Ebay Taxes? Cra?

Having difficult understanding if I have to or not have to report my sales/earnings on here. I have about 5k in sales and made a profit of 1.5k. Highest item that was sold for was $1000 before postage. The items are from my collection. I don’t have a hst/gst (tax number) and am a regular cra holder. My question is that; Do i need to report it or not?
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ebay Taxes? Cra?

No, you do not have to claim that; you're allowed to sell a reasonable amount of your property without reporting it.  That's a reasonable amount in my eyes lol

Cheers,

Joel

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The free advice you get online, is worth every penny you pay for it.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

https://www.advisor.ca/tax/tax-news/taxes-for-collectors/

That article might be relevant. 

I don't know what you mean by regular CRA holder. 

eBay charges taxes regardless now, so if you operate a business and ONLY sell on eBay, you should register for HST so that you can claim your input tax credits and get a refund on all the HST you pay on your business expenses, which for even a small business can be hundreds or thousands a year. 

(The reason I say if you only sell on eBay is that if you register, you have to charge taxes on every platform. Because eBay is already inflating the price of your item to the buyer through charging Canadian taxes, there is no real downside to registering, aside from additional paperwork.)

I don't know whether HST registration is allowed in the event that you're not running a business, but selling off pieces from a personal collection. Ultimately, those are the kind of things you'd have to figure out with an accountant. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply