Does anyone read German? Need to refund.

I have a buyer who stated that she never got the CD so I told her to go through ebay.  Now I don't read German, which one gives the buyer a full refund?

german.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Can't you copy and paste that into Google Translate?

https://translate.google.com

Otherwise, Rose-dee is knowledgable in German, I've heard on more than one occasion. You may reach her via Private Message.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I tried but soon as you hover over it, is selects it.  I don't want to do the wrong thing.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Try printing the page as a PDF and select the text then. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Also, selecting the text won't 'enter' it. You have to hit 'weiter' to continue. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

According to google translate:

1) Add tracking

2) Looks like the refund option

3) Send message to buyer

Disclaimer: I'm not a German and I don't play one on ebay either.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I right clicked on it and it gave me the option to translate to english.

Here it is:

german to english.jpg

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hi 'music' -- sorry I didn't see your post yesterday, I've been busy elsewhere lately and don't spend much time on eBay anymore.  Yes, I am fluent in German (and French as well - I was a professional translator many, many years ago), and am always happy to help where I can.  

For what it's worth at this point, since you've already found a solution to your question, I can tell you at least that the translation provided by eBay (by right-clicking) is completely accurate.  

I would always recommend to any seller that they use eBay's own internal translating feature first (assuming you don't speak the language in question) rather than using Google, etc.  EBay uses many terms and online jargon that just aren't well served by a general machine translation like Google.  In fact, outside translations can sometimes create more problems than they solve.  As you discovered, usually the eBay in-house translations are available by right-clicking, but I think I also recall seeing pop-ups.  In my experience, eBay's own translations are completely reliable (I sometimes test them on European sites to see how accurate they really are).

Context is everything, which is why, despite having tried since the late 1970's, programmers still haven't been able to create a thoroughly reliable machine translator.  In my opinion, Google translations are only helpful if you already have some basic grasp of the language.    

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I still think that it's silly that when a foreign buyer opens a case, the case is sent in the foreign language rather than the case recipient's own registered eBay platform's language... you'd think they'd know to switch it to the registered platform's language automatically but they don't =_=
Message 9 of 9
latest reply