Any Canadian sellers using ShipSurance?

i would like to try it but am wondering what the experience, if any, has been.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Been using ShipSurance.(Insure Post if you are not on contract) for years and have never had a problem. They do not ship to all countries and do not insure everything but neither does CP. I use them a lot for single shipments. They have a limit of $1000.00 if I remember correctly

They are also much cheaper than CP unless you use a CP product with $100.00 included as long as CP will insure it.  If you are using a CP product that is non insurable with CP, use insurepost and increase the insured value by $100.00 so the full amount is insured

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

They do not ship to all countries and do not insure everything but neither does CP.

I've seen posters use this list as a Blocked Destinations list, on the basis that the company has real world experience with problem countries.

Personally, we use Hugh Wood Insurance, a British company with offices in Toronto (ask for Gina!). They offer annual contracts, but also cover shops, fire, theft/shoptheft, water damage, travel to shows, shows, and exhibits. They cover both dealers and collectors.

Their specialty is collectors and collecting and can be much cheaper for greater coverage than most household and commercial insurers.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks.

My mistake - i meant to write ShipSaver, but it actually is part of the same company, much like InsurePost is, which is why i got confused. i have used InsurePost for some time (volume not yet high enough for Shipsurance), but they do not cover India, which was presently needed and Canada Post doesn't cover Small Packet.

So i wrote ShipSaver, who also offers insurance through InkFrog, to see if they insure Canadian shipments and then i wrote this post. ShipSaver replied that they did, so i registered with them, filled in all my details and then went to insure my first shipment.

However, the fields for origin and carrier did not have Canada/Canada Post, so i wrote the gal back and she was going to check with her techs to see what the problem was. Long story short, several emails and three hours later i get an email from the tech dept stating that they do not cover shipments from Canada!

But thanks again for your reply just the same.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Been using ShipSurance.(Insure Post if you are not on contract) for years and have never had a problem. They do not ship to all countries and do not insure everything but neither does CP. I use them a lot for single shipments. They have a limit of $1000.00 if I remember correctly

They are also much cheaper than CP unless you use a CP product with $100.00 included as long as CP will insure it.  If you are using a CP product that is non insurable with CP, use insurepost and increase the insured value by $100.00 so the full amount is insured

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Dutchman48,  Have you had any experience filing a claim with them? Al

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

They do not ship to all countries and do not insure everything but neither does CP.

I've seen posters use this list as a Blocked Destinations list, on the basis that the company has real world experience with problem countries.

Personally, we use Hugh Wood Insurance, a British company with offices in Toronto (ask for Gina!). They offer annual contracts, but also cover shops, fire, theft/shoptheft, water damage, travel to shows, shows, and exhibits. They cover both dealers and collectors.

Their specialty is collectors and collecting and can be much cheaper for greater coverage than most household and commercial insurers.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thanks.

My mistake - i meant to write ShipSaver, but it actually is part of the same company, much like InsurePost is, which is why i got confused. i have used InsurePost for some time (volume not yet high enough for Shipsurance), but they do not cover India, which was presently needed and Canada Post doesn't cover Small Packet.

So i wrote ShipSaver, who also offers insurance through InkFrog, to see if they insure Canadian shipments and then i wrote this post. ShipSaver replied that they did, so i registered with them, filled in all my details and then went to insure my first shipment.

However, the fields for origin and carrier did not have Canada/Canada Post, so i wrote the gal back and she was going to check with her techs to see what the problem was. Long story short, several emails and three hours later i get an email from the tech dept stating that they do not cover shipments from Canada!

But thanks again for your reply just the same.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

i have and they were excellent with no hassle and quick payment. Actually found it surprising.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Good to know as i have been in contact with them but originally thought they were less interested in insuring for shipping only.

i have the form on my desk and will get on it.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

As I do not want to be involved with any contracts, I use their sister company InsurePost: www.insurepost.com

With InsurePost you can insure any single shipment, anytime, that meets their clearly defined criteria. 

As another poster has already suggested, check the destinations that they do not insure to. If you are selling to one of those destinations, you really may want to reconsider. There business is based upon the percentage of shipments that are successfully completed. This is not an opinion, or critique of the buyers honesty - it's simply based on the percentage of successful transactions. The problem may be with the destination countries' customs, postal system, transportation system and so on.

Anyways, I use InsurePost both for eBay and my business, as their costs are way better than the carriers, plus they insure methods that CP does not.

I have never had a claim. But, if you google shipsurance reviews, you find a number of great reviews.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

U-Pic insures shipments to India. Here is their web page of countries they ship to on their purchase online web page.

http://delta.u-pic.com/BuyOnline.aspx

If you click on the

Click here to Purchase Insurance NOW!

link, the page says the items must be shipped from the USA or Canada. If you start to fill out the form, it has selections for Canada provinces and Canada Post.  I would suggest emailing them to confirm that they cover shipments from Canada using Canada Post.

Rates are similar to shipsurance or InsurePost. Prices are in US dollars.

The countries insured by U-Pic online insurance (no contract) is slightly different than the ones insured by InsurePost (no contract). So check either site if you need insurance to see if one or the other covers the country you want insurance for.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

For those that are interested in the countries covered by InsurePost and U-Pic online coverage here is a breakdown of their coverage based on their web site FAQs. Please note that U-Pic also lists other names for countries and I have removed them. So a name like Eire for Ireland (on approved list) has been removed. As well, Wales, Scotland, England, Great Britain have been removed from the U-Pic list which are all part of the United Kingdom (on approved list).

If you wish to use this information to form the basis of a list of countries you will ship to on eBay, please note that eBay lists some territories and possessions separately from their mother country. So St Pierre and Miquelon is an eBay "country" but is part of France. Whether it is covered by the insurance companies, I do not know. Same for Falkland Islands (UK), Guam, Marshall Islands and other USA possessions/territories. UK has the Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey which use the UK postal system as far as I know.

Here is the InsurePost approved country list.

http://www.insurepost.com/questions.asp#GEN6

Here is the U=-Pic approved list.

http://delta.u-pic.com/BuyOnline.aspx

Countries covered by both InsurePost and U-Pic

Australia
Austria
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belgium
Bermuda
Canada
Chile
China
Costa Rica
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Dominican Republic
Egypt
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greenland
Guatemala
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Korea, South
Luxembourg
Mexico
Morocco
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico (USA)
Romania
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Countries covered by U-Pic only

Ecuador
Ghana
Guyana
India
Mauritius
Namibia
Slovakia
Trinidad and Tobago
Venezuela

Countries covered by InsurePost only

Argentina
El Salvador
Greece
Singapore
South Africa
Uruguay

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Thank-you.

Yes, U-Pic works with Canada Post. They will also do blanket policies apparently requiring less volume than Shipsurance, which needs something in the order of a hundred shipments per month.

Actually, i think U-Pic is more expensive then Insurepost (e.g. $1.95/$100 vs. $1.50), but when you need to ship to country not serviced elsewhere, it's good to have the choice.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Are you aware that if you wish to use InsurePost on Canada Post shipping options that do not have tracking like Small Packet and Light Packet, that you need proof of mailing (not proof of delivery).

http://www.insurepost.com/questions.asp#GEN22

What type of proof of mailing do I need?

In order to insure a package with InsurePost.com, we need to be sure the package actually was mailed! Placing a stamp on a package or using a meter machine is NOT ACCEPTABLE proof of mailing. We need to see that the insured package was physically placed in the mail flow. This can be a receipt from the post office with an acceptance stamp, a tracking number with an acceptance scan, a customs number with an acceptance scan, or a stamped document from the post office indicating acceptance.

Canada Post shippers: We are aware that some Canada Post classes of service, like Small Packet, may not contain a tracking or customs number. In order to cover your packages with InsurePost.com, make sure that your shipments have some form of indication of acceptance from Canada Post. You can have your Postal Representative or Post Master provide an acceptance stamp on your shipping receipt that indicates their acceptance into the mail flow.

This means if you used PayPal to create your Small Packet label, then you have to take the package to the Post Office and give you a receipt or stamp a copy of the PayPal shipping page that you printed. If you use the manual CN-22 Small PAcket form, have them stamp the second customer copy of the form.

Apparently, U-Pic does not have this requirement. I confirmed this by email with U-Pic a couple of years back. I do not know if this is true today. I did not find any info on the U-Pic site about this.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I've been using Insurepost for years from my small business in Vancouver, B.C.  In all this time I have only had one loss, and had to file a claim. I am not sure if their rules have changed but I found the refund process is slow. Mind you, they did refund me, which is the good news! I believe you have to wait something like 40 days before you can even file a claim  if the package was sent internationally. You also have to ask Canada Post to trace the item, which in my experience takes quite a long time--and include that information with other documents they ask you to submit.

One thing I was wondering is, if you ship through Canada Post and their rules about exporting certain items have a limit of say, $500, can you insure above this amount? Someone pointed out to me that Insurepost has to follow Canada's rules regarding exporting internationally.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

ZOMBIE POST FROM 2015

The problem with zombie posts is that the information may be out of date or incorrect.

For up to date information it is better to start your own thread about the company you are dealing with, not the one in this thread.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@halloweendonnyguy wrote:

I've been using Insurepost for years from my small business in Vancouver, B.C.  In all this time I have only had one loss, and had to file a claim.

I know it's a zombie thread but I have to reply to this recent post..........

So for years you have been paying for insurance and had one claim..........how many more claims would you need to break even against what you have spent on premiums?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 16 of 16
latest reply