Canadapost lettermail to USA

I have some items to ship that are < .8" thick  which is the lettermail maximum (<80grams). I usually enclose them in cardboard so they lay flat and even in the envelope (4"x6").  Sometime i get hassled by the clerk to use parcel service and/or fill out a customs declaration at 3-7x the cost.  Normally I would use chitchats via USPS but sometimes CP is more convenient. What is your experience with CP?  

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Canadapost lettermail to USA

What type of envelope did you have and what else did you have in the envelope? I would think that most single coins would go through the slot for regular mail.  If I was selling single coins, I would have stamps at home and just put the item in the outside mail box...not bring it inside. 

Message 41 of 50
latest reply

Is the slot exactly 2cm or a little smaller? I'm going to make one myself as I have a milling machine.  

Message 42 of 50
latest reply

If it is < .200" thick and < 30g should only cost $1.30  to USA

I've send many that size w/o issue. 

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

Slot is exactly 2 cm for Lettermail oversize. For regular Lettermail the slot is 0.5 cm.
Message 44 of 50
latest reply

The template has a slot of 300mm x 20mm, which is big enough to fit an oversize letter with a maximum of 270mm for the smaller side.  I have it in my hands, and double-checked it with a measuring tape to be sure!

EDIT: I understand now that it's not the official Canada Post template, so that's why it's not doing exactly what it should help to do...

Message 45 of 50
latest reply

The problem here is you didn't buy the official Canada Post template.  Check my earlier message with the link.

Message 46 of 50
latest reply

I'm a noob with letterpost and looking to use it to expend my sales to US since i'm selling trading cards and apparentely US people are the biggest cards buyers. But if i understand in reality since CP says we can't ship ''goods'' we just can't legally sell and ship with letterpost this is weird. Sucks that we have to go against the laws, but the laws sometimes does not makes sense. There's no way we'll pay/charge 9$ to ship as small packet items that we can ship for 1.50$ in an envelope, dunno what they expect

And for that reason I tend to run with the rule "if it looks like a letter, it is probably a letter"

Does a bubble mailer is automaticly suspected as a non letter package? Even if it's flat and looks like paper in it?

Is there a chance you could be investigated by a postal inspector and potentially fined for your actions which may or may not be considered customs fraud? I mean I guess

What's the worst case scenario if you get caught shipping a ''good'' with letterpost, or including plastic? I mean no one gonna go in jail for shipping a pokemon card in a toploader to USA, i guess lmao

I'm trying to figuring out shipping to US but i'm a bit confused there's no way we can use small packet on low expensive items and sell. It makes me hesitant too cause when i put a toploader in a sheet in an envelop, if it's touched it clearly feels like something is rigid in it. Not sure how to includes US shipping on some of my items

Message 47 of 50
latest reply

Canada Post doesn't provide an official definition of what they mean by "goods", but Google gives a definition of "merchandise or posessions" which is a fairly standard definition. Guess what: literally EVERYTHING that you sell (i.e. it has a commercial value) would be considered "goods" and therefore TECHNICALLY can NOT be shipped via International Letter-post and must go as a parcel with a customs declaration

While messing around, i saw that we actually can set up CP letterpost as shipping option on ebay. This is actually very weird that if legally we're not supposed to use letterpost to ship things we sell, that a selling platform like ebay gives us the option to offer CP letterpost as shipping. Seems contradictory 

Message 48 of 50
latest reply

Sent out 20+ letterrmail "packages" to USA  -  all received  no issues!

Message 49 of 50
latest reply

Good to know but this is a ZOMBIE THREAD  from last August.

Message 50 of 50
latest reply