App to View Your Listings as Others See Them

When I view my listings on my own mobile phone, they look good and I always presumed that that was the way others would see them.  But .... no.

Apparently there is an app which allows you to see your listings as others would see them from their mobile phone.  Does anyone know what it's called?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Unfortunately, I don't know what app you seek. 

However, the way an item (or any webpage) appears on mobile devices depends on any number of factors including the specific device, app and/or version of the app, or browser and/or version of the browser that the device uses if an app isn't present. What might look good on one may not on another, regardless of any steps that you take.

Can you cite an example of why you think it looks wrong, or screenshot it?  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@mjwl2006momcqueen wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't know what app you seek. 

However, the way an item (or any webpage) appears on mobile devices depends on any number of factors including the specific device, app and/or version of the app, or browser and/or version of the browser that the device uses if an app isn't present. What might look good on one may not on another, regardless of any steps that you take.

Can you cite an example of why you think it looks wrong, or screenshot it?  

Over time, I've been changing my listings to have them all aligned at the left margin, although I still have a long way to go.  When I view my own listings that are still centered in the middle of the description box on my cell phone, I can still see them clearly without having to scroll all over the screen.  However, I read on one web page or another that these (centered) listings will not be viewed correctly on most mobile phones.

Would you kindly view 253313541213 on your mobile, when you have a minute, and let me know what you see.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Okay, I'll have a look and report back. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

On the ebay app which is the latest version as seen on an iPhone, I get this:

IMG_7691.PNG

On the mobile version of the most up-to-date version of Satari on my mobile device, it looks like this:

IMG_7692.PNG

There isn't a big variation between the two. Some text at right is cropped. And I'm only in my 40s but I find the text a bit on the small side. 

Was this what you were expecting to see? 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It is the same orientation as I see on the webpage itself.

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 3.31.30 PM.png

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thanks Maureen.  I'm glad it wasn't all garbled.  I'm wondering, though, did you have to scroll across the screen to see all of it?  If so, I'll have to speed up my revisions. 

You're right .... the text is quite small.  I'm so accustomed to using a 125 zoom on my computer screen and I forget that the actual text is going to look smaller.  I'll revise that as well.

It seems that 2017 was the year of the revision:

* Re-do listings for .com (for those of us who wanted to continue to sell in USD)

* Ensure correct HTML code

* Run through the eBay scanner, again and again and again.

As well, become accustomed to Snap Ship and Shippo and the many other changes eBay has made over the year -- too numerous to mention.

I've listed so few new items this past year but it seems I'm working on eBay several hours a day.  It's not what I signed up for Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Maureen, how do you do a screenshot on an iphone and on an ipad?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

It's easy, but it takes a bit of finessing to get it right: you simply click the home button at the precisely same time as the on/off button on the top right-hand side of the device. You'll know you've done it correctly when the screen flashes briefly and if you have sound enabled (I do not) it may even make a shutter button click. If you hit the buttons at slightly different times, your device goes to sleep, or you just end up staring at the home page. But you'll find the screenshot in Photos. 

Jt, the images I shared all demonstrate exactly what the buyer (or me at least) sees upon clicking Item Description. There was no scrolling required to view anything, although that tiny sliver of text is missing at the right side, it's a character or two short.

A few years ago, I altered all the formatting on my Item Descriptions (I think it was at the same time as having to add Product Identifiers) and I remember it felt like it took a hundred years but I think it was only a few months. But it was steady work, and it felt thankless. I have to do it again soon to fix the reference to my store and user names which are changing. I'm not really looking forward to that, you have my empathy. 

I picked 14 pt Georgia for my body text. I find it seems a bit garish in terms of its size but I tell myself that it's easier to read that way. And they keep telling us that more and more buyers are coming to ebay on mobile devices where the screen size is already small. Smaller type would look classier on my listings in my opinion. But this size is nice and legible. Plus, the typeface determines legibility as much as it is the size. 

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 4.11.47 PM.png

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@mjwl2006momcqueen wrote:

I picked 14 pt Georgia for my body text. I find it seems a bit garish in terms of its size but I tell myself that it's easier to read that way. And they keep telling us that more and more buyers are coming to ebay on mobile devices where the screen size is already small. Smaller type would look classier on my listings in my opinion. But this size is nice and legible. Plus, the typeface determines legibility as much as it is the size. 

I looked up your Dinoco diecast set (the $1100 one) and it didn't look garish or too large on my iPhone 6.  Nice job!!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks MJ!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply