Ebay is going into the phone buying and selling business.

10 REPLIES 10

The link doesn't work. I just get a "Page Not Responding" page.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Is this about the 'sell your phone' promo on ebay.com? I was invited under my buying ID. Isn't that regurgitation of the device-selling program from 2012/2013? I didn't look too closely, to be honest. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Here is the jist of it:

When your cell phone qualifies for Quick Sale, you referred to herein as "you" or "seller" will receive an offer price defined below amount for your phone. This offer is based on the phone model, features, accessories and condition that you specify and such other factors as eBay Valet determines relevant. You will receive a free shipping label to send in your phone to eBay Valet. Once the valets inspect and test your phone and verify that it is as you described, you will receive the offer amount (defined below) in your PayPal account. Testing and verification is at the discretion of and determined solely by the valets.

Valet selling services are provided by third-party processors. See Terms & Conditions.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I think it was called Quick Sale last time too but this seems to incorporate the eBay Valet which wasn't around in 2012/13.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

This Promotion will begin on January 21, 2017 at 00:00:01 PT (12:00AM plus one second), and will end on June 30, 2017 at 23:59:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds) for listings on www.ebay.com (the "Promotion Period"). eBay reserves the right to make changes to the Promotion Period at any time at its sole discretion.

So it's not really new as it's been available since January, and it's not going to be around for much longer as the promotion ends this month.

Reading through all the other terms, it seems like it's essentially an eBay consignment program for phones.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Interesting, given this is a category with such a high fraud rate.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

That's probably the reason. It's a hot seller and one where users get burned. I'd have to think a buyer or seller is less likely to attempt to scam eBay than they would a random person at the other end of a transaction.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
That's probably the reason. It's a hot seller and one where users get burned. I'd have to think a buyer or seller is less likely to attempt to scam eBay than they would a random person at the other end of a transaction.

You would think, or at least that ebay might actually look more closely at the buyer's claim history and the individual circumstances of the case. A consignment/valet arrangement with a higher level of buyer scrutiny would certainly make sense for high risk categories.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Yes. And for sellers too. We've seen cases come to Community where buyers haven't gotten the phone they thought they were buying too. It makes good sense to me that this may be a Category of sales where eBay pays closer mind to its transactions and adds an added layer of security to the deal.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Anyway, here is the Promo invitation for anyone who is interested in looking at it.... to complement the link already posted above.

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 8.15.55 PM.png

Message 11 of 11
latest reply