Chit Chats: odd behaviour of their shipping calculator

I opened a Chit Chats account. I'm now trying various package sizes and weights to see their rates to various destinations. I also found that the shipping calculator has some unexpected behaviour. For example:

For a package 36 x 12 x 7 cm, it's 410 g. and Chit Chats recommends we round up, so I tried 450 grams and other nearby weights.

• For weight of 450 grams, it says Chit Chats U.S. Select is $12.
  • For weight of 454 grams, it says Chit Chats U.S. Select is $17.72.
  • For weight of 1 lb., it says Chit Chats U.S. Select is $15.43.

Issues:

• Adding only 4 g. weight (from 450 to 454) increases shipping cost by $5.72 or 46%.
  • It gives different shipping costs for 454 g. and 1 lb., but those are identical weights.

I asked Chit Chats support to look into this.

On Shipping Rates page, Chit Chats has three tables of sample rates at various weights to various Canadian, US and International destinations. Those rate tables could be very useful to us to see cost to several destinations, if the shown rates are accurate and up to date. I asked Chit Chats if they are accurate, but so far I don't have an answer. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

What does it say for a weight of 1.01 lbs?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Same price as for 454 grams,  Chit Chats U.S. Select  $17.72. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@toronto_tuttle wrote:

Same price as for 454 grams,  Chit Chats U.S. Select  $17.72. 

So the cutoff is 1 lb for the $15.43 rate. 454 grams is very slightly over 1 lb, so goes out at the next tier rate. I assume 453 grams is probably the 1 lb rate. That seems normal. I can't explain the 450g one though.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Use ounces instead of grams when you look up US rates. US is still using imperial. 

If you used 453 grams or 16 ounces you likely would have gotten $12, as 454 grams is technically speaking 16.0144 ounces so it's OVER 16 ounces. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply