

And other larger ones do not have a presence in their buyer's province, but charge tax in their own.
I believe that any seller registered to collect the FEDERAL GST  collects it in every province. @ricarmic  Am I right on that? You have been in mail order for decades.

The difference is that the US states were losing state sales taxes to internet sales (including purchases from overseas sellers) although their residents were required to voluntarily declare their out of state/internet purchases and pay applicable taxes.

Which was not very effective.

Moving responsibility to the venue is giving those states much needed revenue, which they have been owed, but have been unable to collect.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Hi femme!!

Yes if you are registered to collect GST/HST, you have to:
-collect only the GST in all NON HST provinces
-collect HST in all HST provinces

Unlike the "good old days" we don't get any rebate for collecting the HST.

The confusing part is provinces that are non-HST provinces like your own (BC) that have (returned to) having their own provincial separate tax. If you purchase something from BC you have to pay both GST and your provincial tax, if you purchase something from me, you only have to pay the GST and you avoid the provincial tax. This is probably the reason why I have a reasonably high buyer crowd from BC and QC because the buyers can avoid the provincial tax portion by buying from me or anyone outside their own province. I've never spent the time to understand all the reasons, but to accomplish the same thing the US states are doing, if a non-hst province becomes an HST province then both taxes would be being acquired from out of province sellers and international sellers if the item is taxed coming into the country.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

I've never spent the time to understand all the reasons,

The change came under the BC Liberal Party which is a **bleep** child of social credit and neo-conservative politicians.

Making taxes harder to understand and less evenly collected is a good method of making people hate governments and taxes.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I believe it is illegal for a seller to collect tax if they are not registered.

A seller must  give the buyer his GST number if they request it.

If they  can not supply a number they are running a scam.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

What I think I see is Racketeering..

eBay and PayPal... Charging Conversion Fees.. and Not Refunding them

Delaying Refunds for things that are Not Arriving / Not As Described/ Seems like they are Getting "Interest Free Loans"

YES- Now the Internet Tax.. How about a "Free Trade Agreement" that is Benefiting the Consumers at the Lower End of the Spectrum.

It's a FASCIST Industry
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

We are also getting charged "import charges" on some items. Why?

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

We are also getting charged "import charges" on some items. Why?

Both the Global Shipping Program and Canada Post have import charges but they describe them differently.

If you purchase from the USA and the seller ships via USPS/Canada Post, you will be charged applicable duty*, Canadian sales taxes**, and a $9.95 service charge by Canada Post before they hand over the package.

If you purchase from the USA and the seller ships via the Global Shipping Program, you will be charged import fees, which the GSP uses to pay the same duty and  sales taxes and a ~$5US service fee which they keep. You will not pay more when you receive the package.

*On items that are not made in a Free Trade country or to which duty is an exception to the Free Trade Treaty.  

Canada has treaties with some 148 countries including the European Union, Vietnam, Chile, and Mali, as well as the USA and Mexico.
If the item is dutiable at all, the duty-free allowance is $150Cdn.
So if your item was made in India, but purchased in the USA and cost $115US, you will be charged duty.  But the same item which cost you only $100US would not be dutiable.

** Sales taxes are charged on ALL imports , as provincially*** applicable, but the tax-fee allowance is only $40. So on that $100 US item above, you would be paying 5-15% sales taxes depending on your provincial rate.

*** While most provinces do charge sales tax on used goods, some have categories which are not taxable. Here in BC there are no sales taxes on children's shoes, for example.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

ebay is still a great place run by crooked people ,fees on postage ,they charge u to do your own work  is aq joke ,and a fraud  as it is only stealing paying for something they do nothing for 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

ebay is not stealing from you, for the fees they take, they are providing you a platform to sell on..

They are putting your items in front of more people, than you would ever get trying to do it on your own website.. And for that they charge you fees..

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Sometimes  I think the problem is a limitation of the English language.

Early on an anglophone said, "the internet must be free".

If he had been a francophone, he would have said "Il faut que l'internet doit etre libre."

Which is quite different.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply