Canadian Tax on Precious metal, gold, silver, platinium, Bullion and coins.

Hello, Sorry for my English. Ebay announces that they will nicely collect sales taxes in Canada to relieve sellers of this burden. HAHAHA, Already when you make a purchase, the global delivery program is a real failure. No shipping combination available and taxes are charged no matter what the purchase is. Some items are not taxable and some partially taxable but their programs charge 100% tax each time. Do they stupidly return them to the government or recalculate in background and keep the overpayment back. Amazon returns them to the consumer but I have never seen Ebay refund me.

So I asked Ebay (4 times) if there was a way for Ebay to do a better job and respect the law on tax collection correctly for Canada (Bullion, precious metals) are excluded from all taxes here. 4 times, ebay returned to the Government of Canada. How are we Coin and Bullion sellers going to deal with this? I would like to see Ebay resolve this issue before July 1st but they don't seem to be interested in doing so.

To be continued....

In the meantime, your buyers can apply to the Canadian government for a refund of overpaid taxes.

Julien

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Canadian Tax on Precious metal, gold, silver, platinium, Bullion and coins.

@reallynicestamps 

I think it's considered an investment rather than a commodity. Therefore it would be taxed as capital gains rather than having sales taxes applied.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

reallynicestamps: Beacuse Platinum, Gold, and Silver are considred money.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Update: I got contacted on July 25th by eBay executive team regarding my complaint letter and they asked me to provide screenshots, I did sent them 3 examples.
So hopefully they will do something regarding this.
I will keep you updated.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

I think they collect millions of illegal taxes on Canadian buyers and sellers. No tax on pure gold silver and anything under $20 maybe we need a class action law suit? I'm sure many would join and Ebay would stop.
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
If I had a dollar for all the times I’ve read the words “class action lawsuit” on the eBay discussion boards, I’d be able to take a very nice vacation abroad.
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Haha!

I won't even reply to the "anything under $20.00" rant... 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

But they aren't. And their value is very changeable.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/gold

Message 27 of 27
latest reply