January 15 2020 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat up for your questions. I'll be answering them tomorrow afternoon. 

See you then!
Tyler

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: January 15 2020 Weekly Session

This has been a long time issue and still not working properly. When trying to list an auto part, the compatibility list does not load so we can choose all the different vehicles a part fits. It is hit and miss with chrome, explorer and firefox.

PLEASE FIX THIS SO WE CAN LIST MORE ITEMS! Thanks.... 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Hello Tyler,

Is there any way that eBay can officially address the long running defect in eBay's information posted on listings involving international transit when checking projected delivery times and how customs can affect that transit time? (~~~The old cause and effect scenario~~~) . Once it's in customs grubby hands a seller has no control of how long clearing delays can or will be. It could be a unique item, customs backlogs or machinery breakdowns that could cause delays. A buyer needs to know that these are all possible influencing factors. Even more so now with items that DON'T include tracking. This is information buyers routinely would look for especially with any cross border/Intl. shopping they may be doing.

eBay

Estimated delivery dates include seller's handling time, origin postal code, destination postal code and time of acceptance and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of cleared payment Delivery times may vary(very weak), especially during peak periods.

Estimated delivery date

The estimated delivery date is based on the seller's handling time, the shipping service selected, and when the seller receives cleared payment. In certain cases, the estimated delivery date will vary. By knowing the estimated delivery date, you can determine how long it will take to receive your item.

Handling time

Sellers are required to specify how long they will take to package and ship the item after receiving cleared payment. Sellers may select a handling time between same business day and 30 business days.

Shipping services

Some shipping services provide an estimate for the number of days that it will take the carrier to deliver the item to the buyer. This transit time does not include the seller's handling time. Transit time includes normal weekdays. Often Saturdays, Sundays, and major holidays are not included in transit time estimates. (Again some sort of customs reference is omitted.) 

Cleared payment

A payment is considered "cleared" after your payment has been deposited into the seller's account. If you pay using PayPal, the payment may clear immediately. However if you pay by cheque, money order, or eCheque, your payment may take several days to clear.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

In a follow up to last week's question on Ebay's removal of custom pages, how does Ebay suggest we deal with dynamic contant on existing listings? For example I used the custom pages to identify tax rates across the country so that there clarity to the buyer (since Ebay burries the information in places that no one ever looks).  If a tax rate changes in a province (or any other dynamic information I choses to include in na listing) is Ebay's expextation to then have the sellers to modify 500+ listings?. Why not offer ability to dynamically change content of existing listings in bulk? 

Second question, As you know in Canada we are forced to use regular shipping for lower value items due to prohibitive cost. This has led to escalating loses year over year by buyers opening cases for non receipt. I understand the concept of self insuring and thats fine. Every time someone claims a loss, I open a buyer complaint to make sure thne practise is not cronic for that account. That's my part. But what is Ebay doing to combat this frequent practise? Why not have a specific category to log those complaints so that buyers are restricted to how many non receipt cases they can open for non receipt of goods?...Why not put the burden on the buyer to make a choice cheap vs expensive shipping?...Tracked you're covered, cheap by choice is at the buer's risk? 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

How does ebay address trade mark violations in name. For example my corporate name is trademarked across Canada. There is a Canadian user account with close to identical name. Does ebay acknowledge and honor trademarks or is this a plrivate matter? 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Curuous as to why Ebay lost it's shipping discounts with Canada Post and is it working to have them re-instated....

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

Curuous as to why Ebay lost it's shipping discounts with Canada Post and is it working to have them re-instated....

I’m curious about that too.  The CP level 1 discount is often just  a few cents off.  That’s not even a carrot...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

The last couple of months I’ve sold a number of things that showed a delivery estimate on a weekend or on a holiday such as January 1. Those are not business days so why is ebay counting them as such?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

This has been a long time issue and still not working properly. When trying to list an auto part, the compatibility list does not load so we can choose all the different vehicles a part fits. It is hit and miss with chrome, explorer and firefox.

PLEASE FIX THIS SO WE CAN LIST MORE ITEMS! Thanks.... 

Hi @reallynicestamps - that's definitely frustrating. Would you mind getting me some examples of this so I can work on getting it reported? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Is there any way that eBay can officially address the long running defect in eBay's information posted on listings involving international transit when checking projected delivery times and how customs can affect that transit time? (~~~The old cause and effect scenario~~~) . Once it's in customs grubby hands a seller has no control of how long clearing delays can or will be. It could be a unique item, customs backlogs or machinery breakdowns that could cause delays. A buyer needs to know that these are all possible influencing factors. Even more so now with items that DON'T include tracking. This is information buyers routinely would look for especially with any cross border/Intl. shopping they may be doing.

eBay

Estimated delivery dates include seller's handling time, origin postal code, destination postal code and time of acceptance and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of cleared payment Delivery times may vary(very weak), especially during peak periods.

Estimated delivery date

The estimated delivery date is based on the seller's handling time, the shipping service selected, and when the seller receives cleared payment. In certain cases, the estimated delivery date will vary. By knowing the estimated delivery date, you can determine how long it will take to receive your item.

Handling time

Sellers are required to specify how long they will take to package and ship the item after receiving cleared payment. Sellers may select a handling time between same business day and 30 business days.

Shipping services

Some shipping services provide an estimate for the number of days that it will take the carrier to deliver the item to the buyer. This transit time does not include the seller's handling time. Transit time includes normal weekdays. Often Saturdays, Sundays, and major holidays are not included in transit time estimates. (Again some sort of customs reference is omitted.) 

Cleared payment

A payment is considered "cleared" after your payment has been deposited into the seller's account. If you pay using PayPal, the payment may clear immediately. However if you pay by cheque, money order, or eCheque, your payment may take several days to clear.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies - there's always a delicate line for us between 'educating buyers on potential delays/risks' and 'painting a picture so bleak that they give up on wanting to buy'. The decision to rest on 'Delivery times may vary' was the best way to indicate there may be potential disruptions without also giving a laundry list of worst-case scenarios. 

I'm happy to submit your recommendation for stronger or more descriptive wording if you'll let me know what you think will be more effective, though I can make you no promises it would be adopted. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Any Customs processing may affect transit times.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

In a follow up to last week's question on Ebay's removal of custom pages, how does Ebay suggest we deal with dynamic contant on existing listings? For example I used the custom pages to identify tax rates across the country so that there clarity to the buyer (since Ebay burries the information in places that no one ever looks).  If a tax rate changes in a province (or any other dynamic information I choses to include in na listing) is Ebay's expextation to then have the sellers to modify 500+ listings?. Why not offer ability to dynamically change content of existing listings in bulk? 

Second question, As you know in Canada we are forced to use regular shipping for lower value items due to prohibitive cost. This has led to escalating loses year over year by buyers opening cases for non receipt. I understand the concept of self insuring and thats fine. Every time someone claims a loss, I open a buyer complaint to make sure thne practise is not cronic for that account. That's my part. But what is Ebay doing to combat this frequent practise? Why not have a specific category to log those complaints so that buyers are restricted to how many non receipt cases they can open for non receipt of goods?...Why not put the burden on the buyer to make a choice cheap vs expensive shipping?...Tracked you're covered, cheap by choice is at the buer's risk? 

Hi @thecoinhunterca - we don't recommend that you use dynamic data or other complex HTML in your listing descriptions. This can increase load times for members, or render poorly on mobile, which can lead to customers abandoning your items or not reviewing them further. 

In your specific example, you could consider using the Sales Tax tables in the site preferences section to keep up to date information on your listings. If you prefer to keep a chart or reference within your item description then that would be something you'd look at needing to change or update manually. While you can make certain edits in bulk using the Bulk Editor, the 'find and replace' function can be hit or miss, so it's not something I would say to rely on exclusively. 

As to your shipping question - we track the rate of opened Item not Received requests from buyers, as well as your reports on buyers. We take action on accounts we see that have a high possibility of abuse. While those consequences won't always be visible or reported to you, it is something that we take seriously. 

However, I do want to clarify that we consider you accountable for the delivery of the item, regardless of what shipping service the buyer chooses. In this situation, tracking is for your protection, not theirs. I definitely understand that a tracked service doesn't make fiscal sense for lower cost items, and choosing to not send items tracked is absolutely your prerogative. As you've mentioned, self-insurance is a great way to protect yourself on these types of items, but currently there is no plan to change the way we look at untracked items from an eBay Money Back Guarantee handling. Thanks!  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week! I've closed the chat from further replies but will continue to address more questions as I work through them. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

How does ebay address trade mark violations in name. For example my corporate name is trademarked across Canada. There is a Canadian user account with close to identical name. Does ebay acknowledge and honor trademarks or is this a plrivate matter? 

Hi @thecoinhunterca - we definitely respect trademarks and claims of infringement. While you're welcome to contact the member privately, if you want us to get involved the best thing to do would be to register with our Verified Rights Owner policy (VeRO). 

You can read more about that here. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

I’m curious about that too.  The CP level 1 discount is often just  a few cents off.  That’s not even a carrot...

Hi @pjcdn2005 & @thecoinhunterca - I'm not aware of any changes to shipping prices, but I'll check with the shipping team and let you know their response!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

The last couple of months I’ve sold a number of things that showed a delivery estimate on a weekend or on a holiday such as January 1. Those are not business days so why is ebay counting them as such?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - while there are a few couriers and services that deliver on weekends and holidays, I'd imagine you weren't using those as your primary shippers on listings. 

Will you tag me to a thread with a bit more detail? Specifically I'm looking for if you're seeing this in Seller Hub or within the Order Details too. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@thecoinhunterca wrote:

Hi @pjcdn2005 & @thecoinhunterca - I'm not aware of any changes to shipping prices, but I'll check with the shipping team and let you know their response!

Hi @pjcdn2005 & @thecoinhunterca - I've heard back on this!

While the discounts were removed in 2018, we work regularly to review and arrange discounts where possible.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 17
latest reply