Revenu Quebec Asking for Proof of GST/PST remittance on our behalf

Hi there everyone,

We filled out the Revenu Quebec form assigning Ebay as our agent to collect sales tax in Canada back in 2022. Revenu Quebec is asking for proof that Ebay is indeed remitting on our behalf. RQ has comfirmed that our agreement is good, but they still want proof that remittances are being made. I don't even know where to start since I'm sure that calling their support will be absolutely useless. 

TIA

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

devon@ebay 

Perhaps this could be posted for everyone to see since tax time is coming up.

Even a link to the appropriate part of the eBay Annual Report to Shareholders might have it.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@peachfuzz*0 wrote:

Hi there everyone,

We filled out the Revenu Quebec form assigning Ebay as our agent to collect sales tax in Canada back in 2022. Revenu Quebec is asking for proof that Ebay is indeed remitting on our behalf. RQ has comfirmed that our agreement is good, but they still want proof that remittances are being made. I don't even know where to start since I'm sure that calling their support will be absolutely useless. 

TIA

This isn't advice, but I'd be very tempted to give them every order receipt. At the bottom of each one, it specifically says "Sales tax (eBay collected)" and has a note below it that says "**Order total includes eBay-collected tax. eBay collects and remits the tax to the tax authorities in accordance with applicable state law."

IMO it shouldn't be your responsibility to prove that eBay is actually doing it, because I don't think you have the ability to get access to the records that would possibly show that. You should only have to prove that they are collecting it on your behalf and are not giving it to you to remit. Of course, that would make too much sense, so...

Screenshot 2024-02-09 134646.jpg

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Oh, my bad. eBay only includes that note on the sales receipts for orders to the States, not on Canadian orders.  Where's that Picard head slap gif when you need it? 🙄

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

No, it's on sales to Canadian buyers as well.

I don't know how to do screenshots but this was a sale to New Brunswick this past week.

This was taken from dotCA. It is possible you were looking at a Canadian sale on dotCOM. @flipistics ?

What your buyer paid

Item subtotal
US $81.00
Shipping
US $0.00
GST/HST*
US $12.15

Order total**
US $93.15

What you earned

Order total
US $93.15
eBay collected from buyer
GST/HST
-US $12.15
Selling costs

*eBay collected from buyer
**eBay collects GST/HST/PST/QST on behalf of sellers. Learn moreopens in a new window or tab

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

No, it's on sales to Canadian buyers as well.

I don't know how to do screenshots but this was a sale to New Brunswick this past week.

This was taken from dotCA. It is possible you were looking at a Canadian sale on dotCOM. @flipistics ?

No, it was dotCA.  I checked all three of my stores and none of them show it for Canadian orders, but they do show it for USA orders.  I list in CAD though, so maybe it's something to do with that? 

So many weird bugs ...

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If only the Revenu Quebec agent (who's very nice BTW) was more understanding. I did say Ebay has very detailed reports about what they collect, but they are insistant to show that they are actually remitting on our behalf. I don't even know where to start asking for such proof!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@peachfuzz*0 wrote:

If only the Revenu Quebec agent (who's very nice BTW) was more understanding. I did say Ebay has very detailed reports about what they collect, but they are insistant to show that they are actually remitting on our behalf. I don't even know where to start asking for such proof!

I'd probably just ask for a supervisor. I don't think it's possible for you to get such proof unless your invoices show it.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

devon@ebay 

Perhaps this could be posted for everyone to see since tax time is coming up.

Even a link to the appropriate part of the eBay Annual Report to Shareholders might have it.

Hi @reallynicestamps! I do like this idea and let me see if I can get something together to have posted.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply