Buyer bought item, left positive feedback, now wants refund a week later?

I recently sold a video game to someone; the condition was noted as "Good" as it had minor disc scratches from regular use (as most used games do), and these scratches were noted in the ad description. The game was tested and working perfectly (also noted in the description). The buyer received last week and immediately left positive feedback with a comment: "Great condition".

A week later, he has now requested a return claiming "heavy scratches", which in my opinion/experience isn't accurate. My guess is the buyer either tried the game out and didn't like it, and/or bought it on impulse and regrets it. 

As a seller, do I have any path out of being forced to accept the return and provide a refund? Note that the ad description also says "returns are not accepted for this item".

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer bought item, left positive feedback, now wants refund a week later?

Does he claim the game doesn't work? I think that's the only way he could win a SNAD claim...but it sounds like he's simply contradicting his feedback.

In my experience, scammers don't typically leave positive feedback and then request a refund, so I'd be inclined to refund.

From what I understand, it he files a SNAD, it doesn't matter if you accept returns or not.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

EBay does not use Feedback as a way of assessing member accounts.

Only about 40% of transactions get any FB, and in my opinion, most of that is left by sellers

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

It may impact who pays for the return.

If you refuse to refund when a purchase is returned to you, eBay will refund the buyer and then come after you for their money.

In addition you will be given a Defect.

Defects can mean a rise in your FVF, restrictions on the number and value of your listings, or even a closed seller account.

Is your buyer in the USA? 

One real scam* is that American buyers often think that foreign sellers cannot send return shipping cost.

And if the seller does not pay for the return, except in a few circumstances, he keeps the item and gets refunded.

BUT

You can send a USPS return shipping label using your Shippo account. If you don't already have one, sign up. You will also need a Small Business Solutions number from Canada Post, which will save you money on your other shipments.

If the buyer uses the USPS label and returns the game, refund and then relist.

If the buyer doesn't use the USPS label, he keeps the game and gets no refund. Eventually you will be credited with the cost of the unused label.

Also Search the Boards for "Cookie Jar Insurance".  PYA.

*I'm willing to accept that the buyer is unhappy with his purchase, no matter what reason. And you did say there were scratches.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If the buyer has opened a return request and claimed that the item was damaged, you really don't have any option other than to either refund or to accept the return and provide a return label.  eBay generally assumes that the buyer is telling the truth as they have no way of confirming it and they don't consider feedback as proof..actually they don't really consider anything as 'proof'.

If you don't accept the refund and provide a label, ebay will almost certainly rule in the buyers favour and force you to refund, probably without requiring a return. Then you will have an unresolved claim defect.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Is your buyer in the USA?

One real scam* is that American buyers often think that foreign sellers cannot send return shipping cost.

And if the seller does not pay for the return, except in a few circumstances, he keeps the item and gets refunded.

We have no idea if this is a scam and I really doubt that it is a common scam.   I've read tons of posts on the US boards where the buyer assumes that a return to an international seller results in a label being issued just like it is when a US seller accepts a return.  Most US buyers are fairly naive on how the system works.  Heck...tons of sellers in both countries are naive as to how it works.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm particularly old and grumpy today.

I don't have many Not As Described disputes, but the last time I did I sent the USPS label through Shippo.

The Dispute was that the stamp, described as VFH (very fine hinged) in the title and Hinged in the Description, was hinged.

The buyer did not use the label. The Dispute was ended in my favour.

It took a long time, weeks, before the label's value was refunded.

I agree, most buyers are honest. A Claim is not a scam. It's a disagreement.

Mostly.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I noted from some of your sold items that you charge $9.95 for shipping to the U.S. and that some of your games are fairly costly.  I think you'll have to determine whether this transaction is worth spending another $10.00 for return shipping, or whether you send the refund and allow him to keep the game.

Like other posters have stated, you are not likely to win a dispute and you'll end up sending a refund anyway.  At least this way, you won't  get a defect.

As well, your understanding of light scratches and his understanding could be quite different.  And, if he was anticipating a return (even if he regretted the purchase), he may have made the scratches heavier than the original ones in order to justify the return.

I would choose the quick remedy instead of the time and attention it will take to issue the return label, wait for the return, examine the scratches and dispute the findings.  You want this out of your mind so you can get on with your work.  I've been there .... it's not easy, but it comes with the territory.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks all; I have approached the buyer with an offer of a partial refund so he can repair/buff the disc – something most used game stores offer for $5-$10. If that doesn't work it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and pay to have it shipped back (it's a $50 game that I should be able to sell again). Thanks for everyone's input.

It's good eBay has all these methods in place to protect buyers, but at the same time it certainly makes it easy for sellers to get taken advantage of!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I'm curious .... did your buyer accept your offer of a partial refund to buff the disc?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply