Found a load of stamps at a goodwill shop

I dont know much about stamps but im sure there's some people here who do.  Send me an email and ill show you the photos of this collection sitting idle at the second hand shop.

Sent from my Ipod Shuffle
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I don't know alot about them either but I know enough that valuable ones are few and far between, similar to records nowadays, most second hand shops have a huge collection........none of them worth anything. If they're cheap enough buy the lot and sift through them with a stamp collector you might get lucky.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

i guess that's why they are in there!

Sent from my Ipod Shuffle
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If they are mint uncancelled stamps with gum on, then they are good for postage when you ship on ebay. If you can get for under 65% of face value, then they are a good deal. Discount postage goes at 65 to 80% of face value.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If they are mint uncancelled stamps with gum on, then they are good for postage when you ship on ebay. If you can get for under 65% of face value, then they are a good deal. Discount postage goes at 65 to 80% of face value.

Sometimes, but you have to watch closely.  I buy these lots at Sheffields stamp auction held near here - but only if I can see the lot first.  Some lots are full of 3, 4 , 5 and 6 cent stamps from 1948 to the 50's or 60's.  These are good for postage, but try getting 60 cents worth on an envelope.  Also, these lots can have sheets of postage due or pre-cancel stamps that cannot be used as postage. 

Most box lots I see are full of pre-cancelled stamps from countries you have never heard of.  They are issued - not for postage - but strictly for unwise collectors.  They are not worth the paper they are printed on. 

Lastly, the lots you find in these places are usually in poor conditon.  I recently saw an album at the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  Lots of mint stamps - but all stuck firmly to the pages.  Nothing old enough to be valuable.  Useable as postage as long as you want to spend the time soaking and drying. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"Discount postage goes at 65 to 80% of face value."

That is a fair price for Canadian postage lots with full original gum.

Often one can find "cheaper" but, there again, you usually get what you pay for. 

Lots offered at 50% below face are often available at public auction.  However, by the time you add the buyer's premium (12%/20%) and shipping, you are looking at about 60% of face value for lots containing a fair amount of low values (4c to 15c). 

For lots containing mostly denominations of $0.30 to $0.50 you should expect to pay a bit more.

Lots containing high demand $1.00 to $10.00 denominations generally sell at about 85%-90% of face value (including buyer's commission and shipping).

Many lots are offered regularly on eBay.  Keep in mind that sellers have to pay high eBay and PayPal fees resulting in somehow less attractive bargains if you are looking for substantial quantity.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply