Canada Postal Delays

c200sc
Community Member

Hi,

I am looking for the ebay.com customer services address. Wish to notify them of Canada Postal Delays.

Ebay should update, notify customers that foreign inbound mail is now backlogged at Canadian Customs.

No updates displayed on ebay.com regarding ongoing delays due to Canadian Customs  and/or Canadian Post Office delays /backlog.

Im a professional seller based in Greece and starting from mid June and none of my items is shown as delivered!

And im talking for more than ten registered parcels with a tracking number (sign on delivery).

I have also contacted the Greek Post Office about this issue, regarding the on going Canadian Customs and/or Post Office delays.

They have informed me that they are aware of this problem, and although they have contacted Canadian Post Office, they never received an official reply.

Just for the records, i also contacted the Canadian embassy In Greece, the Greek embassy in Ottawa & Toronto, i mailed Canadian Post Office, i tried to reach them through Facebook...nothing!

Both embassies have no idea about the delays and as for Canadian Post Office, i never got a reply. They just ignored me.

Im shipping all around the world for more than 20 years and never had any similar delays, even with countries who may be considered as " third world".

Has anybody else have the same problem?

Yours sincerely,

c200sc

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Canada Postal Delays

@cumos55 wrote:
... Mail going to Europe goes to Montreal and then to Longueuil, before the mail leaves Canada. ... Based on the passage of tracked mail

My mail exits Canada via Mississauga (at least it did a couple of months ago).

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

My American mail departs via Mississauga. European goes through Montreal. Asia and Australia departs via Richmond. I think. I'll double-check and come back if that's incorrect.
Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

Thank you everybody for your support! Smiley Happy

The most bizzare is that items that shipped on early August have already been delievered to the customers.

On the other hand, parcels that left Greece around mid June, late June, early July, still pending...Cat Mad

Have a great weekend!

Best regards,

George.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

Hi everybody,

Here is the processing time of a parcel that shipped from Greece on June 26th and has not yet delivered.

Please note that im talking about a 1st class (not economy) registered airmail.

26.06.2017 09:16
Accepted from Sender
Ymittou - Elta

26.06.2017 09:36
Left Post Office
Ymittou - Elta

26.06.2017 16:41
Arrival at Airport

26.06.2017 22:16
Send Item Abroad (Export > CANADA)

29.08.2017 15:09
Sorting
Mississauga

29.08.2017 18:01
Left Post Office
Mississauga

The Canadian Post Office continues to impress with its handling/processing times...
Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

It appears the delay was caused crossing the Atlantic. Canada Post wouldn't have had custody of it at that point. I'd guess the Greek office missorted it to surface mail which is sent by boat.

It left Greece June 26 and didn't arrive in Canada until August 29. There's no possible way to blame Canada Post for that.
Message 25 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

Check your tracking number against the Canada Post website for more information on precisely where and when the loss of time occurred.
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

@c200sc wrote:

26.06.2017 22:16
Send Item Abroad (Export > CANADA)

29.08.2017 15:09
Sorting
Mississauga

The Canadian Post Office continues to impress with its handling/processing times...

Definitely sounded like it went the surface route rather than airmail route when it left Greece. Like MJ said, that's hardly Canada Post's fault. Stop falsely accusing Canada Post. 

Sometimes when I buy from China, even though it's supposed to be sent via Airmail, it still takes over 2 months for the item to be delivered...

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

There is no mention of customs so it's possible that the package sat in Canadian customs for a while.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

There is no mention of customs so it's possible that the package sat in Canadian customs for a while.

Yep. Registered mail is at the bottom of the customs priority list. If it isn't express/priority it gets checked last.

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

@hlmacdon wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Yep. Registered mail is at the bottom of the customs priority list. If it isn't express/priority it gets checked last.

It's possible that it was stuck at customs, but I'm still getting my Japan airmail packages within two weeks... 

Message 30 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

I suspect there are lines missing from the tracking cited above. I've never not seen a notation where the parcel has landed at Customs indicated at time and date before being handed to the carrier, regardless of whether it's incoming or outgoing international tracked mail. Customs takes possession of incoming mail, and only once it's released does the carrier get to worry about delivery. Of course, there are special fast-pass services like Xpresspost International or Worldwide Priority that a seller can buy priority handling and something akin to pre-clearance. 

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

I have been buying items from ebay for several years and it appears that CBSA is intentionally delaying customs clearance  of parcels over the past 6 -12 months.   I think this is a calculated attempt by the liberal government to curb online buying from other countries as they cannot collect sales tax effectively.    By increasing customs clearance time it will discourage many people from buying online from international retailers.   It think they have stepped up their efforts to delay items even more as of late due to NAFTA renegotiations and  USA desire to increase the duty free import limit to $800.   

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Canada Postal Delays

it appears that CBSA is intentionally delaying customs clearance  of parcels over the past 6 -12 months.

Yes.

CBSA has been carefully vetting mail especially small packages that are not tracked, which come from China for more than a year.

This is part of the program to stop imports of fentanyl, which has killed over 500 people in BC alone this year.

China is cooperating with this by outlawing the manufacture of the drug and also vetting parcels before they leave the country.

Then in an unrelated international campaign, the 'Western' members of the Universal Postal Union have been putting a very low priority on untracked packages from China.

This is because China has been stubbornly taking advantage of parts of the UPU Treaty that give some leeway on payments to other nations for delivering international mail.

Basically, China is not covering the cost of mail delivery as they should. And the other postal systems are sick of it.

The slowed service started under the Conservative government and is also a policy of the USA, UK, Norway and Germany that I know of for sure, but I believe all the countries in the European Union are part of the quasi-boycott.

Message 33 of 33
latest reply