What happened to ebay.ca?

What happened to ebay.ca? I use to purchase hundreds of items from ebay.ca but now I have pretty much

moved all my purchasing to Amazon. Prices are way too high and a lot of the time I can order direct from the manufacturer

or from a local dealer for less. I have found new OEM motorcycle parts (example) from the dealer than what some sellers are asking for used. And then theres the crazy shipping cost/charges. Purchase mens boots (example) for $80.00 and then shipping cost are $60.00.

Crazy!!

I am not alone with my question. At a recent dinner party ebay.ca was the part of the conversation and all of the people who were part of the discussion had the exact question has myself and all had stopped shopping on ebay.ca.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I stopped using ebay temporary a long time ago due to a move and when I was preparing to return their high fees and paypal only restrictions put a stop to my return to selling here.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

crann13
Community Member

I only buy a fraction of what I used to as well, especially on items under $75 approx., shipping and duties often double the final price of smaller items. I used to buy at least 12-15 items per month, but it's been 1 or less per month for the past couple years.

A few things happened for me:

• Cross-Border shipping rates kept rising in recent years.
  • Ebay started sneaking the "Global Shipping Program" rates into USA sellers' shipping calculators (ask a seller. Most I have asked didn't know what the program was and didn't know they were even using it.)
  • Paypal's exchange rate and associated fees add up to alot when compared against eBay.ca's displayed exchange rate estimates. That final Paypal checkout can be a little shocking sometimes.
  • Then there's just been a slow increase of the quality and quantity of online retailers in Canada, and more US retailers offering transparent and competitive cross-border rates.
  • There never seem to be enough Canadian-based eBay retailers in general, slim pickings.
  • General exchange rate on the CDN dollar keeps dropping lately, compared to the US dollar.

It feels like the shipping companies and eBay/Paypal have strangled the previous USA-CAN boom in sales/shipping with increasingly greedy policies.

I predict very few eBay purchases for myself in the near future.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Canada Post is killing Canadian sellers with exorbitant rates and constant increases I needed to insure a delivery in Canada and it cost me $20.20 express and I had to buy private insurance as Canada Post has way too many exclusions and charge $2.20/100 where shipsurance only charges $1.25 within Canada and $1.50 if going outside of Canada. CP is going to kill much of the internet business in Canada and they don't care..

Message 4 of 4
latest reply