this will stop sellers from listing knowing that you collect tax on USED items , I will not sell !!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

this will stop sellers from listing knowing that you collect tax on USED items , I will not sell !!

Totally agree. Per to per transactions of personal goods are NOT taxable. This is a fraud of this corrupted Justin Trudeau abusive government with collaboration of eBay.

Au revoir
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

If the seller uses a “marketplace facilitator” such as eBay for the sale, it is not a “person to person” sale.
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

shaval40
Community Member
Complete idiocy. Done w Ebay june 30.
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

sorry to burst your bubble but the sky is NOT falling!...this is not the end of the world!

What part of this taxation process do you not understand?

3 years ago, more than half of  the USA states jumped aboard the "internet taxation" ... and now more than 40 states participate in it(45 to be exact plus the District of Columbia)....

USA sellers in the USA responded exactly the same way! Thought this was the end of the world for them!

This is a tax applied to the BUYER's purchase...It is the buyers that are paying the tax...

When the dust settled over the USA's "internet taxation process"...sellers went back to selling and buyers went back to buying..

This isn't just applicable to eBay...this taxation  process will be required by all the large marketplace facilitators, just the same as the USA's "internet taxation" isn't unique to eBay...

Accept,adjust,adapt and carry on!

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

OK, bye!

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

...and for all the Marketplace, babies!

News for ya, my BIL is a CRA investigator, Marketplace transactions are also in the "eye line" of the TAX man.

If you sell it, used or not it will be taxed.

And this is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

It will just clean out the inventory of "iffy" Members

It helps pay for your FREE Health Care System

It helps pay for your OAP

It helps pay for your Childcare Tax money!

....and soon it will help pay for your BASIC INCOME, the only income some may have by the time this Great Re-Set is done and dusted...

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Are you a peer-to-peer seller? Here’s what you need to know

April 30, 2021

Ottawa, Ontario

Canada Revenue Agency

What is a peer-to-peer sale?

A peer-to-peer (P2P) sale is the selling of goods or services from one person or party directly to another. You may be involved in P2P selling if you are connecting with buyers through online platforms like websites, online marketplaces or mobile applications (such as Etsy, eBay, Amazon or Kijiji).

Income tax implications

As a resident of Canada, you have to report your income from all sources inside and outside of the country, including P2P transactions, on your tax return. If you paid tax on foreign income, you could be eligible for a tax credit.

It is important to maintain proper financial records of all your sales and expenses. This applies to the sales you make to buyers in Canada and other countries. Keep records of all your purchases to claim eligible expenses on your return.

GST/HST implications

You may have a reasonable expectation of profit from your online activities, and your total taxable supply may be valued at more than $30,000 over four calendar quarters. If so, you will need to register for, collect and pay to the Canada Revenue Agency the goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) for taxable supplies of goods and services that you made inside and outside Canada. You can get more details on GST/HST registration requirements at: Find out if you must register for a GST/HST account.

How to correct your tax affairs

If you did not report your income from P2P selling, you may have to pay tax, penalties and interest on that income. You can avoid or reduce penalties and interest by voluntarily correcting your tax affairs. To correct your tax affairs (including corrections to GST/HST returns) and to report income that you did not report in previous years, you may:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/news/newsroom/tax-tips/tax-tips-2021/are-you-peer-to-peer-se...

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

peer-to-peer sales are taxable even on eBay, you are incorrect in your advice.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@brettjet38 wrote:

peer-to-peer sales are taxable even on eBay, you are incorrect in your advice.

I was just suggesting that once you involve a third party that handles some of the transaction (particularly the payment) into the mix, it's no longer a "person to person" sale.  I wasn't implying anything from a taxation perspective.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I bet you can't wait for them to start charging tax on your yard/garage sales too as it is the same thing. What I sell is from my own collection that I already paid tax on.
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

How sellers can defend this update is mindblowing

We'll have to pay taxes on our purchases, buyers will have to pay taxes on our sales so they will be willing to pay less on price, we'll have to pay fees on buyers taxes, and we'll have to pay more taxes on fees because of higher fees

This is huge

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

no huger than the USA "internet tax" that our USA buyers are paying and on which the sellers are paying the fees ... and no huger than VAT that European buyers pay....

This "mole hill" is being made into a " mountain" by those who choose to make it so...

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

As for the European market I don't know how many times they have asked me to not put the full amount as they pay tax on it. I tell them on the custom paperwork it fills that in automatically. So they are not happy with paying the tax either on used items. I would be ok on new items but it is not right on used items I already paid tax on.
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

as many of us who have been shopping at second hand stores, the Valu Villages, purchased used vehicles, etc. for many years, paying tax on used goods is a thing we are very familiar with and have accepted, adapted to and continue as per our shopping habits.

and there it is:  accept, adapt, adjust and carry on OR stop selling= and that is YOUR choice...

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

paying tax on used goods is a thing we are very familiar with and have accepted, adapted to and continue as per our shopping habits

Well it's because we accept it that we're getting exploited like slaves. To me it's not just this update it's everything 

We've been cut from unlimited insertions to 250 per month, being forced to pay $25/month for a store to list, raised fees 12.35% to 12.90%, getting charged 20% surcharge fuel by canada post. Where's the limits? Now i'll have to pay 15% taxes on my purchases because i'm QC and pay maybe an additional 5% fees on my sales while having to sell at lower prices

Too much is too much. I'm selling on ebay for only one year and considering to stop at this point. It's unnaceptable conditions. I really feel like they are trying to make the small sellers fall

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Listing on eBay or ANY selling venue is a choice and when we do so we are agreeing to ALL terms of use, rules & policies, fees,etc.  By Accepting all those terms of use that also means accepting any and all updates, ammendments, changes,etc.etc.  IF anyone cannot accept those terms of use, rules & policies,fees,etc. therein lies the choice to use the site or not. There is NO perfect site. Other sites many have more or less as many issues/problems- some of those other selling sites out there will also be required to comply with this taxation process. Sure there are other sites out there and available for anyone who chooses to use them....they are what they are and you get what you "pay" for...

good luck with whatever you choose for your online selling going forward...

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Apples & Oranges: you are mixing the fees you pay as a seller with the taxes buyers must pay.  2 totally different subjects...

If you buy from a commercial entreprise, then paying taxes is the legit way in Canada.  Doesn't matter if it's new or used...  And it's been like that for decades!

Goodwill (or equivalent stores) are non-profits, so there is no sales tax on these purchases.  Value Village is a for-profit, so you pay taxes.

I don't think you really know what a slave is, if you have the choice to buy or sell as you have right now.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Apples & Oranges: you are mixing the fees you pay as a seller with the taxes buyers must pay

I'm not mixing things. It is corrolated because we have to pay fees on taxes

If we're doing a $100 sale we have fees on $100. If we're doing a $100 sale + $10 taxes, we have fees on $110

Taxes collected to buyers means higher fees to sellers

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

If this taxation process is a deal breaker for you, then perhaps selling on eBay or selling on ANY large selling site is not for you...

Message 20 of 26
latest reply