Failure to calculate shipping to USA or International is BACK

Further to the recent claims by ebay of their fix of the failure to calculate shipping for anywhere other than Canada, for items listed on ebay.ca.

This problem has reappeared.

Last night (March 1, 2018) I sold item 292379847644

This item uses calculated shipping (in metric)

Ebay.ca shows correct shipping to Canada (CP expedited mail and Xpresspost)

Ebay shows no shipping to USA or International.

The US option I have is Canadapost Expedited mail.

The International options are CP Xpresspost and CP Air Parcel

The Worldwide option is selected for international

(FYI, everything is set correctly)

The Ebay invoice for this item (remember it was purchased last night by a buyer in China), shows no shipping fee (ie a shipping fee of zero) - and NO, this item DOES NOT HAVE FREE SHIPPING.

I phoned ebay, and was told that a fix was rolled out a few days ago, but over the last 3 days they have received multiple reports of this problem reoccurring.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Failure to calculate shipping to USA or International is BACK

@bright_future15 wrote:

I've been struggling with this for awhile now.  Sales have been slow and I it is possible that this issue may be a cause.  Looking into it I have found the following.  If you have a listing and are offering a shipping service and have clicked worldwide or North and South America (why those tow are considered similar is a confusing) but he service does not ship to the USA or other location you will get an error.

Example

Item A weights 240 grams and it's dimensions are 25x15x10 cm

USA must be chosen separately and the services must ship to the USA.  

Small Packet USA

Expedited USA

Xpresspost USA

When choosing other locations; you must also choose individually and not choose worldwide or N & S America.  If you do so it will send up an error when a buyer from the USA looks at the shipping cost.  This is because small packet international (eg.) does not go to the USA.

Hope this helps.

I just tested your theory.

You are correct when you say that assigning a shipping service to "Worldwide" results in the bold red error message.

Choosing instead a specific country or countries rather than worldwide does not result in an error message.

Now, does the presence of that bold red error message cause some buyers to shop elsewhere? Hard to say one way or the other but it sure would be nice if this problem could be eliminated. 

The correct shipping charges are still being displayed despite the error so it doesn't seem like much has changed since the "fix".

I don't really see a good way of avoiding the error message since there are only a handful of countries that can be chosen individually. So, it's either:

- ship worldwide with the customary exclusions and live with the error message or

- limit shipping to the US, U.K., Germany , France, Japan, China and Australia.

Am I missing something here? Is there some other way of choosing a more extensive list of individual countries you WILL ship to?

Fortunately, I've no everyday need or desire to use the calculated combined shipping function. Must be very frustrating for those who do if the darn thing doesn't work. 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Re: Failure to calculate shipping to USA or International is BACK

1.  I think this has caused me some issues in the past preventing buyers from purchasing.  I have had buyers tell me when getting to the pay screen that it states I do not ship to their location.  Having any opportunity to speak to the buyers it seems to impact both the app and desktop.

2.  In the past I shipped to a lot of places in the world.  Now the list is much smaller with only reliable countries to ship to without tracking.  No one is paying me $40.00 to ship $20.00 items overseas,  I do not ship to South America, Mexico, Africa, most spots in Asia, Russia, UK,  Italy, Greece and some eastern block countries.    As much as I would like to ship worldwide it has proven to be costly and bad for my account status.  Shipping is just too much tracked from Canada for a buyer to cough it up.  So having an expanded list to pinpoint countries would be helpful but it has been this long and they still include North and South America in the same tab.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

If you have a cookie cutter product that is all small then a flat rate can work.  But it doesn't work for a varied inventory and larger items.  Also even in Canada I am located in BC and to ship to the east cost is vastly different from shipping within the province.  The final nail in the coffin for free shipping is if a buyer decides to return an item because they don't want it; you have to refund the original shipping.  Unfortunately I am just a small business and not the Gap.

The combined shipping is now my issue as I think I have been able to fix the other problem.  Just annoying, costly and time consuming to have to deal with buyers that can't go ahead with purchases.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply