Auction vs Fixed Price Promotions

First Ebay thanks for the three consecutive 500 auction, free insertion fee promos. BUT these really do not work for me and what I could really use is 500 fixed price BIN promotion. Have not seen one in over 2 months.

The last two times I actually tried to use them and I ran an experiment. I took 40 of my items and listed them as auctions (mostly 7 days) with starting bid of $1 and added a BIN. Very few actually sold and the ones that did sold for a very low price. Well at least the buyer should be happy, I and you made very little. Then I took the exact same items and listed them fixed price for 30 days at much higher price's, in most cases in the $10-0 dollar range mostly.  In the 30 days over half of the items sold for much more money and buyers seem happy as the majority left 5 star feedback.

In a few cases some items that I had just listed as auctions and buyer could have bought for a dollar but did not, sold in a fixed price listing for much more money. One was almost a $40 dollar difference. I cannot explain why this happens but I have tried this a few times now and I have had the same results.

So I think you want more auction listings but why should I list as auctions when I get these results and would it not be a good idea for you to support me in this because you make more money from me when I list in a fixed price format so please give me back those promos or explain to me logically why you will not.

If anyone else has any ideas about why I get these results please let me know.

It is like when you told us to switch to Can listings and we would make more money, so I switched and in some months did sell more items but at a lower price so in the end made less money monthly so I think I need to list on com more now.

thanks for reading, commenting and hopefully listening, cheers

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Keep in mind that eBay promotions are meant to benefit eBay.

EBay is one of the few auction sites left.
Most online commerce has moved to Fixed Price, because (especially with the arrival of mobile shopping and instant online payment systems) customers can get instant gratification.

Did I find it? Does the price sound reasonable? Buy! Pay! and a week or so later a package in the mail.*

So eBay to hold onto their different from AZ and every other site, from time to time sets up a promotion to encourage sellers to run auctions.

This is also in my opinion, why eBay pushes auctions on new sellers. Strongly enough that many don't seem to know that there are Fixed Price listings.

with starting bid of $1 and added a BIN. Very few actually sold

Another eBay suggestion that benefits eBay only.

They may get a few bottom feeder buyers out of it-- but experienced sellers don't try to compete with Chinese scammers.**

Then I took the exact same items and listed them fixed price for 30 days at much higher price's***,Then I took the exact same items and listed them fixed price for 30 days at much higher price's***,

Yep.

85% of listings are now Fixed Price. Because they are preferred by both sellers  and buyers.

n some months did sell more items but at a lower price so in the end made less money monthly so I think I need to list on com more now.

Did you not change your prices to correct for the exchange.

I sell on dotCOM items that can be send LetterPost/Light Packet with a set shipping price. My norm is $9.99 USD with Free Shipping.

Similar items (books mostly) that must go parcel rate are listed on dotCA at $12.99CDN which is roughly equivalent to $9.99 US.

But basically.

Keep in mind that eBay promotions are meant to benefit eBay.

* The weak spot is still Canada Post, bless their little pointy shoes.

** The scam being that there is no product, nothing is sent, and the few complainng buyers get a prompt refund while they keep the hundreds from the suckers who have forgotten the purchase or who can't figure out how to Dispute.

*** The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Apostrophes has been notified. Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@aligolf wrote:
...In a few cases some items that I had just listed as auctions and buyer could have bought for a dollar but did not, sold in a fixed price listing for much more money. One was almost a $40 dollar difference. I cannot explain why this happens but I have tried this a few times now and I have had the same results. 

Auctions starting at a low price only work for items that have high interest. If you don't have at least 2 (or more) people bidding the selling price will be low.  For BIN to sell all you need is one person to see the listing and say gotta-have-it-now.

Any auctions I have up (and I am taking advantage of the current promo) start at the price I am willing to accept and I also use the add on BIN option for the auction for the price I'll be delighted to accept.

Selling rates for the stuff I list are in the 1-3% range for auctions. And usually get just one bidder or someone jumping straight to the BIN price. But, every so often I'm pleasantly surprised by a bidding war.

As reallynicestamps said these promos are for eBay's benefit. Sometimes to collect data, sometimes to fill weak areas of listings, sometimes just to encourage people to dig out more stuff to list.

Promo side benefit:

For the current promo I'm taking some of my older 30 day BIN's that are up for relisting, temporarily converting them to auction, and using the opportunity to fine tune the description for mobile devices, adjusting titles for improved buyer interest, dumping incorrect eBay catalog info and fixing my mistakes.

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Something... very interesting.

I have listed  a two volume set   on a regular basis at close to $200 Canada... used to be $150 US

(1) I listed at $195   and it sold.... Canadian dollars

(2) Then came someone with an auction for the same two  volume set... Started at $20 and it sold for $40... Canadian Dollars

(3) Then came another auction listed at $40     ... No  sale..... Listed again  and no sale....   Listed again and no sale... listed again and finally sold at $40

I waited.... had another two volume set...  and was not sure what to do..

(4) At about one month after this last sale...  I listed fixed price at $195...... and it sold within two weeks.

Auctions  did not work..

Fair market value was $195  in Canadian dollars

and above all... listing an auction at $1.00  is only good for a buyer

In my situation... Listing low means a low value sale.

My two sales proved that the seller should have listed fixed price .........at my price...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Auctions can be used.... But very carefully... and in  very selective categories.

Never start at $1.00

Start at a price  where one is willing to sell with one bid.... 

In many situations  it will always be ...a one bid sale.

----------------------------------

When it was auctions only on eBay .... many years ago.... , people came on a weekly  and maybe even a daily basis to see what was being sold.....  and they found what they wanted to bid on and buy.

Today  people come to eBay... look  and if it looks right... they buy. at a fixed price...  No more regular visits.

People do not come here on a regular basis...    and that is why auctions for the most part are dead on eBay...  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

One-dollar start auctions are useful if you want to give products away as loss-leaders. I wouldn't pay an auction listing fee to do that. when I do my infrequent 'giveaway' auctions, I typically start them at a penny or dime. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply