Using Sell Similar to sell items Dot com discussion Oct 20, 2023

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/quot-Sell-Similar-quot-Button-Missing/td-p/34055014

Unsure how many sellers use Sell Similar for creating listings but in reviewing this discussion the option  appears to be missing when you attempt to use with PC version. In testing some random listings I am seeing the following.  (Not only in automotive as per the discussion.)

PC:

lotzofuniquegoodies_2-1698342992976.png

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1698342862763.png

App view from post:

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1698342939320.png

As noted in the discussion the option is still there for using your own listings. Anyone else seeing similar within active listing results? Response from Devon post 8 that no modifications have been made to "Sell Similar". Rough workaround in post 46.  Quicker solution in post 47. 

There is/was an open ticket on the issue approx. Oct 11, 2023 as per a different discussion on the topic.

-Lotz

As a side, my reason for posting these types of concerns is the neverending regular removal of features sellers have used forever.....with little in the way of a headsup. Difficult to know for certain which is a glitch or permanent. 

-Lotz

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

On both my pc and iPad the sell similar or 'sell it yourself' link shows under the picture when you open the listing.  It's been there for a while now but they have removed it from at least some of the categories on ebay motors. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

On both my pc and iPad the sell similar or 'sell it yourself' link shows under the picture when you open the listing.  It's been there for a while now but they have removed it from at least some of the categories on ebay motors. 

Possibly for yours. I am not able to view/access on multiple listings in a variety of categories. I ONLY use a pc for creating listings. Did you review the discussion post that was attached or sample comparison screenshots? The concern is standard relied on features being automagically removed from the PC version of the eBay listing tool with no going back.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Yes I saw that discussion. 

That's so odd as I see it on Safari and FF.  But it is true though that not everyone sees the same view of a page.

Here is a screenshot of what I see.   I forgot to post it earlier.

IMG_0263.jpeg

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

When I look at your listing for Hershel Wallet on chrome it is missing 

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1698348385644.png

Possibly browser related?!?  As noted previously there is a service ticket but it is not included on the dot com Technical issues discussion board.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/Current-and-resolved-technical-issues-upd...

-Lotz

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

That's a listing originating on .com.  If you check it on .com you might see the 'sell now'.  Do you see it when you look at any of my coin listings on .ca?   @ricarmic posts on both sites as well. The following listing was listed on .com. When I look at his listing on  on .ca I do not see the sell it yourself link.   

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/386228100263?hash=item59ecfd1ca7:g:Y9IAAOSwcs1lOWfG&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwP2...

When I look at it on .com I do see it.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386228100263?hash=item59ecfd1ca7:g:Y9IAAOSwcs1lOWfG

Do you see it on chrome when looking at it on .com?

When .ca sellers click on sell similar on a .com listing they get taken to .com to list so perhaps this is ebay's way of stopping that from happening??    I'm not saying that it is good way to stop it, just guessing that it could be why not all listings are showing that link.  I didn't see a post about a ticket being opened but sometimes a ticket is opened and then we find out later that the 'glitch' was intentional.

Whatever the reason, it is definitely frustrating when things keep changing.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That's a listing originating on .com.  If you check it on .com you might see the 'sell now'.  Do you see it when you look at any of my coin listings on .ca?   @ricarmic posts on both sites as well. The following listing was listed on .com. When I look at his listing on  on .ca I do not see the sell it yourself link.   

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/386228100263?hash=item59ecfd1ca7:g:Y9IAAOSwcs1lOWfG&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwP2...

When I look at it on .com I do see it.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386228100263?hash=item59ecfd1ca7:g:Y9IAAOSwcs1lOWfG

Do you see it on chrome when looking at it on .com?

When .ca sellers click on sell similar on a .com listing they get taken to .com to list so perhaps this is ebay's way of stopping that from happening??    I'm not saying that it is good way to stop it, just guessing that it could be why not all listings are showing that link.  I didn't see a post about a ticket being opened but sometimes a ticket is opened and then we find out later that the 'glitch' was intentional.

Whatever the reason, it is definitely frustrating when things keep changing.

@pjcdn2005 

I tested several of the examples in the US discussion using dot com and that info was missing in Chrome. In several of those posts they they thought it was only missing in Automotive but found it the same in Jewelry and Sporting Goods. Another "conclusion" it was done so sellers would not use another sellers listing verbatim. That would be comparative to using a UPC/ISBN and doing a hard stop with additional info where there were subtle differences in what was being listed. Recently, with recent researching seeing lots of listings that appear to have been created using that method.   Might work great for NIB/mint. Not so good for NOS.

As a totally side discussion why the concept of AI generating listings is just as dangerous. Maybe those listings NEED a disclaimer stating that they were created by AI and to purchase with a large case of salt. Garbage in...garbage out!!!

Regarding features that work 1 way with app and a different way with a browser (as an example) it's similar to how watchers show up when you check a dot com created listing (you can see by viewing yours) but check that same listing on ca  that information MIA. (Watchers display on ca when you view list but not inside the actual listing.) Makes it difficult to use/trust eBay when you get different results depending on how you use. eBay Canada...Batteries not included.

-Lotz

A ticket was mentioned in a secondary discussion on the same issue.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I do not concern myself with ANYTHING on .COM...I list on.CA and only concern myself with what is on .CA.

I am able to use "Sell Similar" just fine here on .CA....and THAT is all that matters to me...

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I looked a an item on my Watch List.

It was originally listed on dotCOM. The Sell Similar appears there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305020063262

When I look at it on dotCA there is no Sell Similar

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/305020063262

This is on a desktop using Firefox.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I do not concern myself with ANYTHING on .COM...I list on.CA and only concern myself with what is on .CA.

I am able to use "Sell Similar" just fine here on .CA....and THAT is all that matters to me...

The point I was making was for sellers who used "Sell Similar" using other sellers listings. Maybe  there are sellers out there that do that as a matter of routine.

Often when eBay dot com makes a change it can have unintended consequences for other sites (Including Canada). Same thing has been known to happen when a change is made on dot com, then that change is rolled out on ca with ZERO testings. Clicking on a ca link that brings you to a dot com page. eBay USA and eBay Canada are intertwined whether we want to admit it or not. 

A good example of this recently where Canadian sellers were having issues creating postage. There were numerous discussions on the ca site about it but no direct follow up from anywhere. The solution that worked for some was using bulk labels. Unfortunately this didn't work for everyone. There were many sellers who had to purchase labels via Snap ship or at their local postal outlet....At a loss. In doing some digging, this was also an issue (In the same timeframe) on dot com. It probably only got resolved because of the posts on com.

If eBay Canada sellers/buyers don't point out any issues that are affecting them, nothing here will ever get fixed. We shouldn't be constantly looking for workarounds. It is what it is, ISN"T a solution.

eBay USA - Needs minor repairs

lotzofuniquegoodies_1-1698426101928.jpeg

Ebay Canada - Needs some major repairs

lotzofuniquegoodies_5-1698426496204.jpeg

-Lotz

Message 10 of 10
latest reply