Customers Unable to Complete Purchase Due to Shopping Cart

Hello, I have had many customers recently unable to use the shopping cart to complete their purchases. One customer from Brazil a couple months ago was unable to add items to their cart. I tried to help them but myself was not sure how to work around it, I lost that sale. Also a couple months ago, someone emailed me saying that when they went to purchase items, it came up immediate payment required, and they were unable to get combined shipping, so they didn't purchase from me even though I offered alternatives, I do not have immediate payment setup and never have. One customer last week from the USA said she was unable to add items to her cart and had to pay for the items separately, she didn't sound pleased about it. Just yesterday a customer from Australia had purchased a quanity of 3 of the same item, and then purchased the same item again separately, and when she went to pay, it would not allow her to. This is the message she sent me, "when i try to pay for my items, i get a warning that says "Your connection is not private" attackers might be trying to steal your information etc" and will not allow me to pay you.. i can go no further than that screen. the items are not appearing in my eBay cart. so i am only trying to connect via the link in the email invoice you have sent me. Does anyone else have this issue with trying to pay you?".

I know there are known cart issues, but it seems to be getting worse. Is there a work around for this, or is this being fixed soon if anyone knows? I can only imagine how many customers I have lost due to these cart issues, and other sellers as well. I have noticed my sales have been very slow the past month or so.

A different problem. A few months ago a buyer emailed me and said they were blocked from buying from me and didn't understand why, so I went and checked all my settings, and noticed they were actually blocked for being in a country I don't ship to, I ship worldwide and do not have any countries blocked and never have, I had to press the "exempt" button so they could purchase from me.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Customers Unable to Complete Purchase Due to Shopping Cart

Regarding blocked buyers. Here is my guess as to what is happening.

You have set up you countries shipped to using International Shipping - Choose Custom Location and then checking off the all of the regions or countries listed. The regions/countries available there are not the whole world but a subset of most common areas. For example, if you check off Australia and Asia you do not get the rest of Oceania (Pacific Islands and countries) with New Zealand being the most obvious one missing.

To set up true worldwide shipping, you need to choose Worldwide as your shipping option and set a price. Then if you want to exclude some countries, use the Exclude Shipping Locations in the listing or the global option for Exclude Shipping Options in My eBay Site Preferences (you must click apply to all listings for it to apply to all live listings).

So on eBay.ca set up the following way

Domestic (Canada) - choose Flat or Calculated and the options you want.

International (Flat or Calculated)

1) Choose Custom Location and check off USA and select your shipping option and rate (if flat)

2) Worldwide and choose your shipping option and rate (if flat). Use Exclude Shipping locations to block countries you do not want to ship to.

There is one issue with this setup. The USA gets listed with both the USA rate and the Worldwide rate. The buyer will have to choose the lower rate if they see both.  This is an old issue which eBay Canada refuses to allocate resources to fix along with other quirks and issues with shipping from Canada using eBay.ca.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I do not want any countries blocked, and none are blocked.

In my listings, I have it setup similar to how you're describing, except for International I have the countries checked separately and not worldwide, they are all checked except USA, because I already have USA setup separately, and you're right, USA shows both USA shipping and International shipping rates.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

In my listings, I have it setup similar to how you're describing, except for International I have the countries checked separately and not worldwide,

As poco said, setting them up like that is inadvertently excluding some countries because there is no shipping price set up for them. The custom locations on syi form do not include every country even if you check every one of them off. For example, your listings don't have a shipping cost for New Zealand, Cook Islands, Fijii, South Africa, Egypt and others. The only way to include every country is to check off worldwide under international shipping rather than check off specific areas.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Anyone shopping on .com or on the UK site cannot use a cart for items listed on .ca or any other site and that isn't expected to change soon.  They could sign into .ca and use the cart but most people are not going to know that.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I don't see the point of a cart if it can't be used on all ebay sites. Are you sure that if someone from International signs into ebay.ca they will be able to use the cart with no problems, so I can tell my customers this alternative next time this happens? Thanks to you both for the info, I will change my listings to worldwide shortly.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I don't see the point of a cart if it can't be used on all ebay sites.

I agree but for some reason when they set up the U.S. cart they only set it up to allow for .com listings. On .com they require immediate payment for most items whether or not the seller has requested it so that's why some people have said they have had to pay separately.

Are you sure that if someone from International signs into ebay.ca they will be able to use the cart with no problems, so I can tell my customers this alternative next time this happens?

I can't guarantee that there will be no problems as things don't always work as they should be the way the .ca cart has been set up, they should be able to sign into .ca, put items into the cart and then ask you for an invoice. If you set up combined shipping rules then they wouldn't have to ask you for an invoice although I realize that isn't always possible.

Buyers in  sites that have newer carts such as in Australia, France and Germany should be able to use their own cart to purchase your items. The problem that your buyer had in Australia sounds as if it something to do with their computer, not an ebay problem.

Theoretically, since .ca doesn't have immediate payment required, a buyer should be able to buy a number of items then ask for an invoice without using a cart.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply