Buyer wants to return a phone that has nothing wrong with it. Should I have to pay the shipping?

I sold a phone 2 weeks ago. So now I get a message from the buyer claiming that it’s not the same phone that’s in the picture, and that it’s not as described. The only description I wrote was that it’s “preowned and comes with a charger” and put 2 pictures in my listing. Now they want to return it. At least this buyer wants to return I’ve dealt with customers who want a refund and keep their items. So should I have to pay to have this phone returned? Considering that there’s nothing wrong with it?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buyer wants to return a phone that has nothing wrong with it. Should I have to pay the shipping?

If they are claiming it is not as described then yes, you will have to pay for return shipping... Make sure they open a case, so you will get reimbursed for your fees. If it is a remorse claim  as they simply don't want it anymore, then you wouldn't have to pay return shipping, but since they are claiming it isn't the same phone, then yes you will have to pay for return shipping.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

What phone did you sell? There are none among your Solds. If your item was matched with an item in ebay's Product Catalogue and the details of said catalogue entry are incorrect, this is a different matter than a straight remorse-or-not-remorse return. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@momcqueen

Hmm- I'm wondering if sellers forced to use the product catalogue should be triple-checking to be sure the information they are posting from the catalogue applies to their own item.

When the books catalogue first came out the ISBN for Anne of Green Gables produced a description and publishing information for Lady Chatterley's Lover.  (Now THERE'S a crossover fanfiction I'd like to read.)

This could also be the background for the laptop seller on another thread.

tyler@ebay

Is there a simple and obvious way to report errors in the catalogue to eBay?

Can incorrect catalogue information be deleted from a listing by the seller?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@the_canadian_thrifter

You can refuse the return.

You cannot refuse a refund.

If your buyer is in the USA you can send a USPS Return Shipping Label using Shippo. I presume you already have a Small Business Solutions card from Canada Post? You need one to use Shippo.

You might also Search the Boards for one of my many postings about Cookie Jar Insurance.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ebay no longer arbitrates reasons for returns, regardless of what a buyer states or if they abuse the remorse return reason. If they open a return request that isn't a remorse reason (until that option is phased out) it is coming back on your dime. Definitely good advice to thoroughly check any listing that relies on the catalog as it is rife with errors and you are liable 100% of the time as a seller. If you sell regularly you should look at adding 10-20% to your shipping costs to account for this in the future.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

When eBay is adding information on the fly, maybe there needs to be some sort of a tab that the sellers should have to approve to verify/confirm ANY INFORMATION that has been added before proceeding with either using RELIST or SELL SIMILAR. Are these modifications being added to listings that are live already? How is a seller to know or to monitor and NOT be held accountable for these changes when something is automagically (Great eBay specific word!!!) updated? This needs to be passed on to the powers that be, before it's too late and a listing blows up in a sellers face due to no fault of their own!!!

-CM

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@momcqueen

Hmm- I'm wondering if sellers forced to use the product catalogue should be triple-checking to be sure the information they are posting from the catalogue applies to their own item.

When the books catalogue first came out the ISBN for Anne of Green Gables produced a description and publishing information for Lady Chatterley's Lover.  (Now THERE'S a crossover fanfiction I'd like to read.)

This could also be the background for the laptop seller on another thread.

tyler@ebay

Is there a simple and obvious way to report errors in the catalogue to eBay?

Can incorrect catalogue information be deleted from a listing by the seller?

Howdy @reallynicestamps - there should be a link from the catalog itself, or a member can email sdsupport@ebay.com with any concerns. If a return is opened due to an error in the catalog we'd want you to contact CS for a review of the return - while we may still ask you to accept it we would work hard to mitigate the impact to your selling account.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I've seen something like that when I remove the catalogue description from my book listings.

There is still the question of why I can put in the ISBN directly from the book and either get a point-blank "that does not exist" or the same title with a different cover or a different publication date. Occasionally even a different publisher.

The 'does not exist' seems to be mostly non-US editions, including true firsts.

It is possible that the same ISBN was used for several editions by the publisher.

But I suspect that the ISBNs attached to titles from other publishers is sloppy entry work by some long gone seller when the catalogue was first being put together.

A weakness of crowd-sourcing.

EBay needs to hire a squad of Librarians to clean up the mess.

These guys may be available. librarians_2014.jpg

Message 9 of 9
latest reply