Any Problems Mailing Non Printed Material by Regular LetterPost USA and LetterPost International ?

My query concerns mail sent in a standard paper envelope weighing less than 51 grams.

The relevant services for the purposes of this discussion are Canada Post Letter-Post USA and Letter-Post International.

I am well aware of the postal regulations, what is and what is not technically allowed to be mailed Letter-Post. However most of us also know those regulations have in the past been largely over-looked and not often enforced.

My question is directed towards those in this community who have recently used (in 2018) either of the Letter-Post services to ship non printed material outside of Canada.

Specifically, have you experienced any problems shipping metal objects such as coins or keys in an ordinary envelope? Have you had any such mail returned to sender or fail to reach it's recipient.

In the past I have mailed small tintype photographs with no problems whatsoever but haven't done so for a couple of years. Soon, I would like to list a small collection of these.

Would thin tintype photos mailed regular Letter-Post (under 50 g) arrive safely to USA and International addresses?

If anyone has recent experience mailing non printed material I sure would appreciate some recent real world feedback. Don't want to resort to Small Packet unless Letter-Post enforcement practices really have changed.

For those unfamiliar with tintypes they are antique photos, usually quite small in size, they were developed on thin metal instead of paper, thus they became known as "tintypes". Most date from the 1860- 1870 era.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Any Problems Mailing Non Printed Material by Regular LetterPost USA and LetterPost International ?

I cannot offer any insight. As a compulsive rule-follower, the thought of mailing anything but documents (especially as part of an untraceable service) via international lettterpost nearly gives me hives. I’m interested to hear the results of your poll, though.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

HI - I have also been tempted many times with items that didn't cost me much in the first place, so IF I had to refund then... Alas I am in a small town and very friendly with the Post Office. They would notice anything too rigid etc, even if I prepaid on-line (which I haven't actually found out how to do for Lettermail) ,they end up handling it for a moment .With that said... I have snuck some thin fabric stitchery patterns into a Christmas Card and sent it on Lettermail. Occasionally a buyer insists on this to cut the shipping rate and is willing to take the risk. Of course ultimately, Ebay would refund them regardless.. -ok sorry/ tangents - I know what you are talking about and they would disappear easily within a heavy Greeting Card and should be fine most of the time... However as stated above - IF it is a valuable item, then Tracked Packet USA isn't too bad if our $ stays low ! and they do have the 100 gram category also .. Good Luck !
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I, unfortunately have a number of sales each month that could use letter type packaging to the USA but only offer it as an option via request at the customers discretion. Currently every purchase received has paid for the listed services. The only place I ever use letter is for very low value thin items shipped in Canada where regular mail is a no go because of the value of the item. Instead of hives I just drink large amounts of coffee until I have confirmation the package has arrived and then I am able to breathe a sigh of relief. For USA your safest/economical bet is still Small Packet Air and Light Packet International for International shipments. Any shipment going outside of Canada even for low value should have the proper customs forms included. The other thing to consider by trying to use letter for your packages is you risk a red flag on your future mailings. Almost like an eBay strike against you. So is it really worth taking a chance. And if the customer really wants the item they won't take the chance of letter mail to save a few bucks and probably an item you can not replace because you do not have a spare. Letters have a greater chance of miss-sorts due to volume vs documented shipments being more hands on. Hey, just my 2 cents!!

-CM

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Almost all my items are low value and I use Cookie Jar Insurance for most of them. (We are also covered by Hugh Wood Insurance for high value material, but I rarely sell that on eBay.)

Which means that for most things Letter rate is the way to go.

Never had a problem in nearly 20 years, that I can remember.

I also don't go near the PO counter with my Letter rate shipments.

Instead I drop them in the corner mailbox, on the basis that it is very unlikely that a human eye will look at them until the carrier picks them up from his terminal for delivery.

However, most of what I sell is printed paper. Books, sewing patterns, photographs, postcards. If it's under 500 grams and 2 cm it goes Letter rate.

There,  my criminal career is exposed.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Almost all my items are low value and I use Cookie Jar Insurance for most of them. (We are also covered by Hugh Wood Insurance for high value material, but I rarely sell that on eBay.)

Which means that for most things Letter rate is the way to go.

Never had a problem in nearly 20 years, that I can remember.

I also don't go near the PO counter with my Letter rate shipments.

Instead I drop them in the corner mailbox, on the basis that it is very unlikely that a human eye will look at them until the carrier picks them up from his terminal for delivery.

However, most of what I sell is printed paper. Books, sewing patterns, photographs, postcards. If it's under 500 grams and 2 cm it goes Letter rate.

There,  my criminal career is exposed.

Someday, the booogie man will come for us both then ... lol

In case anyone may wonder what a tintype looks like here's a few examples. These are half the size of a postcard and are thin and flexible like poster / bristol board paper.  The last two are interesting examples.

PC001188_20180317_0001.jpgimg_20180317_0001.jpg

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I feel like I could argue that anything that is a printed paper is a 'document' but I recall that's not how the post office defines document. It's the lack of a Customs Declaration which becomes the issue too but even I can see it's not much of an issue in reality. That being said, I'm still too paranoid to attempt to use it myself. All that I ship abroad as Small Packet under 2 cm is LEGO minifigures and they're fairly obviously quite lumpy and not made of paper. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

I feel like I could argue that anything that is a printed paper is a 'document' but I recall that's not how the post office defines document. It's the lack of a Customs Declaration which becomes the issue too but even I can see it's not much of an issue in reality. That being said, I'm still too paranoid to attempt to use it myself. All that I ship abroad as Small Packet under 2 cm is LEGO minifigures and they're fairly obviously quite lumpy and not made of paper. 

I would agree the international postal / customs people have to draw a line "somewhere" regarding what can and cannot be sent Lettermail. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

i would recommend a small bubble mailer,   you could fit multiple photos, between thin cardboard,  in it and be under a hundred grams,  and under 2 centimeters thick, and postage is just 2.95, from Canada to the USA.  just my opinion.   and of course it has no tracking, or insurance.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:
... I also don't go near the PO counter with my Letter rate shipments.

I hand them off at my Shopper's postal outlet.  None of the cold or heat that my exposed local corner mailbox gets.  Plus, I know most of the staff after 7+ years at this location. A few of them enjoy looking at the stamps before putting them in the lettermail or oversize trays (so a bit of a presort).  The occasional 2cm check, but that's it.

I have stopped sending coins/medals letterpost outside Canada when the new rules kicked in, as I have heard that some postal systems run their mail through metal detectors.  So I would be reluctant to send tintypes via letterpost (USA/Int'l).  I'd be looking at bundle offers to be sent small packet.

If it looks like lettermail, feels like lettermail, then it is lettermail is my philosophy. But only when lettermail is the inexpensive option. About of 3 claims per 1000 shipments.

Letterpost for

Canada: the best price choice for under 500g and less than 2cm.

USA: the best price choice under 200g, then Small Packet becomes a reasonable alternative.

International: best price choice under 100g, then Small Packet Air becomes an alternative.

And for the lucky ones close enough, to the USA using USPS via ChitChatsExpress (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Halifax), DYKpost (Calgary, Edmonton), RunninRed (Winnipeg), StallionExpress (Toronto).

-..-

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

The one thing I would be nervous of with mailing tin types is if you were to put Do Not Bend on the package. Seems like any item like that always gets bent or folded somewhere along the way. Heaven forbid you put fragile on a package. I number of years ago I actually had a tour of the Winnipeg Postage Sort Facility with a group of other people. In our presence actually saw staff tossing packages trying to hit those cloth mailbags. When they would miss they would try again. You think they would know better with a tour passing through.

-CM

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

In case anyone may wonder what a tintype looks like here's a few examples. These are half the size of a postcard and are thin and flexible like poster / bristol board paper.  The last two are interesting examples.

img_20180317_0001.jpg

Actually, the tintype uses metal.  Much sturdier than the ambrotype (image on glass) which was the popular photo choice before it came out. I have some of both (family heirlooms) and the ambrotype I have requires reassembling the glass pieces to view.

Your last 2 tintypes look like studio photos, with the button-ribbon indicating a winner of a contest and the pants look like military or perhaps NWMP.

From wikipedia.org:

A tintype, also known as a melainotype or ferrotype, is a photograph made by creating a direct positive on a thin sheet of metal coated with a dark lacquer or enamel and used as the support for the photographic emulsion. Tintypes enjoyed their widest use during the 1860s and 1870s, but lesser use of the medium persisted into the early 20th century...

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

bubble mailer,   you could fit multiple photos, between thin cardboard,  in it and be under a hundred grams,  and under 2 centimeters thick,

I have to disagree.

I hate bubble mailers, because people trust them too much.

For something that can be damaged if bent, and carries usually bend a bundle of mail and put an elastic band around it when they sort,  the bubble mailer would be likely to damage any kind of photograph, including tintypes.

Preferable would be corplast, two layers at 90 degree angles in a poly envelope.

The corplast is much lighter and stronger than cardboard (and more expensive),the crossed lines would be very difficult to bend, and the poly envelope is waterproof.

https://mycreativepros.com/shop/coroplast/

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Actually, the tintype uses metal. 

Yes, very thin metal, which bends and flexes very easily.

Much sturdier than the ambrotype (image on glass) which was the popular photo choice before it came out. I have some of both (family heirlooms) and the ambrotype I have requires reassembling the glass pieces to view.

You are very fortunate to have had your family heirlooms survive, I'm sure you treasure those.

The ambrotype photos on glass are very interesting, I've seen quite a few variations in how the negatives were combined with other elements to produce positive images. The type you describe with your heirlooms accomplished this by using a dark material mounted behind the glass. Other types had the negative created on glass which was very darkly tinted, I've seen dark blue and black tinted glass ones. Yet another trick was to plaster a few quick brush strokes of pine resin over the back of the glass.

Your last 2 tintypes look like studio photos, with the button-ribbon indicating a winner of a contest and the pants look like military or perhaps NWMP.

Fairly certain the men holding the spears were Free Masons, the ceremonial spears were used for initiation ceremonies. Apparently the spears were often carved wood with a tin overlay. Heck, the photographer was probably a member too. The area those photos originated from had a strong Masonic heritage stretching well back to the time of the arrival of the United Empire Loyalists in Prince Edward County and Bay of Quinte area. 

From wikipedia.org:

A tintype, also known as a melainotype or ferrotype, is a photograph made by creating a direct positive on a thin sheet of metal coated with a dark lacquer or enamel and used as the support for the photographic emulsion. Tintypes enjoyed their widest use during the 1860s and 1870s, but lesser use of the medium persisted into the early 20th century...

Here are some examples of ambrotypes, tintypes and finally a carte de visite

glass ambrotype out of it's frame, the negative is on a heavily tinted black glass. Her jewelry has been handpainted in gold.glass ambrotype out of it's frame, the back of the glass is painted silver , to protect the silver pine resin is brushed over the silver.tintypes on thin metal, I think these are Masons posing with their ceremonial spear, the spears were used in initiationscarte de visite photo, usually an albumen print, a thin paper photograph mounted on a thicker paper card, these are Canada West militia in Belleville C.W.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

We ship cassette tapes all over the planet every day by letter mail. They fit through the 2 cm slot and weigh less than 100g. In the 13 years of selling these we have only had 2 come back and that was from Quebec. We suspected that they came back because they had only english on the labels. We now print special address labels for that province both to and from that use french instead (eg. rue instead of street). No more problems with items coming back.

Put these in a corner post box and they always get there.

Prices of stamps as follows:

within Canada: $1.80

USA: $2.95

elsewhere $5.90

Message 15 of 15
latest reply