Anyone here ship to Kenya? Any problems?

I have someone who wants to purchase a fair amount of my patterns and is in Kenya. A bit of a language problem (I think they speak German), the message seems to have been translated using a translating site (or ebay?). Asked how much for shipping so had to explain how I needed to know in advance what items they wanted. Anyway, I would ship tracked packet but has anyone had any problems shipping to Kenya?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Well, just checked and found that I can only ship to Kenya using International Parcel - air and its very very expensive - the highest Canada Post rate 110. Would cost minimum of about $75, maybe more. Also realized that I don't even ship to Kenya, its on my list of excluded countries. I'll wait and see what they want, may take a chance if not too expensive.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Kenyan speak Swahili and English.

Anyone goes to school there will speak English very well.

Light package is same price worldwide if yr pattern could be less 2 cm thick if I am not wrong.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Dress patterns are a pretty safe bet. At least you know the person is willing to follow instructions.Woman Wink

Give the customer the cost of shipping by AIR MAIL.Depending on your level of risk, you may want either to use a postal service that includes Delivery Confirmation (if you worry about Paypal disputes) or add third party insurance (I understand shipinsurance is good for one off cases).

If the customer refuses, thank her for her interest and add her to your Blocked Bidder List. Do not allow Surface shipping and do not allow her to refuse a S&H that includes the level of protection (DC or insurance) that makes you comfortable. If things go pear shaped, it would be you who bears the brunt of the troubles. She gets a refund.

Shipping is, in the long run, paid by the buyer. Don't worry if it seems high. Either it is acceptable or it is not.

Some sales are not worth having.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Letter Mail is AIR MAIL.

And yes my (only) Kenyan friend speaks excellent English. Come to think of it, two of my cousins are Kenyan-born, although they have lived in Scotland for decades.

Pretty well any African country which is or was part of the British Commonwealth teaches English in their schools.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Yes femme, but this happens to be German speaking buyer who wants me to ship to Kenya, where I think they are currently living. Their ebay page shows Germany. I sure don't mind shipping to Kenya, but this buyer indicated they wanted to buy a large amount of my items. I'll just wait and see how many items they want.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I worked in Kenya and am familiar with their postal system as it was 10 years ago.  I would never send a package by mail to Kenya unless it was to a government address or NGO in Nairobi.  I would ship by sea if it was to be handled by an agent in the port.  Surprising things can happen.  Even medical supplies can get derailed.  And right now the country is unsettled.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I use Kentex cargo to ship. I have not had a problem with them. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I worked in Kenya and am familiar with their postal system as it was 10 years ago.  I would never send a package by mail to Kenya unless it was to a government address or NGO in Nairobi.  I would ship by sea if it was to be handled by an agent in the port.  Surprising things can happen.  Even medical supplies can get derailed.  And right now the country is unsettled.

I'm jealous. I've always wanted to visit Kenya.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Weird, this is a post I started about 14 months ago. I wonder what happened to the person from Kenya who wanted to buy lots of my items? I have absolutely no idea!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Shipsurance will not insure to Kenya

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hey i am looking for a legit shipper for a parcel to kenya. Please contact me

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

There is a suggested cargo company a little further up in this zombie post.

If the purchase is electronics, you probably don't want to proceed.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 14
latest reply