Clearing up "Tracked Packet" Confusion

//just a heads up, this is going to be a long forum post. Get prepared for a read.

Hey everybody!

As some of you know (or may not), I've been working part time in a Postal Outlet for close to three years now to help cover my tuition costs. A Postal Outlet, for those who don't know, is a "Post Office" that is within another host business, like a Shoppers Drug Mart, or a grocery store. We offer the majority of Canada Post products and services, but by no means are we actually employees of Canada Post.

Now, as 99.9% of the sellers here recently found out, is that Small Packet Surface to the US is going to be discontinued, and every Small Packet service (US or international) is going to be losing it's $100 insurance coverage. To compensate for the changes, CP is going to be adding a service called "Tracked Packet" which will be a tracked & insured (max $100) parcel service available to the US and 20 international locations. There already have been multiple posts regarding this, so I won't be too general, I will get into specifics.

Working at a Postal Outlet, CP sends us these information emails known as "InfoPost" to inform us about important changes. We have gotten a January 2013 edition recently that explains most of the changes. What I write below is not copied exactly, is just a summary of what the big boys at Canada Post are telling us to know. Any section where you see // and then text is my comment.

Here's a summary of the infopost:

"On February 11, 2013, Tracked Packet will be introduced in all RPS post offices. This new service will include Tracked Packet - USA and Tracked Packet - International.

Tracked Packet service has been available since January 14, 2013, to commercial and online customers. As of February 11, RPS post offices can sell this service to consumers too!

The new Tracked Packet service will help us grow our e-commerce business by allowing customers who ship small, lightweight items to the United States and certain international destinations to track their shipments at a lower cost than other current barcoded services with up to $100 liability coverage included."

//that was on the front page, basically is a brief summary.

Tracked Packet Service Details

Tracking and delivery confirmation: provides barcode scans during the delivery process: induction, departure from Canada, arrival in destination country, attempted and successful delivery.

Delivery Standards: Delivery standards are between major centres and provide an expected delivery date guideline for the sender and receiver. USA: 4-7 business days. International: 6-10 business days DELIVERY STANDARDS ARE NOT GUARANTEED.

Liability Coverage: Up to $100 is included (no additional)

Max Weight: USA: Up to 1kg International Up to 2kg

Min Dimensions: 14cmx9cmx0.1cm

Max Dimensions: Length*width*height = 90cm (No one dimension can exceed 60cm)

Available to USA and Australia, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.

RPS will generate a barcode number and print a barcode label for all Tracked Packet items.

On all Tracked Packet items, a Small Packet Shipping Form (43-074-253) must be completed by the customer. You no longer have to complete the shaded area as these details are on the postage meter and customer receipt. You must also apply two blue Air Mail stickers (43-074-038).

//by the shaded area, CP is referring to the left side of the form where the clerk fills out RPO #, date, //weight, etc

The following steps must be completed for all items with a declared value greater than $500. An International Parcel Air/Surface CP72 shipping label must be completed and affixed to the item, and you must write /23 beside or below the CN22 notation for customs purposes. Reminder: coverage up to $100, with no additional.

//so if the item you are shipping is >$500, you need to fill out the other form, NOT the small packet form. //But no extra insurance is provided, even if your item is that expensive.

No zoning to the US, one rate will apply to all states. Non-express fuel surcharge will apply.

The RPS customer receipt will be updated to include, track/trace barcode, dangerous goods clause.

Important Dates:

January 14, 2013: Liability coverage is discontinued for USA/International Small Packet Air/Surface

February 11, 2013: Small Packet Surface - USA discontinued.

// I left out some parts of the infopost that were directly addressed to us, the clerks, such as how to do the // procedures on the computer. Hope this helps you all!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

boredhousewife*123
Community Member

🙂 thank you as buyer useful.. I used to work for postal outlets but so long ago they changed their rules.. Can you answer OP why Canada post before when US packages LK numbers used to show up on website.. Now buying in US recently again and the LK numbers my sellers posted will not even come up at all.. On the USPS site they do but not on Canada post..Thank-you

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

and every Small Packet service (US or international) is going to be losing it's $100 insurance coverage.

Insurance is already no longer available on Small packet USA and International.

Is TP available for Venture One customers? Are Venture One considered commercial? It must be because someone posted that they used Tracked Packet already.

Can I use discount postage stamps to pay for TP postage and get the barcode and receipt by bringing to the RPO?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

My information about --- International Parcel Air/Surface

(1) Airmail or surface mail

(2) insurance up to $100 is included in the price.

(3) Tracking included

(4) Extra insurance can be purchased

(5) Maximum insurance coverage depends on destination country

Your reference to this .International Parcel Air/Surface.. relative to Tracked Packet is confusing....

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Nick,

Has Canada Post bamboozled you into believing that the Tracked Packet service is compensation for withdrawing Small Packet Surface service to the US and removing insurance coverage from all Small Packets? Or is that your personal take on the subject?

Anyway, you've done a good job confirming what many of us have already realized: Tracked Packet is a bad joke.

I have no intention of ever using Tracked Packet but curiosity impels me to ask a question you may be able to answer. If you enter a nominal package weighing .300 g to USA in Canada Post's Find a Rate calculator, you obtain two rates for Tracked Packet: $45.58 and $15.18 (base prices). Do you have an explanation for this anomaly?

Tom

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Small packet forms are to be used....

Small packet forms currently in use   have the grey area to the right... Will that be different for Tracked Packet

Greater than $500 value....  with Tracked Packet... confusing

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Two rates for Tracked Packet....only with Ventureone  option

The higher rate is in error  because it is for Tracked Packet International... not Tracked Packet USA....

For a parcel weighing 0.9 kg  to the US... and the higher number.

the base number is $55.44 which is the base price for Tracked Packet International shipping to Zone 4

Zone 4 is Malaysia and Singapore

Canada Post is ignoring  my email about this error....sent about a week ago...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@boredhousewife*123

No problem 🙂 Some of the US tracking numbers aren't actually tracking numbers, and just proof of shipment numbers. If they are trackable on the USPS site, keep using that. Even my when I call my helpline at work, they tell me that the USPS website has their tracking information updated faster than CP does. As for why they do not work at all for CP, I'm not sure what to tell you there.

@ pocomocomputing

Yes, I know it's already gone. But I was reading from the sheet I had in front of me, and I guess I got my tenses mixed up? The infopost was dated beginning of Jan, so at that time insurance was still there.

According to the Infopost, TP is available for Venture One customers online. But after reading that thread about somebody having huge issues with TP, I would wait until the 14th when it is released to the retail Post Offices.

Yes, you can use loose stamps the same way you would for Canadian parcels. The clerk would have to print out the tracking barcode but using the stamps you provided.

@ cumos55

I'm sorry for confusing you. To the US, there is only Small Packet Air. For that service you would use the form you normally would ( I can't find an online picture, but I'm sure you know what I'm speaking of). So if you want to use TP and the value is between $0-$500, you would use the Small Packet form as there is no special form for TP. If the value of the parcel is >$500, you would use the International Air/Surface form. That is used for international parcels going by air or surface that are either >2kg, or need tracking. ( It kind of looks like this one, but in colour http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=canada+post+international+air+form&start=221&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=908&tbm=isch&tbnid=j9W2oTCaNEI8rM:&imgrefurl=http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-83-807/20120116/P1TT3xt3.html&docid=2rflfIOSburTsM&itg=1&imgurl=http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/images/SOR-83-807img/SOR-83-807_ef001.jpg&w=708&h=499&ei=wbEAUe6PDMbR2QWzm4HgDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=534&vpy=528&dur=497&hovh=148&hovw=210&tx=107&ty=111&sig=101837851486867871118&page=5&tbnh=148&tbnw=210&ndsp=56&ved=1t:429,r:43,s:200,i:133 ).

I hope that clears things up. If you're still confused let me know, and I'll try to get it more concise.

@ toff3

No, I don't believe anything CP tells me, I just summarize what was written on the sheet. Nothing (except what was stated in the // sections) I wrote was my opinion, just what was given to Postal Outlets.

As for the price differences, I have no clue. CP hasn't told us anything about prices. We just are going to get the surprise when the computer update happens.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

TP insurance is at a maximum of $100... No extra can be bought.  Shipping something worth $500 using TP international would be suicide,

Associating a value of $500 with TP does not make sense.... no insurance above $100

If I need insurance greater than $100 I would use Expedited Parcel USA, to the US  and International Parcel Surface or Air internationally.

Since TP International is limited to 20 countries at present,  then International Parcel  would be a good option for those other countries,  and also  if the total value of item plus shipping was not over $325 Canadian dollars , as per Paypal rules and signature confirmation required.....

Signature confirmation  as an option for international sales  becomes a very expensive option for shipping

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

What is the flat rate for USA?

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

The following is a link to Canada Post's site where one can do all the calculations to determine  the cost of postage.... cptools

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s1

Plug in USA

Any state

Your own postal code

weight 0.9 kg

size 28 cm x 20 cm x 4 cm

Click on find and get the answer...  for many options  incuding TP

Base cost ... fuel surcharge

For TP USA

Base Price   $18.48 plus fuel surcharge of $0.97  equals $19.45

If you have a Ventureone card  click on Show Savings....

Ignore the higher value for TP... That is wrong!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@cumos55

While it makes sense to ship expensive things with insurance, a lot of people that are sending things internationally to family/friends don't have that big an issue with insurance or not. I would say at least 75% of people that send a parcel overseas at the Postal Outlet that I work at don't care about insurance. Even at something is valued at over $300, they are content with just the $100 included insurance.

I guess CP is just trying to account for that demographic?

It would be much easier if CP just made a new TP declaration form, so that we don't have to worry about which form goes where in which instance.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

A new form for TP would be more than acceptable.....

The Small Packet name on a TP Package could be confusing.

Then a separate tag for Tracking.....

Shipping to family would be a lot different than shipping to a buyer.....

We will have to wait and see.....

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Hi Nick, thank you for your comprehensive breakdown on this service.  I really don't think my client's are going to pay $50 shipping for something that was $20 before, so as stated before will continue to offer small packet air and the tracked packet.  As I live close to the border, I am also seriously thinking of opening a PO box and shipping from Blaine Wash.  Just have to figure out their postal system before I make the decision.  The client's will have to wait as I will only go down once per week.  It means adjusting my listings on my own to include the US postal services instead, egad, why does eBay always make us work......noticing more and more sellers opening up on other venues as well where the fees aren't so exorbitant. You are one of the employees that are "serviced' that no many than most I deal with.  Good luck! 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

kashka
Community Member

Thanks for the info..My question ..is there still a discount for using Paypal label shipping?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

kashka
Community Member

Forget that question..I just remembered there was no discount for small packet...so we sellers are still SOL because of our greedy postal corp...but I see the USPS has just made some outrageous increases too..so I guess I will be selling and buying less online now.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

eBay has said that there will be a discount for Tracked packet through PayPal shipping.

If you have a Canada Post Venture One card, it will get you a 5% discount for tracked Packet at the Post Office.

The eBay help page on tracked packet show the prices at a 9% discount over published rate in Canada Post documentation.

So I am expecting at least a 5% discount for PayPal shipping, maybe it will be 9% like the eBay examples.

Not that is helps that much.

Tracked Packet is not a replacement for Small Packet without insurance now.

But it may be a cheaper alternative for users of Expedited Parcel. TP will most likely be cheaper for 250 grams parcels and maybe 500 grams parcels.

For 1 kg parcels, it will be close as to which service to use, Small Packet, Tracked Packet with 5-9% discount or Expedited Parcel with discount 25% all coming in at the $15 range.

One thing to note is that Tracked Packet does not use Dimensional weight like Expedited Parcel. This means that the size of the box does not matter (with the 90 cm limit of total dimension for Tracked Packet). So this will save $1-$3 on bigger boxes for TP over EP for the same service.

As mentioned before, the cheapest solution is to use Small Packet without insurance for low priced items. So called self insure. You decide how many losses (INR claims) that you will accept versus how much more it costs to buy third party insurance or bump up to Tracked Packet. Base it on past number of Canada Post insurance claims that you made. I have 1 lost (INR) Small Packet USA Air in 4+ years on 700 sales.

I also sell using Light Packet USA and International with no insurance and no lost (INR) claims.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply