Canada post card for pickup with matching ID - not valid proof of delivery?

I always use Canada post's card for pickup option for my high value shipments as the post office requires the individual who is picking up to have a government issued ID that matches the name and address on the package. I recently lost a "seller did not recieve item" case against a new buyer with no purchase history even though the tracking shows picked up at post office. Ebay says a signature is needed for valid proof of delivery but in my case a matching goverment ID was required for pick up. By assessing the entire situation it is clear that the buyer is abusive and it seems that ebay has no interest in protecting their longtime sellers. 

Is there anything that can be done about this? This case has left me out a large sum....

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Canada post card for pickup with matching ID - not valid proof of delivery?

If ebay's policy is to favour the buyer in a case like this: it leaves all sellers in a vulnerable position. I am afraid to list high value items because of the risk involved.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It's a long standing policy.

If the value of the transaction is $750or more, you need to purchase Signature Confirmation, for $1.50.

The purpose is that while at the counter you PRESENT identification, no record of that ID is made or kept.

And counter clerks are human  and make mistakes.

The difference is the value.

And eBay chose $750.

After that the clerk sees the ID and the signature is recorded.

Note that with COVID, signatures are not collected at the door, but the carrier can sign. And we have been assured, by tyler@ebaythat this will be accepted.

I don't really know what card for pickup might be.

Not the new FlexDelivery which is set up by the buyer.

Are you simply marking packages No Safe Drop (or USPS equivalent)?

That's good , but if the value is high enough, it's worth the extra $1.50.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I assume this was for one of the PS5 consoles you have listed. If so, the reason you lost the case is because you didn't put signature confirmation on the package (also means that you didn't insure the package for over $200) and has nothing to do with 'Card for Pick-up'. As others have mentioned, eBay requires signature confirmation of delivery for anything valued greater than $750 CAD.

Choosing 'Card for Pick-up' when creating your label just means that instead of an attempt being made by Canada Post to deliver to the address on the label, the parcel will automatically be carded and taken to the nearest post office. The recipient will then have to take the card to the post office, along with valid photo ID, to collect the parcel. Note that the only thing Canada Post cares about when delivering a parcel is that the person picking up is authorized to receive mail at the address on the parcel (i.e. their ID has the matching address on it) - the name on the parcel and the name of the person picking up the parcel is irrelevant.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

You have no recourse with eBay because you didn't not ship with a service that requires signature confirmation.

You should contact Canada Post to see if they will investigate the mail fraud internally (which USPS does, I don't know if Canada Post has a department for this). You also need to open a police report. The sooner the better.  Additionally, read this link: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/Oca-bc.nsf/eng/ca03049.html

Depending on what has happened so far, I would contact the buyer and let them know you plan to take these steps. Don't frame it in a "You stole from me, I am going to report you to the police". Just politely let them know that you are disappointed that their was an issue with their item, but because Canada Post marked it as picked up, you need to open a police report and report mail fraud in order to determine if Canada Post can assist you with finding out who picked up the package, so that you can retrieve your item. Tell them it would be helpful if they could check with their local post office at their convenience to see if the package is somehow still there, and if it is still there you can exchange Paypal info so that they can reimburse you for the refund. 

In the chance this person didn't scam you, you're not accusing them of anything. You're simply asking for their assistance in a reasonable way. If this is a teen or a burnout, and they did scam you, they might get spooked (as they should), and you will get an "Oh wow the PS5 turned up at my Post Office, I'm so glad, let me send you the money, no need to file a report!".

If this just happened, I would also check around on Facebook marketplace in the buyer's city or Kijiji and see if you can find any advertisements that offer PS5's for sale that were put up after yours was delivered. Kijiji usually gives you the person's first name and the postal code. In the off chance this just happened, you might be able to find the person selling yours. In which case, back up the ad by taking a screen shot or printing it to a PDF, and contact the seller to try and arrange a meetup. Obviously, you aren't in their city, but if you can get their phone number, and it matches the one in the transaction, you have even more evidence. If you can trick them into giving you a picture of the PS5 serial number, you would have them dead to rights. This is a huge long shot. eBay won't do anything, but it would be great for a police report. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hi @dinomitesales 

Not knitpicking,  however it's important to point out your error which is misleading

" eBay requires signature confirmation of delivery for anything valued greater than $750 CAD."   

This is incorrect. 

@reallynicestamps is correct "If the value of the transaction is $750 or more"

The $750 does not apply to the value of the item. It applies to the value of the item including SHIPPING CHARGES and any TAXES ie the value of the transaction. . Depending on the taxes charged, the weight,  size, distance  and the cost of insurance to ship it to the buyer the item cost can be much less than $750. 

Quote from eBay 

"Seller – When should I purchase signature confirmation in order to be protected against an item not received case or a payment dispute?
If the order has a total cost (including shipping costs and any taxes) of $750 or more, you're required to purchase signature confirmation to be protected if a buyer reports an item not received or opens a payment dispute. If you are shipping internationally, see the signature confirmation thresholds table below to see if signature confirmation is required for the shipment."

full policy on signatures is here: https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/signature-confirmation-policy?id=5154&st...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Bravo! 😉

Message 7 of 7
latest reply