Am I being scammed? How would you deal with this? Advice please.

Hi -  Just wondering how I should deal with the following situation.

A buyer purchased an item a week ago and I shipped it in a bubble envelope as I have been doing for the past 12 years.  Today I receive a message stating the item was damaged and can I send them another copy.  Since I don't have another copy to send them, should I just refund?

The thing that makes me suspicious about the situation Is that the buyer emailed me shortly after buying it saying the following-

"Please send it to me very well packaged so that I don’t get it broken in any way possible."  I sent it as I mentioned above in a bubble envelope.  Never had any arrive broken in 12 years, this is the first one.  The buyer also has no feedback as they joined ebay the same day they purchased the item.

Now maybe I am being overly suspicious, but it just seems a bit odd how events have unfolded.  What would you do?  The item was not valuable and shipping was only a few dollars.  I figure I'd loose about $7 if I just refund.  Should I wait till they open a case?  I wonder if this new member plans on doing this to other sellers?

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.  slight_smile

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Am I being scammed? How would you deal with this? Advice please.

@forester_studios

Could they not still leave a negative even if I refund them?

To eBay a negative feedback is irrelevant. FB is not a measure for your selling account.

FB can be read by future buyers, so we do try to avoid negs. We can Respond to any feedback, indefinitely, and  Responses do not have to be positive. "Refused to return for full refund." would be an appropriate Response to a neg.

If you refuse Refunds, that is a Defect and does count against you.

BUT you are entitled to demand a return before refunding, and given that this smells like a scam (for $7-- sheesh what a cheapskate) I'd encourage you to make the demand.

If he is in the US, you can use Shippo to send a USPS return shipping label. If he doesn't use it, eventually it will be returned.

I wonder if the switch to his alternate ID is an attempt to hide his scam from eBay, which can read Messages about a transaction.

If you respond (and the response should be "return for refund") make sure it is in the original (buyer) thread and that you cut and paste his alternate ID message into that thread.

I'd also Block the ID that has not purchased from you immediately.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Definitely smell like a scam! How you deal with it depends on how much time you're willing to waste on it and the associated stress. I agree that in terms of principle you shouldn't cave, but for $7+shipping, is it worth the extra stress? Block this buyer for sure. Who the heck would throw out something they're trying to get compensation for?

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

I have had a couple of similar situations.

Message buyer to open Item Not As Described request, tell them this is a procedure and this would help you refund quickly and easily. As soon as you see that case is open phone ebay.

Buyer is supposed to keep damaged item so seller can get it back.

I am sure ebay will side you and will close case in your favour.

Good luck!

Message 23 of 23
latest reply