How to complete the quarterly GST/HST return now that ebay is collecting Canadain Sales tax?

Ebay started collecting sales tax on Canadian sales on July 1/22 - ie Q3/22.

I am a registered business located in Canada.

Until now I have been filing quarterly sales tax returns with Revenue Canada.   There are two main parts to the GST/HST return.

1.    Those returns record the GST I have spent on business activities - (inventory for resale, etc).     This GST I am entitled to have returned to me.

And

2.   The GST return also records the GST/HST I have collected on sales.      This is the GST I owe to Revenue Canada.  

1 is subtracted from 2.    

If the result is positive I send that amount to Revenue Canada.

If the result is negative Revenue Canada sends me that amount as a refund.

My question is this.

When Ebay collects the sales tax, I havn't recieved anything during the quarter.    Sales tax has been paid on items I've sold, but that money is not in my possession.

The GST/HST sales tax form requires I enter the total GST / HST for the period (ie collected).   As far as I can tell, there is no way to indicate that this money is not in my possession (ie it was collected by ebay and is held by ebay).     If I put the actual amount of sales tax paid (collected by ebay), then I loose out on money that should be refunded to me.    If I enter zero dollars as the GST/HST for the period (which is how much I have recieved at my end), then I will get the correct refund, but I will have entered an incorrect GST / HST sales tax number.

All business sellers are going to experience this problem with their Q3/22 Canadian sales tax return.

What is the solution?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

How to complete the quarterly GST/HST return now that ebay is collecting Canadain Sales tax?

phc64
Community Member

I entered '0' on line 105 of my return. This line is for GST/HST collected by the GST/HST registrantThe GST/HST on our sales was collected by eBay.

The last time I completed a GST/HST return that resulted in a refund being owed to me was almost thirty years ago. I'm wondering how the CRA is going to be paying out all those refunds to eBay sellers now.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

phc64
Community Member

I got the answer to my own question yesterday. I completed my GST/HST return on October 9 (entering '0' on Line 105) and received my refund cheque in the mail yesterday.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply