Condition is "Used"

So many sellers, particularly in the US, have this as the only description of an item. It's redundant, of course, because Condition appears immediately under a listing's title, and it says next to nothing. Condition is "Used", I read, alongside photos of something that looks like it's been dug up and not even cleaned. "Used"— Really? You mean this rusty piece of junk isn't brand new?? And for a decent-looking item the description often makes me wonder if the seller isn't hiding something, especially when he/she won't even say if it's working. eBay is all over us now to Add Item Specifics, even when an item is painstakingly described. Instead of bugging helpful sellers, why don't they deal with the Condition is "Used" crowd and tell them to smarten up?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Condition is "Used"

Some people are just not capable and some are capable but not willing to make the effort to provide more details.

Understand, Item Specifics are used to help buyers find items they want, the Description is there to convince the buyer who has already found the listing to convert from a viewer to an actual buyer. Some sellers are obssessed with search and ignore the conversion aspect which in many cases is the most important thing.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Condition is "Used"

Because too many people decide that selling online is easy and don't bother with dumb stuff like making clear pictures, spelling  (Boler Hat/ china bowel), telling the customer what make and model the thing actually is (the part number is good enough right?), or what part it is ( Frabble used L@@K!!!!!), whether or not it works.

And remarkabley often the same "sellers" (should be "listers") have a No Refunds policy and will not ship to PO boxes because they copied someone else's ToS.

It makes the requirement for Item Specifics more reasonable when so many listings are missing basic information.

I blame Managed Payments.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply